Re: [linux-dell-laptops] Inspiron 6000 advice please

  • E.M.Gardner
    Message 1 of 15 , Jan 1, 2006
      John Logsdon wrote:
      Happy New Year!

      Well at long last I managed to download Madriva 2006 Free from the .no
      site Herman suggested.  It needed an ftp anonymous login and I couldn't
      find it from the web page.  All that kept doing was directing me to the
      Mandriva club and supposed mirrors that didn't seem to have the right DVD
      iso on them.  Since I don't know whether I am going to use Mandriva, I
      don't want to do shell out for things that I won't use in the end.

      So I dropped a DVD iso onto a Mac mini I have and burnt a disk (eventually
      - I have also taken a dislike to the way Apple has implemented Unix but
      that's another story...)

      It wouldn't boot.  So I copied it over to the i6000 under Windows and
      burnt another disk.  Still wouldn't boot.  Then I copied over to the
      Kubuntu partition and wrote yet another disk (this time, DVD+RW! using
      K3d). And it booted and installed quite cleanly.  So much for Macs and
      Windows.

      But it doesn't include the ipw2200-firmware modules - you have to join the
      Mandriva club to get those.  I tried downloading the firmware from
      sourceforge as suggested.  I installed the *.fw version 2.3 files in
      /lib/hotplug/firmware/ and restarted the network but couldn't get it to
      work at all.

      When Kubuntu can bundle kwifimanager and everything so it works out of the
      box, why does Mandriva try to make things difficult?  I am only testing it
      and it fell at the first fence I am afraid.  If it had worked, I may well
      have joined the famous club.  But it didn't so I wont.

      I expect the DVD player would work except it needs libcss whatever and of
      course I have no net connection...  Same problem with Kubuntu.  It plays
      DVDs from my Sony camcorder OK.

      Other irritations - grub does not seem to have a grub.conf or menu.lst
      that I can edit to add the Kubuntu distro that is still on the machine on
      separate partitions - the default is for an old kernel so God knows where
      it gets it's information from.  Xterm is not available - rather like a
      Mac. But at least you can login to root and it doesn't vomit when using a
      graphic program.

      I will probably give up and run Windows on the laptop and wait for
      something that works with this fairly new hardware and doesn't annoy me.
      Or try to open up Kubuntu myself - at least it worked cleanly and is not
      quite as annoying as OSX!

      Best wishes

      John

      John Logsdon                               "Try to make things as simple
      Quantex Research Ltd, Manchester UK         as possible but not simpler"
      j.logsdon@...              a.einstein@...
      +44(0)161 445 4951/G:+44(0)7717758675       www.quantex-research.com

      On Fri, 30 Dec 2005, Herman wrote:

      John Logsdon wrote:

      Folks

      Mandriva looks interesting but I have some questions:

      I wonder why it needs ndiswrapper with which I have had problems on an old
      machine?  [K]ubuntu uses Kwifimanager from KDE 3.4.3 which works fine.

      Depends on the WiFi device. I don't know what is in there.  If it is
      Intel, then use the Intel driver.  If it is Broadcom, then use ndiswrapper.

      Does suspend to disk also work automatically after some time of non-use or
      by closing the lid or do you have to Fn-ESC to get it to close down?

      It should be configurable somewhere, but I haven't bothered to look into it.

      Does the i6000 under Mandriva play videos? I tried installing Kaffeine
      under Kubuntu and there is still a codecs problem.

      Yes, video playing works out of the box.

      Are there yum repositories available?  I use yum with CentOS and it has a
      lot of benefits but of course CentOS as an enterprise level distro does
      not have the latest stuff in it...

      Yes/No - Mandriva uses a process called urpmi that does the same thing.
      Actually, Mandriva was first - Redhat copied the idea.

      Does Mandriva follow RedHat slavishly and include SELinux by default?

      Mandriva split off RedHat 5.0 which is a long time ago.  I'm not sure
      about SELinux availability.  Mandriva has their own security system
      called msec which seems to do the same thing.

      Without downloading the DVD, I can't see a list of the Free Mandriva 2006
      contents on the web site.

