Inspiron 6000 advice please

  • John Logsdon
    Message 1 of 15 , Dec 29, 2005
      Can anyone recommend a RedHat based installation for an Inspiron 6000?

      I currently have Kubuntu on it but this annoys me no end - for example why
      does it assume ssh1 rather than 2 so I have to remember ssh -2 -X
      everytime I hook up to something; rolling my own kernel does not install
      itself with the usual (ie built into the vanilla tree) make;make
      install;make modules_install for some reason to do with the grub
      installation (I want to try suspend2 and it patches 2.6.14.4 OK but
      doesn't install without hand editing the menu.lst); if I su - into root, I
      can't use X to display for some reason ...

      There are many other things that I know are trivial and no doubt
      Debian-lovers will ask what's the problem but I really haven't got the
      time to delve into the depths - I know RH-derivatives reasonably well.

      The only advantage Kubuntu seems to have is that it handles the wireless
      card OK but this is more a function I think of the version of KDE that is
      installed. I have CentOS 4.1 on an old Tosh laptop but that doesn't
      handle WEP128 (yes - hold your sides giggling at security!) as it seems
      that version of KDE forgot it (3.3.1).

      So has anyone tried (eg) FC4 with any success? I saw on linux-laptops.net
      that this was for some reason very slow. Or any other distro? That works
      with wireless channel 13 under WEP128, uses the full res of the screen and
      will play DVDs properly?

      TIA

      John

      John Logsdon "Try to make things as simple
      Quantex Research Ltd, Manchester UK as possible but not simpler"
      j.logsdon@... a.einstein@...
      +44(0)161 445 4951/G:+44(0)7717758675 www.quantex-research.com
    • Herman
      Message 2 of 15 , Dec 29, 2005
        I recently installed Fedora 4 on a machine and it felt like I discovered
        the secret of time travel and was back in the year 2000. FC deserves
        first prize as the the clunkiest Linux distro.

        If you like the RedHat way, but want to have a modern system, then you
        should look at Mandriva. Version 2006 runs perfectly on my notebook.
        Suspend to disk and the WiFi adaptor (using ndiswrapper) worked out of
        the box.

        The only 'fix' required after install, is to uninstall the catalogue
        program 'kat' which has a bad performance bug.

        Here is a guide: http://www.aerospacesoftware.com/notebook-howto.html

        Cheers,

        H.

        John Logsdon wrote:

        >Can anyone recommend a RedHat based installation for an Inspiron 6000?
        >
        >I currently have Kubuntu on it but this annoys me no end - for example why
        >does it assume ssh1 rather than 2 so I have to remember ssh -2 -X
        >everytime I hook up to something; rolling my own kernel does not install
        >itself with the usual (ie built into the vanilla tree) make;make
        >install;make modules_install for some reason to do with the grub
        >installation (I want to try suspend2 and it patches 2.6.14.4 OK but
        >doesn't install without hand editing the menu.lst); if I su - into root, I
        >can't use X to display for some reason ...
        >
        >There are many other things that I know are trivial and no doubt
        >Debian-lovers will ask what's the problem but I really haven't got the
        >time to delve into the depths - I know RH-derivatives reasonably well.
        >
        >The only advantage Kubuntu seems to have is that it handles the wireless
        >card OK but this is more a function I think of the version of KDE that is
        >installed. I have CentOS 4.1 on an old Tosh laptop but that doesn't
        >handle WEP128 (yes - hold your sides giggling at security!) as it seems
        >that version of KDE forgot it (3.3.1).
        >
        >So has anyone tried (eg) FC4 with any success? I saw on linux-laptops.net
        >that this was for some reason very slow. Or any other distro? That works
        >with wireless channel 13 under WEP128, uses the full res of the screen and
        >will play DVDs properly?
        >
        >TIA
        >
        >John
        >
        >John Logsdon "Try to make things as simple
        >Quantex Research Ltd, Manchester UK as possible but not simpler"
        >j.logsdon@... a.einstein@...
        >+44(0)161 445 4951/G:+44(0)7717758675 www.quantex-research.com

