Fedora 4 on Dell XPS M140

  • MM
    Message 1 of 12 , Jan 1, 2006
      Hello all,

      I'm new to this board. Just wanted to wish everyone a Happy New
      Yrs...

      I was wondering has anyone loaded Fedora 4 on a Dell XPS M140 the new
      ones?

      Here are my spec's for it.

      Dell XPS M140
      Intel® Pentium® M Processor 750 (1.86GHz/2MB Cache/533MHz FSB)
      Genuine Windows® XP Media Center Edition 2005
      14.1 inch WXGA TrueLife™ LCD Panel
      1GB Shared DDR2 SDRAM 2 Dimms
      100GB 7200rpm Hard Drive
      Intel® PRO 2200 Internal Wireless (802.11 b/g, 54Mbps)
      Integrated Intel® Graphics Media Accelerator 900

      Any feedback would be great.

      Louie
    • Herman
      Message 2 of 12 , Jan 1, 2006
        Looking at the specs - it should work OK.

        However, FC4 is very clunky. You may want to try something more modern
        such as Suse or Mandriva. (RedHat is always 3 years behind the rest of
        the world).

        Cheers,

        H.

        MM wrote:

        >Hello all,
        >
        >I'm new to this board. Just wanted to wish everyone a Happy New
        >Yrs...
        >
        >I was wondering has anyone loaded Fedora 4 on a Dell XPS M140 the new
        >ones?
        >
        >Here are my spec's for it.
        >
        >Dell XPS M140
        >Intel® Pentium® M Processor 750 (1.86GHz/2MB Cache/533MHz FSB)
        >Genuine Windows® XP Media Center Edition 2005
        >14.1 inch WXGA TrueLife™ LCD Panel
        >1GB Shared DDR2 SDRAM 2 Dimms
        >100GB 7200rpm Hard Drive
        >Intel® PRO 2200 Internal Wireless (802.11 b/g, 54Mbps)
        >Integrated Intel® Graphics Media Accelerator 900
        >
        >Any feedback would be great.
        >

        >Louie

      • parenthetically_yours
        Message 3 of 12 , Jan 1, 2006
          Herman / Louie

          > However, FC4 is very clunky. You may want to try something more modern
          > such as Suse or Mandriva. (RedHat is always 3 years behind the rest of
          > the world).

          I don't want to start a distro war but I can't agree with your comments.

          I'm running FC4 with a 2.6.14 kernel and I wouldn't say it's 3 years
          behind. I've always thought of Fedora as a good balance between
          bleeding edge without being totally broken. If you want more bleeding
          edge then the FC5 tests have started.

          Valid criticisms of Fedora from a users' point of view could be that
          it doesn't include non-free software, so things like ipw, modems and
          mp3 won't work without some effort. Also if you're a KDE fan then
          Fedora might feel like you're swimming against the tide. But it's not
          years behind.

          For practical help, if it's any encouragement I'm running an Inspiron
          6000, Pentium M740, WUXGA screen, IPW2200, Radeon x300, SATA disk with
          FC4 (plus updates). You'll need the firmware for the IPW (unpack it
          into /lib/firmware).

          /PY
        • Herman
          Message 4 of 12 , Jan 1, 2006
            >Valid criticisms of Fedora from a users' point of view could be that
            >it doesn't include non-free software, so things like ipw, modems and
            >mp3 won't work without some effort. Also if you're a KDE fan then
            >Fedora might feel like you're swimming against the tide.

            Well, exactly - couldn't have said it better myself... ;)
          • Tux-Guy ;-)
            Message 5 of 12 , Jan 2, 2006
              parenthetically_yours/Herman,

              Thank you for the feedback on Fedora 4. I can't wait until I get my laptop this week. I just need to find a howto for installing it on that laptop. Would any of you know a good place to look for it? I look threw google plus also the linux laptop . I don't see my model for F4.

              Plus installing it on a dell would that be hard? I want to keep Xp on it also too. So I think that I will have a dual OS on it, in case I need it for school .

              Thank you once again for repling.

              linux-dell-laptops@yahoogroups.com wrote:
              There are 12 messages in this issue.