      You can install off a free mirror:
      ftp.uninett.no/pub/linux/Mandrakelinux/official/2006.0

      More stuff are available from the Penguin Liberation Front at
      http://www.zarb.org

      Cheers,

      Herman

      Best wishes

      John

      John Logsdon                               "Try to make things as simple
      Quantex Research Ltd, Manchester UK         as possible but not simpler"
      j.logsdon@...              a.einstein@...
      +44(0)161 445 4951/G:+44(0)7717758675       www.quantex-research.com

      On Thu, 29 Dec 2005, Herman wrote:

      I recently installed Fedora 4 on a machine and it felt like I discovered
      the secret of time travel and was back in the year 2000.  FC deserves
      first prize as the the clunkiest Linux distro.

      If you like the RedHat way, but want to have a modern system, then you
      should look at Mandriva.  Version 2006 runs perfectly on my notebook.
      Suspend to disk and the WiFi adaptor (using ndiswrapper) worked out of
      the box.

      The only 'fix' required after install, is to uninstall the catalogue
      program 'kat' which has a bad performance bug.

      Here is a guide: http://www.aerospacesoftware.com/notebook-howto.html

      Cheers,

      H.

      John Logsdon wrote:

      Can anyone recommend a RedHat based installation for an Inspiron 6000?

      I currently have Kubuntu on it but this annoys me no end - for example why
      does it assume ssh1 rather than 2 so I have to remember ssh -2 -X
      everytime I hook up to something; rolling my own kernel does not install
      itself with the usual (ie built into the vanilla tree) make;make
      install;make modules_install for some reason to do with the grub
      installation (I want to try suspend2 and it patches 2.6.14.4 OK but
      doesn't install without hand editing the menu.lst); if I su - into root, I
      can't use X to display for some reason ...

      There are many other things that I know are trivial and no doubt
      Debian-lovers will ask what's the problem but I really haven't got the
      time to delve into the depths - I know RH-derivatives reasonably well.

      The only advantage Kubuntu seems to have is that it handles the wireless
      card OK but this is more a function I think of the version of KDE that is
      installed.  I have CentOS 4.1 on an old Tosh laptop but that doesn't
      handle WEP128 (yes - hold your sides giggling at security!) as it seems
      that version of KDE forgot it (3.3.1).

      So has anyone tried (eg) FC4 with any success?  I saw on linux-laptops.net
      that this was for some reason very slow.  Or any other distro?  That works
      with wireless channel 13 under WEP128, uses the full res of the screen and
      will play DVDs properly?

      TIA

      John

      John Logsdon                               "Try to make things as simple
      Quantex Research Ltd, Manchester UK         as possible but not simpler"
      j.logsdon@...              a.einstein@...
      +44(0)161 445 4951/G:+44(0)7717758675       www.quantex-research.com

      Herman Oosthuysen, B.Eng(E), MIEEE
      Aerospace Software Ltd.
      255 Edenwold Drive NW
      Calgary, AB, T3A 4A4, Canada
      Phone: 1.403.852-5545
      http://www.AerospaceSoftware.com

          http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

      Dowload the suse 10 dvd ... after you get up and running join the IRC channel on freenode and you'll be rockin within mintues ...

      --

      In a world without walls or fences ... who needs Windows or Gates ??

      --unknown--

      Registered Linux User #403007

    • Calen Martin D. Legaspi, SCEA
      Message 2 of 15 , Jan 1, 2006
        I'm also on the Inspiron 6000 and have tried several distros (Kubuntu, Ubuntu, FC4) before finally settling on CentOS.  I'm quite happy with CentOS.  Here are some helpful CentOS post-installation notes: http://www.a.phys.nagoya-u.ac.jp/~taka/linux/co4note-eng.html

        Calen

        On 12/30/05, John Logsdon <j.logsdon@...> wrote:
[...]

        Dell laptop battery Notebook computers Dell laptop repair
        Dell laptop Dell laptop part Laptop notebook computer

        YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

        --
        Calen Martin D. Legaspi
        Sun Certified Enterprise Architect
        Message 3 of 15 , Jan 1, 2006
          Here is a Mandriva 2006 Howto - hot off the press:
          http://www.aerospacesoftware.com/howto-2006.html

          John Logsdon wrote:

          >It wouldn't boot. So I copied it over to the i6000 under Windows and
          >burnt another disk. Still wouldn't boot. Then I copied over to the
          >Kubuntu partition and wrote yet another disk (this time, DVD+RW! using
          >K3d). And it booted and installed quite cleanly. So much for Macs and
          >Windows.

