Re: [linux-dell-laptops] Re: Inspiron 600m onboard wireless

  • ken
    Message 1 of 15 , Dec 26, 2005
      On Tue, 20 Dec 2005 10:33:09 -0500 Jessica Perry Hekman
      <jphekman@...> wrote:

      > On Tue, Dec 20, 2005 at 10:03:07AM -0500, ken wrote:
      >
      > > Forget about using Yast for installing and configuring. Use rpm to
      > > install what you need (tho everything, save firmware, should come
      > > with the standard distribution). Hand edit the relevant ifcfg-*
      > > files in /etc/sysconfig/network/ to configure the card.
      >
      > I presume this means I should uninstall the modules that I built using
      > "make" and just use what's already available?

      The RPMs are what worked for me. (I'm using v.9.3.) The modules were
      contained in the default kernel. The firmware too. Did you happen to
      see if these came in your kernel rpm?

      > Thanks for all the pieces of advice -- it's starting to sound not
      > worth it since I do HAVE wireless running (with a PCMCIA card) and
      > maybe I should just stick with that!

      That's a personal choice, so I couldn't comment on it very much. I
      guess it depends upon how much you want the onboard wireless and what
      kind of time you have. Some stuff in Linux takes time and patience.
      Sometimes you have to enjoy cussing. If you like kicking your laptop
      around the livingroom, then maybe going with the PC card would be the
      better solution for now. Otherwise, why not dig the struggle?

      Merry Everything,
      ken

      > Jessica

      > --------------------~--> AIDS in India: A "lurking bomb." Click and
      > help stop AIDS now.
      > http://us.click.yahoo.com/VpTY2A/lzNLAA/yQLSAA/s5T0lB/TM

      "It is not knowable how long that conflict would last, it could last,
      you know, six days, six weeks. I doubt six months."
      --Secretary of Defense Donald Rumsfeld, 2/7/03