              Topics in this digest:

              1. Re: Fedora 4 on Dell XPS M140
              From: Herman
              2. Re: Fedora 4 on Dell XPS M140
              From: "parenthetically_yours"
              3. Re: Inspiron 6000 advice please
              From: John Logsdon
              4. Re: Inspiron 6000 advice please
              From: "E.M.Gardner"
              5. Re: Inspiron 6000 advice please
              From: "Calen Martin D. Legaspi, SCEA"
              6. Re: Re: Fedora 4 on Dell XPS M140
              From: Herman
              7. Re: Inspiron 6000 advice please
              From: Herman
              8. i need help
              From: "hamed"
              9. connecting linux system with windows using telnet
              From: "nitin_sherry2000"
              10. Re: Inspiron 6000 advice please
              From: John Logsdon
              11. OpenSuse on Dell Inspiron 9300
              From: Navin Dhanuka
              12. Re: i need help
              From: Haedn Thorn

              Message: 1
              Date: Sun, 01 Jan 2006 11:36:47 -0700
              From: Herman
              Subject: Re: Fedora 4 on Dell XPS M140

              MM wrote:

              >Hello all,
              >
              >I'm new to this board. Just wanted to wish everyone a Happy New
              >Yrs...
              >
              >I was wondering has anyone loaded Fedora 4 on a Dell XPS M140 the new
              >ones?
              >
              >Here are my spec's for it.
              >
              >Dell XPS M140
              >Intel® Pentium® M Processor 750 (1.86GHz/2MB Cache/533MHz FSB)
              >Genuine Windows® XP Media Center Edition 2005
              >14.1 inch WXGA TrueLife™ LCD Panel
              >1GB Shared DDR2 SDRAM 2 Dimms
              >100GB 7200rpm Hard Drive
              >Intel® PRO 2200 Internal Wireless (802.11 b/g, 54Mbps)
              >Integrated Intel® Graphics Media Accelerator 900
              >
              >Any feedback would be great.
              >

              >Louie

              Message: 2
              Date: Sun, 01 Jan 2006 22:27:10 -0000
              From: "parenthetically_yours"

              Herman / Louie

              > However, FC4 is very clunky. You may want to try something more modern
              > such as Suse or Mandriva. (RedHat is always 3 years behind the rest of
              > the world).

              I don't want to start a distro war but I can't agree with your comments.

              I'm running FC4 with a 2.6.14 kernel and I wouldn't say it's 3 years
              behind. I've always thought of Fedora as a good balance between
              bleeding edge without being totally broken. If you want more bleeding
              edge then the FC5 tests have started.

              Valid criticisms of Fedora from a users' point of view could be that
              it doesn't include non-free software, so things like ipw, modems and
              mp3 won't work without some effort. Also if you're a KDE fan then
              Fedora might feel like you're swimming against the tide. But it's not
              years behind.

              For practical help, if it's any encouragement I'm running an Inspiron
              6000, Pentium M740, WUXGA screen, IPW2200, Radeon x300, SATA disk with
              FC4 (plus updates). You'll need the firmware for the IPW (unpack it
              into /lib/firmware).

              /PY

              Message: 3
              Date: Sun, 1 Jan 2006 22:30:44 +0000 (GMT)
              From: John Logsdon
              Subject: Re: Inspiron 6000 advice please

              Happy New Year!

              Well at long last I managed to download Madriva 2006 Free from the .no
              site Herman suggested. It needed an ftp anonymous login and I couldn't
              find it from the web page. All that kept doing was directing me to the
              Mandriva club and supposed mirrors that didn't seem to have the right DVD
              iso on them. Since I don't know whether I am going to use Mandriva, I
              don't want to do shell out for things that I won't use in the end.

              So I dropped a DVD iso onto a Mac mini I have and burnt a disk (eventually
              - I have also taken a dislike to the way Apple has implemented Unix but
              that's another story...)

