Ubuntu 5.10 Breezy on C600 frame buffer and resolution change issues

  • camelreef
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 20, 2005

      I have a Dell Lattitude C600 that os acting up since I installed
      Ubuntu 5.10 Breezy on it.

      It is a 1GHz P3, 384 MB RAM, 40 GB disk, latest BIOS revision, no
      docking station, 1400x1050 LCS, ATI Mobility M(3, I think) video.

      Plain Ubuntu install, ubuntu 686 kernel, no patching of any kind.

      I have 2 issues with it, both related to video.

      1. I I setup a framebuffer console (vga parameter for kernel in the
      GRUB conf), I get a screen that is completely messed-up and doesn;t
      spread on the whole LCD surface.

      2. If I change resolution in X, below 1280x1024, I get a messed-up
      screen, as if there was a bad signal sync, the normal right 2/3 of the
      screen on the left, the remaining normal left 1/3 to the right, and a
      weird separation.

      This is weird, I didn't have any issue like that when it had Debian
      with a home made kernel (kernel.org and a few patches).

      Nico