          I guess you burned the file as a regular data CD, instead of burning it
          as an ISO image.

          >But it doesn't include the ipw2200-firmware modules - you have to join the
          >Mandriva club to get those. I tried downloading the firmware from
          >sourceforge as suggested. I installed the *.fw version 2.3 files in
          >/lib/hotplug/firmware/ and restarted the network but couldn't get it to
          >work at all.

          All you need to know is on the Intel web site:
          http://ipw2200.sourceforge.net/

          >Other irritations - grub does not seem to have a grub.conf or menu.lst
          >that I can edit to add the Kubuntu distro that is still on the machine on
          >separate partitions - the default is for an old kernel so God knows where
          >it gets it's information from. Xterm is not available - rather like a
          >Mac. But at least you can login to root and it doesn't vomit when using a
          >graphic program.

          /boot/grub/

          Anyhoo, the boot schtuff is managed by the Mandriva MCC wizard drakconf.

          Installing on a notebook is not easy, but I'm typing away on mine right
          now and everything works, even the winmodem and suspend to disk.

          Cheers,

          H.
        • hamed
          Message 4 of 15 , Jan 1, 2006
            hi
            i am new user linux 10 ,after install it i see that need login and
            pasword and so i ask for this login and password
          • John Logsdon
            Message 5 of 15 , Jan 2, 2006
              I presume that the DVD wasn't bootable. There was no bootable flag to set
              on iDVD on the Mac but I did 'click' on the Windoze bootable flag.
              Anyway that problem is sorted now thanks to K3d.

              I probably need to compile the ipw2200 drivers against the MDK headers to
              get it to work.

              It seems that menu.lst is created only *after* drakconf is run so now I
              can include the two distros and Windows on the same machine.

              I am waiting to see whether CentOS4.2 will handle 128WEP wifi because I
              know that distro well and, despite RH's fascination with SELinux, it would
              be my distro of choice.

              On Sun, 1 Jan 2006, Herman wrote:

              > Here is a Mandriva 2006 Howto - hot off the press:
              > http://www.aerospacesoftware.com/howto-2006.html
              >
              > John Logsdon wrote:
              >
              > >It wouldn't boot. So I copied it over to the i6000 under Windows and
              > >burnt another disk. Still wouldn't boot. Then I copied over to the
              > >Kubuntu partition and wrote yet another disk (this time, DVD+RW! using
              > >K3d). And it booted and installed quite cleanly. So much for Macs and
              > >Windows.
              > >

              > I guess you burned the file as a regular data CD, instead of burning it
              > as an ISO image.
              >
              > >But it doesn't include the ipw2200-firmware modules - you have to join the
              > >Mandriva club to get those. I tried downloading the firmware from
              > >sourceforge as suggested. I installed the *.fw version 2.3 files in
              > >/lib/hotplug/firmware/ and restarted the network but couldn't get it to
              > >work at all.
              > >

              > All you need to know is on the Intel web site:
              > http://ipw2200.sourceforge.net/
              >
              > >Other irritations - grub does not seem to have a grub.conf or menu.lst
              > >that I can edit to add the Kubuntu distro that is still on the machine on
              > >separate partitions - the default is for an old kernel so God knows where
              > >it gets it's information from. Xterm is not available - rather like a
              > >Mac. But at least you can login to root and it doesn't vomit when using a
              > >graphic program.
              > >

              > /boot/grub/
              >
              > Anyhoo, the boot schtuff is managed by the Mandriva MCC wizard drakconf.
              >
              > Installing on a notebook is not easy, but I'm typing away on mine right
              > now and everything works, even the winmodem and suspend to disk.
              >
              > Cheers,
              >
              > H.

            • Haedn Thorn
              Message 6 of 15 , Jan 2, 2006
                --- hamed <hmdrf@...> wrote:

                > hi
                > i am new user linux 10 ,after install it i see that need login and
                > pasword and so i ask for this login and password

                You should be able to create a password during install. If you were not
                prompted for any usernames during the installation, the only default user is
                "root". If you weren't prompted for a password, then the default would be no
                password (just hit <enter>)