Re: [linux-dell-laptops] 600m fan not being started

  • Jessica Perry Hekman
    Message 1 of 9 , Dec 12, 2005
      Okay, this is my conclusion:

      I messed things up by screwing with cpuspeed.conf.

      The fact that the CPU seems to me to run slow isn't a problem -- given
      that you say this is normal under low loads. (The machine does FEEL much
      much faster than the 700mHz machine I was using before.) I am downloading
      the kernel now and will try to get the load higher while compiling it; if
      I really can't manage it I may post again.

      Now that I have reset cpuspeed.conf to a lower temp, I believe it should
      not hurt my hands -- and if I'm wrong I can try setting it even lower
      during bio lectures -- and if THAT still doesn't work I will post again.

      Thank you for reassuring me that the CPU behavior is normal, so that I can
      stop breaking things in an attempt to get more speed; and thank you for
      letting me know what normal temperatures are, so I can stop waking up at 3
      am thinking "I am going to break that laptop only a month after I got it
      and it cost SO MUCH MONEY." (Actually it cost very little compared to what
      I feel like laptops ought to cost but it would be an awful lot to have to
      spend again two months later :)

      Jessica