              It wouldn't boot. So I copied it over to the i6000 under Windows and
              burnt another disk. Still wouldn't boot. Then I copied over to the
              Kubuntu partition and wrote yet another disk (this time, DVD+RW! using
              K3d). And it booted and installed quite cleanly. So much for Macs and
              Windows.

              But it doesn't include the ipw2200-firmware modules - you have to join the
              Mandriva club to get those. I tried downloading the firmware from
              sourceforge as suggested. I installed the *.fw version 2.3 files in
              /lib/hotplug/firmware/ and restarted the network but couldn't get it to
              work at all.

              When Kubuntu can bundle kwifimanager and everything so it works out of the
              box, why does Mandriva try to make things difficult? I am only testing it
              and it fell at the first fence I am afraid. If it had worked, I may well
              have joined the famous club. But it didn't so I wont.

              I expect the DVD player would work except it needs libcss whatever and of
              course I have no net connection... Same problem with Kubuntu. It plays
              DVDs from my Sony camcorder OK.

              Other irritations - grub does not seem to have a grub.conf or menu.lst
              that I can edit to add the Kubuntu distro that is still on the machine on
              separate partitions - the default is for an old kernel so God knows where
              it gets it's information from. Xterm is not available - rather like a
              Mac. But at least you can login to root and it doesn't vomit when using a
              graphic program.

              I will probably give up and run Windows on the laptop and wait for
              something that works with this fairly new hardware and doesn't annoy me.
              Or try to open up Kubuntu myself - at least it worked cleanly and is not
              quite as annoying as OSX!

              Best wishes

              John

              John Logsdon "Try to make things as simple
              Quantex Research Ltd, Manchester UK as possible but not simpler"
              j.logsdon@... a.einstein@...
              +44(0)161 445 4951/G:+44(0)7717758675 www.quantex-research.com

              On Fri, 30 Dec 2005, Herman wrote:

              > John Logsdon wrote:
              >
              > >Folks
              > >
              > >Mandriva looks interesting but I have some questions:
              > >
              > >I wonder why it needs ndiswrapper with which I have had problems on an old
              > >machine? [K]ubuntu uses Kwifimanager from KDE 3.4.3 which works fine.
              > >

              > Depends on the WiFi device. I don't know what is in there. If it is
              > Intel, then use the Intel driver. If it is Broadcom, then use ndiswrapper.
              >
              > >Does suspend to disk also work automatically after some time of non-use or
              > >by closing the lid or do you have to Fn-ESC to get it to close down?
              > >

              > It should be configurable somewhere, but I haven't bothered to look into it.
              >
              > >Does the i6000 under Mandriva play videos? I tried installing Kaffeine
              > >under Kubuntu and there is still a codecs problem.
              > >

              > Yes, video playing works out of the box.
              >
              > >Are there yum repositories available? I use yum with CentOS and it has a
              > >lot of benefits but of course CentOS as an enterprise level distro does
              > >not have the latest stuff in it...
              > >

              > Yes/No - Mandriva uses a process called urpmi that does the same thing.
              > Actually, Mandriva was first - Redhat copied the idea.
              >
              > >Does Mandriva follow RedHat slavishly and include SELinux by default?
              > >

              > Mandriva split off RedHat 5.0 which is a long time ago. I'm not sure
              > about SELinux availability. Mandriva has their own security system
              > called msec which seems to do the same thing.
              >
              > >Without downloading the DVD, I can't see a list of the Free Mandriva 2006
              > >contents on the web site.
              > >

              > You can install off a free mirror:
              > ftp.uninett.no/pub/linux/Mandrakelinux/official/2006.0
              >
              > More stuff are available from the Penguin Liberation Front at
              > http://www.zarb.org
              >
              > Cheers,
              >
              > Herman
              >
              > >Best wishes
              > >
              > >John
              > >
              > >John Logsdon "Try to make things as simple
              > >Quantex Research Ltd, Manchester UK as possible but not simpler"
              > >j.logsdon@... a.einstein@...
              > >+44(0)161 445 4951/G:+44(0)7717758675 www.quantex-research.com
              > >

              > >On Thu, 29 Dec 2005, Herman wrote:
              > >

              > >>I recently installed Fedora 4 on a machine and it felt like I discovered
              > >>the secret of time travel and was back in the year 2000. FC deserves
              > >>first prize as the the clunkiest Linux distro.
              > >>
              > >>If you like the RedHat way, but want to have a modern system, then you
              > >>should look at Mandriva. Version 2006 runs perfectly on my notebook.
              > >>Suspend to disk and the WiFi adaptor (using ndiswrapper) worked out of
              > >>the box.
              > >>
              > >>The only 'fix' required after install, is to uninstall the catalogue
              > >>program 'kat' which has a bad performance bug.

