Trying out 2.6.13 kernel

  • Douglas S. Oliver
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 9, 2005
      Hi all,

      Yesterday I compiled the 2.6.13 kernel for my i6800 running RH9. It's seems nice so far, seems to suspend to ram when I leave it unattended for a while, actually turns off my computer when I tell it to, and maybe some other surprises. Now I'm back to the old wireless problem. I've been using Linuxant, which is nice; however, with the new kernel, it doesn't work right now. Before I reload it, I was thinking of trying out the wireless capabilities of the new kernel. I think I read that it can now handle the Dell wireless card. Which program was it again to use? Was it the Atmel one? Also, I was using the nVidia driver program, which now also doesn't work yet. Does the new kernel finally have a good driver for the Gforce 4? The last question: should I be using the Xorg program for X or can I use my old XFree86 program? I've currently set up with that, but things aren't quite right without nvidia and perhaps Xorg. Any suggestions or help to offer? Thanks -- Douglas
    • Douglas S. Oliver
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 9, 2005
        Sorry, that's an i8600 not an i6800.

        Message 3 of 3 , Dec 10, 2005
          >From: "Douglas S. Oliver" <dsoliver@...>
          >Date: Fri Dec 09 20:28:55 CST 2005
          >To: linux-dell-laptops@yahoogroups.com
          >Subject: Re: [linux-dell-laptops] Trying out 2.6.13 kernel

          >Sorry, that's an i8600 not an i6800.

          Hey Douglas,

          I have an i8600 running suse10 and the 2.6.13 kernel. I use ndiswrapper for the wireless card which works great, I also have the gforce 4 video card and I'm using the newest nvidia driver 8174 iirc and xorg.