      • E.M.Gardner
        Message 3 of 15 , Dec 29, 2005
          John Logsdon wrote:
          > Can anyone recommend a RedHat based installation for an Inspiron 6000?
          >
          > I currently have Kubuntu on it but this annoys me no end - for example why
          > does it assume ssh1 rather than 2 so I have to remember ssh -2 -X
          > everytime I hook up to something; rolling my own kernel does not install
          > itself with the usual (ie built into the vanilla tree) make;make
          > install;make modules_install for some reason to do with the grub
          > installation (I want to try suspend2 and it patches 2.6.14.4 OK but
          > doesn't install without hand editing the menu.lst); if I su - into root, I
          > can't use X to display for some reason ...
          >
          > There are many other things that I know are trivial and no doubt
          > Debian-lovers will ask what's the problem but I really haven't got the
          > time to delve into the depths - I know RH-derivatives reasonably well.
          >
          > The only advantage Kubuntu seems to have is that it handles the wireless
          > card OK but this is more a function I think of the version of KDE that is
          > installed. I have CentOS 4.1 on an old Tosh laptop but that doesn't
          > handle WEP128 (yes - hold your sides giggling at security!) as it seems
          > that version of KDE forgot it (3.3.1).
          >
          > So has anyone tried (eg) FC4 with any success? I saw on linux-laptops.net
          > that this was for some reason very slow. Or any other distro? That works
          > with wireless channel 13 under WEP128, uses the full res of the screen and
          > will play DVDs properly?
          >
          > TIA
          >
          > John
          >
          > John Logsdon "Try to make things as simple
          > Quantex Research Ltd, Manchester UK as possible but not simpler"
          > j.logsdon@... a.einstein@...
          > +44(0)161 445 4951/G:+44(0)7717758675 www.quantex-research.com

          I have an i8600 and I'm running suse 10.0 with no problems .... its an
          rpm based distro and once you get the hang of yast its a breeze or it
          also supports apt-get if you prefer that as your package manager ...

          --

          In a world without walls or fences ... who needs Windows or Gates ??

          --unknown--

          Registered Linux User #403007
        • John Logsdon
          Message 4 of 15 , Dec 30, 2005
            Folks

            Mandriva looks interesting but I have some questions:

            I wonder why it needs ndiswrapper with which I have had problems on an old
            machine? [K]ubuntu uses Kwifimanager from KDE 3.4.3 which works fine.

            Does suspend to disk also work automatically after some time of non-use or
            by closing the lid or do you have to Fn-ESC to get it to close down?

            Does the i6000 under Mandriva play videos? I tried installing Kaffeine
            under Kubuntu and there is still a codecs problem.

            Are there yum repositories available? I use yum with CentOS and it has a
            lot of benefits but of course CentOS as an enterprise level distro does
            not have the latest stuff in it...

            Does Mandriva follow RedHat slavishly and include SELinux by default?

            Without downloading the DVD, I can't see a list of the Free Mandriva 2006
            contents on the web site.

            Best wishes

            On Thu, 29 Dec 2005, Herman wrote:

