Re: [linux-dell-laptops] Re: OT: Font sizes in application UIs

  • James Frye
    Message 1 of 11 , Dec 9, 2005
      On Fri, 9 Dec 2005, Alexandre Tessier wrote:

      > Why we use this incomprehensible strange unit for computer screens and
      > printers instead of the international system of units (the metric
      > system)? Maybe so that nobody understands!

      Maybe because those units are what was understood by the people that
      invented the computer display and Xwindows :-)

      What I can't understand is why the physical size of the display should
      matter at all. It seems to create a lot of problems. For instance, I
      have two different-size displays: the standard laptop, and a larger (20
      inch) display that I use at home. I want to see exactly the same image on
      either screen: that is, if I have say a web browser occupying 1/4 of
      display A, I want it to occupy the same 1/4 if I switch to display B.
      Most applications don't seem to do this: they seem to grow or shrink to
      hold the physical size of the characters constant.
    • Wen ke Li
      Message 2 of 11 , Dec 9, 2005
        Glad it worked out :) If you have any problems with gentoo, I'm more than willing to help. I personally like it a lot, but it certainly takes some work to get exactly what you want.
        I do wonder if the rest of the world uses the DPI also, or maybe DPcm or something similar? Metric system is so much easier to work with....

        Christoph Eckert <ce@...> wrote:
        Hi,

        > Why we use this incomprehensible strange unit for computer screens
        > and printers instead of the international system of units (the metric
        > system)? Maybe so that nobody understands!

        Maybe metrics are international, but the US aren't known to care about
        the rest of the world ;-) . In the US, feet and inches are widely used
        and this will not change too soon. And because most desktop operating
        systems have been developed in the US...

        > Did you fix the problem with the dpi switch of xorg or the
        > DisplaySize entry of xorg.conf?

        I added DisplaySize to xorg.conf and it worked very well.

        > If you still have problems, you may also try to edit
        > /etc/fonts/local.conf as explained for example here:
        > http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/XOrg_Font_Configuration
        >
        > Finally, I'm a Mandriva user, but there is a lot of gentoo users on
        > this list. Maybe, the members of the list should add (or update) a
        > record in the DellLaptopsUsers database:
        >rtRows&tbl=1

        Well, Gentoo is the distro which survived longer than any other on my
        machine, but right at the moment I try to update many packages, and
        Gentoo did mess up my system a lot. That's partly my ignorance about
        the portage system, but anyway, if I don't get it fixed I'll install
        another one and try it out. Such a database gets out of sync with
        reality real fast ;-) .

        Best regards

            ce

        Yahoo! Shopping
      • Christoph Eckert
        Message 3 of 11 , Dec 11, 2005
          Hi,

          > Glad it worked out :) If you have any problems with gentoo, I'm more
          > than willing to help.

          thanks a lot for the offer.

          Well, accidentally I have some troubles world-updating my machine right
          at the moment ;-) .

          > I personally like it a lot,

          Me too. It's the first Distro that survived longer than a year on my
          machine - and I'm using Linux since 1998 ;-) .

          > but it certainly takes some work to get exactly what you want.

          Maybe. To be honest, installing Gentoo was the easiest Distro install I
          ever did - just got a *huge* tarball on DVD by a friend, adjusted GRUB,
          XF86Config and pppoe.conf, and I had my system up and running.

          After a year where I only have updated packages I wanted to have in more
          recent version, I'm just trying to do an emerge --update world. I had
          some troubles I could solve, but no I have some further issues. But the
          Gentoo user mailing list is a very friendly and useful place; I hope to
          get the issues solved.

          And all overall: I like it a lot, except for the compile times and the
          issues I had with setting the USE flags right ;-))) .

          > I do wonder if the rest
          > of the world uses the DPI also, or maybe DPcm or something similar?

          I wonder if properly set screen size should be part of any xorg.conf
          created or not.

          > Metric system is so much easier to work with....

          Maybe, but I also know that it's very hard if you are used to imperials
          to switch to metrics. I barely can understand imperials for the same
          reason ;-) .

          Thanks & best regards

          ce