> [...]

              Message: 4
              Date: Sun, 01 Jan 2006 18:31:42 -0500
              From: "E.M.Gardner"

              John Logsdon wrote:
> [...]
              >> Actually, Mandriva was first - Redhat copied the idea.
              >>

              >>> Does Mandriva follow RedHat slavishly and include SELinux by default?
              >>>

              >> Mandriva split off RedHat 5.0 which is a long time ago. I'm not sure
              >> about SELinux availability. Mandriva has their own security system
              >> called msec which seems to do the same thing.
              >>

              >>> Without downloading the DVD, I can't see a list of the Free Mandriva 2006
              >>> contents on the web site.
              >>>

              >> You can install off a free mirror:
              >> ftp.uninett.no/pub/linux/Mandrakelinux/official/2006.0
              >>
              >> More stuff are available from the Penguin Liberation Front at
              >> http://www.zarb.org
              >>
              >> Cheers,
              >>
              >> Herman
              >>

              >>> Best wishes
              >>>
              >>> John
              >>>
              >>> John Logsdon "Try to make things as simple
              >>> Quantex Research Ltd, Manchester UK as possible but not simpler"

              === message truncated ===

              Yahoo! Photos

            • Herman
              Message 6 of 12 , Jan 2, 2006
                Honestly, I would not willingly install Fedora on anything, but installation thereof is very easy.  You just insert the first CD and follow the prompts.  You should end up with a mostly working machine.

                Important considerations are:
                a. Partitioning:  By default, Fedora puts everything in one partition.  This is fine, till the day you want to upgrade - it is better to have at least at separate /home partition.
                b. Encryption:  Notebooks get stolen.  Fedora doesn't provide the ability to encrypt the /home and /swap partitions, Mandriva does.
                c. You wil probably run into some issues with Suspend to disk, WiFi and the modem, irrespective of the distribution you use.
                d. Instruction set: FC uses the i386 instruction set, which makes your machine slow.  Mandriva uses the i586 instruction set.

                The trouble with FC is that it makes a brand new machine that you just spent oodles of money on, feel like something that is already 3 years old, slow and clunky - your call though.

                Cheers,

                Herman

                Message 7 of 12 , Jan 2, 2006
                  Tux-Guy, I'll try to give some tips on your forthcoming install.
                  Herman I'm shocked at your FUD... But practical help first.

                  When I got my Inspiron new it had an 80Gb drive with three partitions
                  filling the disk. The first was a small Dell diagnostic partition -
                  you can boot to this if you have problems and do diagnostic things.
                  The second was the WinXP partition and filled most of the disk. The
                  last one was a recovery partition.

                  I removed the recovery partition and resized the WinXP partition to
                  20Gb, leaving the diagnostics in place. Here's what I did: first check
                  the Dell manual which tells you how to burn a recovery disk. Make one.
                  Then the manual tells you how to remove the recovery partition. I then
                  used RIP (a lightweight linux rescue system) to shrink the XP
                  filesystem and it's partition. You could use other free tools (eg.
                  Knoppix) or something like Partition Magic. This left me with plenty
                  of space for a linux install.

                  (RIP: http://www.tux.org/pub/people/kent-robotti/looplinux/rip/)

                  Since the machine comes with a full disk you will have to do something
                  like the above no matter which distro you choose, and it's well worth
                  knowing about the partition layout (for example if you chose to keep
                  the first partition and blow away the rest you would lose XP and have
                  a nice diagnostics partition to boot to!).

                  Now a word or two on the FUD!