            > I recently installed Fedora 4 on a machine and it felt like I discovered
            > the secret of time travel and was back in the year 2000. FC deserves
            > first prize as the the clunkiest Linux distro.
            >
            > If you like the RedHat way, but want to have a modern system, then you
            > should look at Mandriva. Version 2006 runs perfectly on my notebook.
            > Suspend to disk and the WiFi adaptor (using ndiswrapper) worked out of
            > the box.
            >
            > The only 'fix' required after install, is to uninstall the catalogue
            > program 'kat' which has a bad performance bug.
            >
            > Here is a guide: http://www.aerospacesoftware.com/notebook-howto.html
            >
            > Cheers,
            >
            > H.
            >
            > John Logsdon wrote:
            >
            > >Can anyone recommend a RedHat based installation for an Inspiron 6000?
            > >
            > >I currently have Kubuntu on it but this annoys me no end - for example why
            > >does it assume ssh1 rather than 2 so I have to remember ssh -2 -X
            > >everytime I hook up to something; rolling my own kernel does not install
            > >itself with the usual (ie built into the vanilla tree) make;make
            > >install;make modules_install for some reason to do with the grub
            > >installation (I want to try suspend2 and it patches 2.6.14.4 OK but
            > >doesn't install without hand editing the menu.lst); if I su - into root, I
            > >can't use X to display for some reason ...
            > >
            > >There are many other things that I know are trivial and no doubt
            > >Debian-lovers will ask what's the problem but I really haven't got the
            > >time to delve into the depths - I know RH-derivatives reasonably well.
            > >
            > >The only advantage Kubuntu seems to have is that it handles the wireless
            > >card OK but this is more a function I think of the version of KDE that is
            > >installed. I have CentOS 4.1 on an old Tosh laptop but that doesn't
            > >handle WEP128 (yes - hold your sides giggling at security!) as it seems
            > >that version of KDE forgot it (3.3.1).
            > >
            > >So has anyone tried (eg) FC4 with any success? I saw on linux-laptops.net
            > >that this was for some reason very slow. Or any other distro? That works
            > >with wireless channel 13 under WEP128, uses the full res of the screen and
            > >will play DVDs properly?
            > >
            > >TIA
            > >
            > >John
            > >
            > >John Logsdon "Try to make things as simple
            > >Quantex Research Ltd, Manchester UK as possible but not simpler"
            > >j.logsdon@... a.einstein@...
            > >+44(0)161 445 4951/G:+44(0)7717758675 www.quantex-research.com

          • ken
            Message 5 of 15 , Dec 30, 2005
              On Fri, 30 Dec 2005 09:05:50 +0000 (GMT) John Logsdon
              <j.logsdon@...> wrote:

              > Folks
              >
              > Mandriva looks interesting but I have some questions:
              >
              > I wonder why it needs ndiswrapper with which I have had problems on an
              > old machine? [K]ubuntu uses Kwifimanager from KDE 3.4.3 which works
              > fine.

              You don't have to use ndiswrapper. I've been using the Intel/OSS
              firmware for months and with 802.11g w/encryption, as well as 802.11b
              (which is pretty much standard at cybercafes), and my wifi works fine.
              So if your (onboard) wifi card is:

              Model: "Intel PRO/Wireless 2200BG"
              Vendor: pci 0x8086 "Intel Corporation"
              Device: pci 0x4220 "PRO/Wireless 2200BG"

              you can use the ipw2200 driver. It comes with the Suse boxset and you
              can also get it from sourceforge (last time I checked).

              I have to admit that the wireless install and config isn't that great on
              Suse 9.3 though. I had to do a lot of the setup by hand because Yast
              couldn't do it. I've traced part of the problem back to the ifup and
              ifup-routes routines. I'm guessing these weren't tested sufficiently
              with static routing. They work better if you use DHCP... e.g.,
              connecting at cybercafes is easier for me than establishing a connection
              at home! But this is Suse 9.3... maybe 10.0 has fixes.

              The Suse 9.3 install routine also couldn't correctly figure out my ATI
              video card, incorrectly identifies it as a an RV250 Lf, an inferior
              video card. Consequently, the installed video resolution sucks. But I
              fixed this after the install by hand-editing /etc/Xorg.conf. I'm
              thinking that this problem isn't specific to Suse, as the routine for
              determining the hardware is probably the same in other distros. Or it
              could have been fixed already in a later version. It's broke in hwinfo
              v.10.16-3 though.

              > Does suspend to disk also work automatically after some time of
              > non-use or by closing the lid or do you have to Fn-ESC to get it to
              > close down?

              In Suse 9.3 this is easily configurable, at least if you're using gnome.

              hth,
              ken

              --
              "It is not knowable how long that conflict would last, it could last,
              you know, six days, six weeks. I doubt six months."
              Message 6 of 15 , Dec 30, 2005

                John Logsdon wrote:
                Folks

                Mandriva looks interesting but I have some questions:

                I wonder why it needs ndiswrapper with which I have had problems on an old
                machine?  [K]ubuntu uses Kwifimanager from KDE 3.4.3 which works fine.

                Depends on the WiFi device. I don't know what is in there.  If it is Intel, then use the Intel driver.  If it is Broadcom, then use ndiswrapper.

                Does suspend to disk also work automatically after some time of non-use or
                by closing the lid or do you have to Fn-ESC to get it to close down?

