Re: [linux-dell-laptops] OT: Font sizes in application UIs

  • Paul V. Gratz
    Message 1 of 11 , Dec 8, 2005
      I'm a gentoo user :-).

      BTW I had similar problems (in my case fonts were way too small on my
      1920x1280 screen) and I just measured my monitor and I just put this
      line in my monitor section:

      DisplaySize 330 209

      and everything became consistent and looked fine (except emacs, that
      took a little more work).

      Paul

    • Christoph Eckert
      Message 2 of 11 , Dec 9, 2005
        > Just curious, are you a gentoo user? I ask because I am one, and it
        > seems hard to find other gentoo users outside of gentoo forums.

        Yes, I am. And I have even seen Gentoo users in other forums, namely the
        linux audio user forum :) .

        Best regards

        ce
      • Christoph Eckert
        Message 3 of 11 , Dec 9, 2005

          > Since your
          > monitor supports 1400x1050, at 96 pixles per 25.4 mm, your calculated
          > display size in mm would be 370 by 277, +/- 1.

          this helped *a lot*. Thanks for clarifying that I have to recalculate
          the settings to inches instead of using millimeters (in fact I'm a bit
          ashamed that I didn't understand it by myself :-) .

          Best regards

          ce
        • Alexandre Tessier
          Message 4 of 11 , Dec 9, 2005
            Christoph Eckert a écrit :
            > Hi,
            >

            >>Since your
            >>monitor supports 1400x1050, at 96 pixles per 25.4 mm, your calculated
            >>display size in mm would be 370 by 277, +/- 1.
            >

            > this helped *a lot*. Thanks for clarifying that I have to recalculate
            > the settings to inches instead of using millimeters (in fact I'm a bit
            > ashamed that I didn't understand it by myself :-) .

            Why we use this incomprehensible strange unit for computer screens and
            printers instead of the international system of units (the metric
            system)? Maybe so that nobody understands!

            Did you fix the problem with the dpi switch of xorg or the DisplaySize
            entry of xorg.conf?

            If you still have problems, you may also try to edit /etc/fonts/local.conf
            as explained for example here:
            http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/XOrg_Font_Configuration

            Finally, I'm a Mandriva user, but there is a lot of gentoo users on this
            list. Maybe, the members of the list should add (or update) a record in
            the DellLaptopsUsers database:

            Alex.

            > Best regards
            >

            > ce

          • Christoph Eckert
            Message 5 of 11 , Dec 9, 2005

              > Why we use this incomprehensible strange unit for computer screens
              > and printers instead of the international system of units (the metric
              > system)? Maybe so that nobody understands!

              Maybe metrics are international, but the US aren't known to care about
              the rest of the world ;-) . In the US, feet and inches are widely used
              and this will not change too soon. And because most desktop operating
              systems have been developed in the US...

              > Did you fix the problem with the dpi switch of xorg or the
              > DisplaySize entry of xorg.conf?

              I added DisplaySize to xorg.conf and it worked very well.

              > If you still have problems, you may also try to edit
              > /etc/fonts/local.conf as explained for example here:
              > http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/XOrg_Font_Configuration
              >
              > Finally, I'm a Mandriva user, but there is a lot of gentoo users on
              > this list. Maybe, the members of the list should add (or update) a
              > record in the DellLaptopsUsers database:
              >rtRows&tbl=1

              Well, Gentoo is the distro which survived longer than any other on my
              machine, but right at the moment I try to update many packages, and
              Gentoo did mess up my system a lot. That's partly my ignorance about
              the portage system, but anyway, if I don't get it fixed I'll install
              another one and try it out. Such a database gets out of sync with
              reality real fast ;-) .

              Best regards

              ce
            • James Frye
              Message 6 of 11 , Dec 9, 2005
                On Fri, 9 Dec 2005, Alexandre Tessier wrote:

                > Why we use this incomprehensible strange unit for computer screens and
                > printers instead of the international system of units (the metric
                > system)? Maybe so that nobody understands!

                Maybe because those units are what was understood by the people that
                invented the computer display and Xwindows :-)

                What I can't understand is why the physical size of the display should
                matter at all. It seems to create a lot of problems. For instance, I
                have two different-size displays: the standard laptop, and a larger (20
                inch) display that I use at home. I want to see exactly the same image on
                either screen: that is, if I have say a web browser occupying 1/4 of
                display A, I want it to occupy the same 1/4 if I switch to display B.
                Most applications don't seem to do this: they seem to grow or shrink to
                hold the physical size of the characters constant.
              • Wen ke Li
                Message 7 of 11 , Dec 9, 2005
                  Glad it worked out :) If you have any problems with gentoo, I'm more than willing to help. I personally like it a lot, but it certainly takes some work to get exactly what you want.
                  I do wonder if the rest of the world uses the DPI also, or maybe DPcm or something similar? Metric system is so much easier to work with....

                  Hi,

                  Message 8 of 11 , Dec 11, 2005

                    > Glad it worked out :) If you have any problems with gentoo, I'm more
                    > than willing to help.

                    thanks a lot for the offer.

                    Well, accidentally I have some troubles world-updating my machine right
                    at the moment ;-) .

                    > I personally like it a lot,

                    Me too. It's the first Distro that survived longer than a year on my
                    machine - and I'm using Linux since 1998 ;-) .

                    > but it certainly takes some work to get exactly what you want.

                    Maybe. To be honest, installing Gentoo was the easiest Distro install I
                    ever did - just got a *huge* tarball on DVD by a friend, adjusted GRUB,
                    XF86Config and pppoe.conf, and I had my system up and running.

                    After a year where I only have updated packages I wanted to have in more
                    recent version, I'm just trying to do an emerge --update world. I had
                    some troubles I could solve, but no I have some further issues. But the
                    Gentoo user mailing list is a very friendly and useful place; I hope to
                    get the issues solved.

                    And all overall: I like it a lot, except for the compile times and the
                    issues I had with setting the USE flags right ;-))) .

                    > I do wonder if the rest
                    > of the world uses the DPI also, or maybe DPcm or something similar?

                    I wonder if properly set screen size should be part of any xorg.conf
                    created or not.

                    > Metric system is so much easier to work with....

                    Maybe, but I also know that it's very hard if you are used to imperials
                    to switch to metrics. I barely can understand imperials for the same
                    reason ;-) .

                    Thanks & best regards

                    ce