                  > a. Partitioning: By default, Fedora puts everything in one partition.

                  Nope there's usually a separate boot, swap and the rest is a LVM
                  partition. This makes sense unless you think a naive user will know
                  how big to make the home partition. If we're not talking about naive
                  users then Fedora still gives you the chance to partition manually -
                  so where's the beef?

                  > b. Encryption: Notebooks get stolen. Fedora doesn't provide the
                  > ability to encrypt the /home and /swap partitions, Mandriva does.

                  That's nice but recent Dells give you the ability to password protect
                  the computer and the disk - many people won't use it though because
                  it's a pain if you want to move the disk from the machine. I suspect
                  for most users encrypting the disk will be more trouble than it's worth.

                  > d. Instruction set: FC uses the i386 instruction set, which makes your
                  > machine slow.

                  It sounds impressive but it's not that much of a performance
                  difference - the full discussion of the pros and cons was had recently
                  on another list. The gist of it was that the small performance
                  improvement would cost lots of hassle in finding compatible pre-built
                  software and would cause hassle for people that build software. Also
                  the important multimedia apps already have code to detect different
                  CPUs and make the most of them. Not worth the hassle. Contrast this
                  with support for 64bit CPUs which is worth the effort.

                  Finally, if you decide to go for Fedora, it's well worth joining the
                  fedora users mailing list:

                  /PY
                • Herman
                  Message 8 of 12 , Jan 2, 2006
                    Oh good grief - consider that I have 10 Mandriva, 7 Fedora and one
                    Ubuntu machine at last count (and countless Windoze machines).

                    parenthetically_yours wrote:

                    >Nope there's usually a separate boot, swap and the rest is a LVM
                    >partition.

                    What I mean is that by default everything of importance is in /.
                    Therefore, when you want to re-install the system and have to format /,
                    your home dir is also formatted and all your data is wiped. It is very
                    easy to create a /home during installation and resizing partitions later
                    is easy too. Then you can re-install without having to reformat /home.
                    So, just be careful during the install of FC - don't just blindly accept
                    all defaults.

                    >I suspect for most users encrypting the disk will be more trouble than it's worth.

                    Encrypting the /swap and /home partitions is very easy with Mandriva.
                    The system asks you for your passphrase at startup and after that it is
                    transparant. See this: http://www.aerospacesoftware.com/raid-howto.html
                    and scroll down to the heading Encrypted File Systems.

                    It works on servers too. If a server would reboot due to a power
                    failure, then the passphrase request will timeout. You can then later
                    log in via SSH and mount /home manually, at which point the system will
                    ask for the passphrase.

                    The Dell password system is useless - a 10 year old can rip the disk
                    drive from a machine and read it on another...

                    >The gist of it was that the small performance
                    >improvement would cost lots of hassle in finding compatible pre-built
                    >software and would cause hassle for people that build software.

                    Sorry, it is a performance hit and what is that about difficulty with
                    finding software? My Mandriva 2006 mirror occupies almost 30GB. That
                    is the opposite problem of having a shortage. Anyhoo, source code is
                    processor independent.

                    BTW, all my Fedora machines are running standard kernels downloaded from
                    kernel.org and compiled for i586. That happened due to a SSL problem in
                    FC4. I had to re-install and recompile a shedload of stuff to make FC4
                    work. Overall, I am extremely unimpressed with FC4 - it cost me a hell
                    of a lot of time and money, but the client wanted it...

                    Cheers,

                    H.
                  • parenthetically_yours
                    Message 9 of 12 , Jan 2, 2006
                      Herman

                      I hope we're on the same side here - pro linux on Dell laptops. To be
                      honest I have nothing against Mandriva, but I find your anti Fedora
                      comments unhelpful.

                      > Oh good grief - consider that I have 10 Mandriva, 7 Fedora and one
                      > Ubuntu machine at last count (and countless Windoze machines).

                      Fine - I would have thought that gave you a more balanced viewpoint.

                      You suggest disk encryption, which will cost a 2% performance hit
                      (according to the link you gave). It will also make it harder to reuse
                      the home partition with other installations of linux.

