Dell Inspiron B120, Mandriva 2006: good combination

  • aphilipoff
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 21, 2005
      I just took delivery of a Dell Inspiron B120, one of those $369
      specials that were being advertised on Thanksgiving weekend. It's a
      fairly good system for the price: 1.4Ghz Celeron M, 512MB RAM, 40GB
      hard drive, CD-RW/DVD-ROM, 14.1" LCD. First thing I did was to re-
      partition the hard drive, 30GB for XP and the balance for linux. After
      re-installing Windows XP, I installed Mandriva 2006 and I came away
      very impressed.

      I've used Red Hat for quite some time at work for web servers but
      never could get it to run well on a laptop. In the past I tried Red
      Hat Enterprise Linux 2-4 and Fedora Core 1-4 on laptops with mixed
      results. Either the sound card wouldn't work, video was goofy or the
      NIC would act up. I decided to try another distro and after doing some
      research I decided on Mandriva 2006. The install was really easy, so
      was the post-install config. What really surprised me was that the
      sound card and video worked right out of the box. Of course the
      wireless card and the winmodem don't work but probably I can get them
      to work if really wanted to.