Re: [linux-dell-laptops] OT: Font sizes in application UIs

  • Christoph Eckert
    Message 1 of 11 , Dec 9, 2005
      > Just curious, are you a gentoo user? I ask because I am one, and it
      > seems hard to find other gentoo users outside of gentoo forums.

      Yes, I am. And I have even seen Gentoo users in other forums, namely the
      linux audio user forum :) .

      Best regards

      ce
    • Christoph Eckert
      Message 2 of 11 , Dec 9, 2005
        Hi,

        > Since your
        > monitor supports 1400x1050, at 96 pixles per 25.4 mm, your calculated
        > display size in mm would be 370 by 277, +/- 1.

        this helped *a lot*. Thanks for clarifying that I have to recalculate
        the settings to inches instead of using millimeters (in fact I'm a bit
        ashamed that I didn't understand it by myself :-) .

        Best regards

        ce
      • Alexandre Tessier
        Message 3 of 11 , Dec 9, 2005
          Christoph Eckert a écrit :
          > Hi,
          >

          >>Since your
          >>monitor supports 1400x1050, at 96 pixles per 25.4 mm, your calculated
          >>display size in mm would be 370 by 277, +/- 1.
          >

          > this helped *a lot*. Thanks for clarifying that I have to recalculate
          > the settings to inches instead of using millimeters (in fact I'm a bit
          > ashamed that I didn't understand it by myself :-) .

          Why we use this incomprehensible strange unit for computer screens and
          printers instead of the international system of units (the metric
          system)? Maybe so that nobody understands!

          Did you fix the problem with the dpi switch of xorg or the DisplaySize
          entry of xorg.conf?

          If you still have problems, you may also try to edit /etc/fonts/local.conf
          as explained for example here:
          http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/XOrg_Font_Configuration

          Finally, I'm a Mandriva user, but there is a lot of gentoo users on this
          list. Maybe, the members of the list should add (or update) a record in
          the DellLaptopsUsers database:

          Alex.

          > Best regards
          >

          > ce

        • Christoph Eckert
          Message 4 of 11 , Dec 9, 2005
            Hi,

            > Why we use this incomprehensible strange unit for computer screens
            > and printers instead of the international system of units (the metric
            > system)? Maybe so that nobody understands!

            Maybe metrics are international, but the US aren't known to care about
            the rest of the world ;-) . In the US, feet and inches are widely used
            and this will not change too soon. And because most desktop operating
            systems have been developed in the US...

            > Did you fix the problem with the dpi switch of xorg or the
            > DisplaySize entry of xorg.conf?

            I added DisplaySize to xorg.conf and it worked very well.

            > If you still have problems, you may also try to edit
            > /etc/fonts/local.conf as explained for example here:
            > http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/XOrg_Font_Configuration
            >
            > Finally, I'm a Mandriva user, but there is a lot of gentoo users on
            > this list. Maybe, the members of the list should add (or update) a
            > record in the DellLaptopsUsers database:
            >rtRows&tbl=1

            Well, Gentoo is the distro which survived longer than any other on my
            machine, but right at the moment I try to update many packages, and
            Gentoo did mess up my system a lot. That's partly my ignorance about
            the portage system, but anyway, if I don't get it fixed I'll install
            another one and try it out. Such a database gets out of sync with
            reality real fast ;-) .

            Best regards

            ce
          • James Frye
            Message 5 of 11 , Dec 9, 2005
              On Fri, 9 Dec 2005, Alexandre Tessier wrote:

              > Why we use this incomprehensible strange unit for computer screens and
              > printers instead of the international system of units (the metric
              > system)? Maybe so that nobody understands!

              Maybe because those units are what was understood by the people that
              invented the computer display and Xwindows :-)

              What I can't understand is why the physical size of the display should
              matter at all. It seems to create a lot of problems. For instance, I
              have two different-size displays: the standard laptop, and a larger (20
              inch) display that I use at home. I want to see exactly the same image on
              either screen: that is, if I have say a web browser occupying 1/4 of
              display A, I want it to occupy the same 1/4 if I switch to display B.
              Most applications don't seem to do this: they seem to grow or shrink to
              hold the physical size of the characters constant.
            • Wen ke Li
              Message 6 of 11 , Dec 9, 2005
                Glad it worked out :) If you have any problems with gentoo, I'm more than willing to help. I personally like it a lot, but it certainly takes some work to get exactly what you want.
                I do wonder if the rest of the world uses the DPI also, or maybe DPcm or something similar? Metric system is so much easier to work with....

                Christoph Eckert <ce@...> wrote:
                Hi,

                > Why we use this incomprehensible strange unit for computer screens
                > and printers instead of the international system of units (the metric
                > system)? Maybe so that nobody understands!

                Maybe metrics are international, but the US aren't known to care about
                the rest of the world ;-) . In the US, feet and inches are widely used
                and this will not change too soon. And because most desktop operating
                systems have been developed in the US...

                > Did you fix the problem with the dpi switch of xorg or the
                > DisplaySize entry of xorg.conf?

                I added DisplaySize to xorg.conf and it worked very well.

                > If you still have problems, you may also try to edit
                > /etc/fonts/local.conf as explained for example here:
                > http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/XOrg_Font_Configuration
                >
                > Finally, I'm a Mandriva user, but there is a lot of gentoo users on
                > this list. Maybe, the members of the list should add (or update) a
                > record in the DellLaptopsUsers database:
                >rtRows&tbl=1

                Well, Gentoo is the distro which survived longer than any other on my
                machine, but right at the moment I try to update many packages, and
                Gentoo did mess up my system a lot. That's partly my ignorance about
                the portage system, but anyway, if I don't get it fixed I'll install
                another one and try it out. Such a database gets out of sync with
                reality real fast ;-) .

                Best regards

                    ce

                Yahoo! Shopping
              • Christoph Eckert
                Message 7 of 11 , Dec 11, 2005
                  Hi,

                  > Glad it worked out :) If you have any problems with gentoo, I'm more
                  > than willing to help.

                  thanks a lot for the offer.

                  Well, accidentally I have some troubles world-updating my machine right
                  at the moment ;-) .

                  > I personally like it a lot,

                  Me too. It's the first Distro that survived longer than a year on my
                  machine - and I'm using Linux since 1998 ;-) .

                  > but it certainly takes some work to get exactly what you want.

                  Maybe. To be honest, installing Gentoo was the easiest Distro install I
                  ever did - just got a *huge* tarball on DVD by a friend, adjusted GRUB,
                  XF86Config and pppoe.conf, and I had my system up and running.

                  After a year where I only have updated packages I wanted to have in more
                  recent version, I'm just trying to do an emerge --update world. I had
                  some troubles I could solve, but no I have some further issues. But the
                  Gentoo user mailing list is a very friendly and useful place; I hope to
                  get the issues solved.

                  And all overall: I like it a lot, except for the compile times and the
                  issues I had with setting the USE flags right ;-))) .

                  > I do wonder if the rest
                  > of the world uses the DPI also, or maybe DPcm or something similar?

                  I wonder if properly set screen size should be part of any xorg.conf
                  created or not.

                  > Metric system is so much easier to work with....

                  Maybe, but I also know that it's very hard if you are used to imperials
                  to switch to metrics. I barely can understand imperials for the same
                  reason ;-) .

                  Thanks & best regards

                  ce