                      You recommend using i586 optimised binaries on an i686 which will give
                      you what performance improvement over typical i386 code? I'm guessing
                      you'd struggle to get 2% without fiddling the benchmarks. Try harder,
                      read the kernel docs and go pester your distro for i686 binaries :)

                      Now bear in mind that most processes are IO-bound (rather than CPU
                      bound). I'll take my 2% performance boost by having unencrypted disk
                      access, thanks.

                      Finally, you say the Dell HDD password is useless, I disagree, you'll
                      find that it's cheaper to replace the HDD in a stolen notebook than
                      send it off to get the HDD password reset. Yes it's possible to
                      circumvent but the disk won't just work in another machine, and the
                      average 10yo won't be much help. It also protects the whole disk,
                      including the windows partitions, with no overheads (unlike software
                      encryption of specific partitions).

                      (ref: http://www.pwcrack.com/harddisk.shtml,
                      http://www.vogon-forensic-hardware.co.uk/forensic-hardware/data-capture/password-cracker-pod.htm)

                      /PY
                    • Herman
                      Message 10 of 12 , Jan 2, 2006
                        >Finally, you say the Dell HDD password is useless, I disagree, you'll
                        >find that it's cheaper to replace the HDD in a stolen notebook than
                        >send it off to get the HDD password reset. Yes it's possible to
                        >circumvent but the disk won't just work in another machine, and the
                        >average 10yo won't be much help. It also protects the whole disk,
                        >including the windows partitions, with no overheads (unlike software
                        >encryption of specific partitions).

                        You can't replace the HDD in a stolen notebook - the machine is gone -
                        you don't have it anymore. Unless you are the asshat whole stole the
                        notebook... ;-)

                        The purpose of encryption is to prevent the person who stole the
                        machine, from reading your accounting and other sensitive data.
                        Mandriva uses AES encryption. Without the passphrase, a thief cannot
                        access your data. The only thing the thief can do, is format and
                        re-install. (I had an IBM Stinkpad stolen and got an $8000 credit card
                        bill a couple of months later - since then, I'm using encryption
                        religiously!).

                        The Dell BIOS password doesn't help in this regard, since it is trivial
                        to circumvent. As I mentioned, simply insert the disk drive in a
                        desktop machine and read it. The password may be good protection
                        against your little kid sister who doesn't know how to use a screw
                        driver, but it sure won't help against my teenage son... :)

                        Cheers,

                        H.
                      • parenthetically_yours
                        Message 11 of 12 , Jan 2, 2006
                          Herman

                          Not sure if you're aware of the Dell passwords. There are three, user,
                          admin and a separate HDD password.

                          The HDD password does pretty much what you describe, and more. It
                          prevents the disk from being used outside the machine. IT WON'T WORK
                          IN A DESKTOP WITHOUT THE PASSWORD. A thief can't even reformat and
                          reinstall which is why I say it's cheaper to replace the locked disk
                          than read it. The links I posted give more details.

                          You mention being defrauded after losing a thinkpad - out of interest,
                          why did you feel the need to store information that could let you be
                          defrauded in the first place? If you knew you had lost such
                          information surely you'd have to do the same things you'd do for a
                          lost wallet (cancel cards etc.)?

                          /PY
                        • herman@aeronetworks.ca
                          Message 12 of 12 , Jan 2, 2006
                            parenthetically_yours wrote ..
                            > prevents the disk from being used outside the machine. IT WON'T WORK
                            > IN A DESKTOP WITHOUT THE PASSWORD.
                            OK, wasn't aware that Dell now use those kind of disks. However, all you need to do to recover the data, is replace the controller card. If a perp has hardware access to the disk drive, then only encryption can keep the data safe.

                            Only the paranoid will survive... :-)

                            > why did you feel the need to store information that could let you be
                            > defrauded in the first place?
                            I run Quickbooks on my notebook, since I work all over the place, this is handy. Older versions of Quickbooks work on CxOffice.

                            However, I think what the perp accessed was a scan of a credit card statement, which was still on the desktop. Fortunately, the damage to me was only $50, thanks to state law.