                It should be configurable somewhere, but I haven't bothered to look into it.

                Does the i6000 under Mandriva play videos? I tried installing Kaffeine
                under Kubuntu and there is still a codecs problem.

                Yes, video playing works out of the box.

                Are there yum repositories available?  I use yum with CentOS and it has a
                lot of benefits but of course CentOS as an enterprise level distro does
                not have the latest stuff in it...

                Yes/No - Mandriva uses a process called urpmi that does the same thing.  Actually, Mandriva was first - Redhat copied the idea.

                Does Mandriva follow RedHat slavishly and include SELinux by default?

                Mandriva split off RedHat 5.0 which is a long time ago.  I'm not sure about SELinux availability.  Mandriva has their own security system called msec which seems to do the same thing.

                Without downloading the DVD, I can't see a list of the Free Mandriva 2006
                contents on the web site.

                You can install off a free mirror:
                ftp.uninett.no/pub/linux/Mandrakelinux/official/2006.0

                More stuff are available from the Penguin Liberation Front at http://www.zarb.org

                Cheers,

                Herman

                John Logsdon wrote:

[...]

                http://us.click.yahoo.com/KIlPFB/vlQLAA/TtwFAA/s5T0lB/TM

                    http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                Herman Oosthuysen, B.Eng(E), MIEEE
                Aerospace Software Ltd.
                255 Edenwold Drive NW
                Calgary, AB, T3A 4A4, Canada
                Phone: 1.403.852-5545
                http://www.AerospaceSoftware.com

              • davidrandallmiller
                Message 7 of 15 , Dec 30, 2005
                  --- In linux-dell-laptops@yahoogroups.com, John Logsdon
                  <j.logsdon@q...> wrote:

                  > Can anyone recommend a RedHat based installation for an Inspiron 6000?
                  >

                  > So has anyone tried (eg) FC4 with any success? I saw on
                  linux-laptops.net
                  > that this was for some reason very slow. Or any other distro? That
                  works
                  > with wireless channel 13 under WEP128, uses the full res of the
                  screen and
                  > will play DVDs properly?

                  I've recently installed FC4 on an Inspiron 6000. What works so far:

                  1920x1200 WUXGA screen
                  ATI fglrx 3D acceleration
                  2200BG wireless
                  10/100 ethernet
                  xmms mp3 player
                  mplayer and xine plays DVDs and most common video formats
                  NTFS filesystem support (read-only, useful in dual-boot)
                  avidemux video editing, eclipse environment, ssh, nfs, samba,
                  vnc, text-to-voice, et al.

                  Remaining challenges:

                  suspend to RAM and to disk

                  Wireless required a firmware file to be deposited to a directory.
                  Xmms, mplayer, xine, and mp3 support were found on the livna & extras
                  group of repositories. Video codecs are available as noted in another
                  thread. ATI 3D is a kernel module from ATI. Ntfs works as a module,
                  but is easily compiled into the 2.6.14 kernel. ACPI suspend to
                  RAM/disk is something I've tried to compile into the kernel, but I
                  don't have all the magic incantations right yet.

                  Kernel recompiles are smooth if you start with Fedora source and
                  config files. The "make install" step automatically sets up initrd
                  and the grub configuration.

                  Yes, there's a clunkiness factor about some of this, but I expected
                  more problems. Enough things work to make this a useable dual-boot
                  development machine.
                • parenthetically_yours
                  Message 8 of 15 , Dec 31, 2005
                    davidrandallmiller wrote:

                    > Remaining challenges:
                    >
                    > suspend to RAM and to disk

                    If you want suspend to RAM it's certainly possible in FC4 with a
                    simple kernel patch that adds suspend support to the SCSI / SATA disk
                    drivers. See an earlier post for more info:

                    STR is so good that I haven't bothered with STD. I have honed the ACPI
                    scripts to suspend from the lid action and it's just what you'd expect.

                    > Yes, there's a clunkiness factor about some of this, but I expected
                    > more problems. Enough things work to make this a useable dual-boot
                    > development machine.

                    I don't see the clunkiness but then again I'm not a great fan of
                    watching DVDs on a notebook. I still have a WinXP partition but I
                    expect it will soon be wiped and recycled.

                    /PY
                  • John Logsdon
                    Message 9 of 15 , Jan 1, 2006
                      Happy New Year!

                      Well at long last I managed to download Madriva 2006 Free from the .no
                      site Herman suggested. It needed an ftp anonymous login and I couldn't
                      find it from the web page. All that kept doing was directing me to the
                      Mandriva club and supposed mirrors that didn't seem to have the right DVD
                      iso on them. Since I don't know whether I am going to use Mandriva, I
                      don't want to do shell out for things that I won't use in the end.

                      So I dropped a DVD iso onto a Mac mini I have and burnt a disk (eventually
                      - I have also taken a dislike to the way Apple has implemented Unix but
                      that's another story...)

                      It wouldn't boot. So I copied it over to the i6000 under Windows and
                      burnt another disk. Still wouldn't boot. Then I copied over to the
                      Kubuntu partition and wrote yet another disk (this time, DVD+RW! using
                      K3d). And it booted and installed quite cleanly. So much for Macs and
                      Windows.

                      But it doesn't include the ipw2200-firmware modules - you have to join the
                      Mandriva club to get those. I tried downloading the firmware from
                      sourceforge as suggested. I installed the *.fw version 2.3 files in
                      /lib/hotplug/firmware/ and restarted the network but couldn't get it to
                      work at all.

                      When Kubuntu can bundle kwifimanager and everything so it works out of the
                      box, why does Mandriva try to make things difficult? I am only testing it
                      and it fell at the first fence I am afraid. If it had worked, I may well
                      have joined the famous club. But it didn't so I wont.

                      I expect the DVD player would work except it needs libcss whatever and of
                      course I have no net connection... Same problem with Kubuntu. It plays
                      DVDs from my Sony camcorder OK.

                      Other irritations - grub does not seem to have a grub.conf or menu.lst
                      that I can edit to add the Kubuntu distro that is still on the machine on
                      separate partitions - the default is for an old kernel so God knows where
                      it gets it's information from. Xterm is not available - rather like a
                      Mac. But at least you can login to root and it doesn't vomit when using a
                      graphic program.

                      I will probably give up and run Windows on the laptop and wait for
                      something that works with this fairly new hardware and doesn't annoy me.
                      Or try to open up Kubuntu myself - at least it worked cleanly and is not
                      quite as annoying as OSX!

                      Message 10 of 15 , Jan 1, 2006

                        John Logsdon wrote:

[...]

                        Dowload the suse 10 dvd ... after you get up and running join the IRC channel on freenode and you'll be rockin within mintues ...

                        --

                        In a world without walls or fences ... who needs Windows or Gates ??

                        --unknown--

                        Registered Linux User #403007

                      • Calen Martin D. Legaspi, SCEA
                        Message 11 of 15 , Jan 1, 2006
                          I'm also on the Inspiron 6000 and have tried several distros (Kubuntu, Ubuntu, FC4) before finally settling on CentOS.  I'm quite happy with CentOS.  Here are some helpful CentOS post-installation notes: http://www.a.phys.nagoya-u.ac.jp/~taka/linux/co4note-eng.html

                          Calen

                          On 12/30/05, John Logsdon <j.logsdon@...> wrote:
[...]

                          Dell laptop battery Notebook computers Dell laptop repair
                          Dell laptop Dell laptop part Laptop notebook computer

                          YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

                          --
                          Calen Martin D. Legaspi
                          Sun Certified Enterprise Architect
                          Message 12 of 15 , Jan 1, 2006
                            Here is a Mandriva 2006 Howto - hot off the press:
                            http://www.aerospacesoftware.com/howto-2006.html

                            John Logsdon wrote:

                            >It wouldn't boot. So I copied it over to the i6000 under Windows and
                            >burnt another disk. Still wouldn't boot. Then I copied over to the
                            >Kubuntu partition and wrote yet another disk (this time, DVD+RW! using
                            >K3d). And it booted and installed quite cleanly. So much for Macs and
                            >Windows.

                            I guess you burned the file as a regular data CD, instead of burning it
                            as an ISO image.

                            >But it doesn't include the ipw2200-firmware modules - you have to join the
                            >Mandriva club to get those. I tried downloading the firmware from
                            >sourceforge as suggested. I installed the *.fw version 2.3 files in
                            >/lib/hotplug/firmware/ and restarted the network but couldn't get it to
                            >work at all.

                            All you need to know is on the Intel web site:
                            http://ipw2200.sourceforge.net/

                            >Other irritations - grub does not seem to have a grub.conf or menu.lst
                            >that I can edit to add the Kubuntu distro that is still on the machine on
                            >separate partitions - the default is for an old kernel so God knows where
                            >it gets it's information from. Xterm is not available - rather like a
                            >Mac. But at least you can login to root and it doesn't vomit when using a
                            >graphic program.

                            /boot/grub/

                            Anyhoo, the boot schtuff is managed by the Mandriva MCC wizard drakconf.

                            Installing on a notebook is not easy, but I'm typing away on mine right
                            now and everything works, even the winmodem and suspend to disk.

                            Cheers,

                            H.
                          • hamed
                            Message 13 of 15 , Jan 1, 2006
                              hi
                              i am new user linux 10 ,after install it i see that need login and
                              pasword and so i ask for this login and password
                            • John Logsdon
                              Message 14 of 15 , Jan 2, 2006
                                I presume that the DVD wasn't bootable. There was no bootable flag to set
                                on iDVD on the Mac but I did 'click' on the Windoze bootable flag.
                                Anyway that problem is sorted now thanks to K3d.

                                I probably need to compile the ipw2200 drivers against the MDK headers to
                                get it to work.

                                It seems that menu.lst is created only *after* drakconf is run so now I
                                can include the two distros and Windows on the same machine.

                                I am waiting to see whether CentOS4.2 will handle 128WEP wifi because I
                                know that distro well and, despite RH's fascination with SELinux, it would
                                be my distro of choice.

                                On Sun, 1 Jan 2006, Herman wrote:

                                > Here is a Mandriva 2006 Howto - hot off the press:
                                > http://www.aerospacesoftware.com/howto-2006.html
                                >
                                > John Logsdon wrote:
                                >
                                > >It wouldn't boot. So I copied it over to the i6000 under Windows and
                                > >burnt another disk. Still wouldn't boot. Then I copied over to the
                                > >Kubuntu partition and wrote yet another disk (this time, DVD+RW! using
                                > >K3d). And it booted and installed quite cleanly. So much for Macs and
                                > >Windows.
                                > >

                                > I guess you burned the file as a regular data CD, instead of burning it
                                > as an ISO image.
                                >
                                > >But it doesn't include the ipw2200-firmware modules - you have to join the
                                > >Mandriva club to get those. I tried downloading the firmware from
                                > >sourceforge as suggested. I installed the *.fw version 2.3 files in
                                > >/lib/hotplug/firmware/ and restarted the network but couldn't get it to
                                > >work at all.
                                > >

                                > All you need to know is on the Intel web site:
                                > http://ipw2200.sourceforge.net/
                                >
                                > >Other irritations - grub does not seem to have a grub.conf or menu.lst
                                > >that I can edit to add the Kubuntu distro that is still on the machine on
                                > >separate partitions - the default is for an old kernel so God knows where
                                > >it gets it's information from. Xterm is not available - rather like a
                                > >Mac. But at least you can login to root and it doesn't vomit when using a
                                > >graphic program.
                                > >

                                > /boot/grub/
                                >
                                > Anyhoo, the boot schtuff is managed by the Mandriva MCC wizard drakconf.
                                >
                                > Installing on a notebook is not easy, but I'm typing away on mine right
                                > now and everything works, even the winmodem and suspend to disk.
                                >
                                > Cheers,
                                >
                                > H.

                              • Haedn Thorn
                                Message 15 of 15 , Jan 2, 2006
                                  --- hamed <hmdrf@...> wrote:

                                  > hi
                                  > i am new user linux 10 ,after install it i see that need login and
                                  > pasword and so i ask for this login and password

                                  You should be able to create a password during install. If you were not
                                  prompted for any usernames during the installation, the only default user is
                                  "root". If you weren't prompted for a password, then the default would be no
                                  password (just hit <enter>)