Re: [linux-dell-laptops] OT: Font sizes in application UIs

  • Wen ke Li
    Message 1 of 11 , Dec 8, 2005
      Just curious, are you a gentoo user? I ask because I am one, and it seems hard to find other gentoo users outside of gentoo forums.

      Christoph Eckert <ce@...> wrote:
      Hi all,

      maybe it's a bit off topic, but because it's related to my notebook
      display, I'd like to ask for help in this list first.

      Since I upgraded to xorg and using the nv driver instead of the nvidia
      binary driver, I see huge and fat fonts on my screen.

      For KDE applications I solved this by setting a 10pt font in the control
      center, but this somehow seems to be a dirty trick. 12pt fonts
      shouldn't look like 13pt bold.

      The situation went worse as I emerged OOo 2. All menus and dialogs used
      huge fonts resp. huge buttons and input fields. I just put an image on
      the homepage:

      http://christeck.de/files/ooofonterror.png

      To resolve it, I tried to follow and understand

      http://www.mozilla.org/unix/dpi.html

      and I set

      DisplaySize 301 232

      to the monitor section of my xorg.conf.

      As this didn't help, i additionally tried to put

      Xft.dpi: 108

      in /etc/X11/Xresources.

      Both didn't help at all.

      Of course I can startx -dpi 100 which does surely help, and I can put
      the -dpi 100 to the config of my display manager, but I'd like to know
      * which dpi is correct to use
      * in which xorg configuration files I can set it directly

      I use a NVidia Geforce 2 Go and a Dell Inspiron 8200 with a resolution
      of 1400 x 1050 on 301 x 232 millimeters.

      Anyone here who can point me to the right direction (even RTFM is much
      appreciated) to get the two settings mentioned above?

      Thanks a lot & best regards

          ce

      Yahoo! Shopping
    • Paul V. Gratz
      Message 2 of 11 , Dec 8, 2005
        I'm a gentoo user :-).

        BTW I had similar problems (in my case fonts were way too small on my
        1920x1280 screen) and I just measured my monitor and I just put this
        line in my monitor section:

        DisplaySize 330 209

        and everything became consistent and looked fine (except emacs, that
        took a little more work).

        Paul

      • Christoph Eckert
        Message 3 of 11 , Dec 9, 2005
          > Just curious, are you a gentoo user? I ask because I am one, and it
          > seems hard to find other gentoo users outside of gentoo forums.

          Yes, I am. And I have even seen Gentoo users in other forums, namely the
          linux audio user forum :) .

          Best regards

          ce
        • Christoph Eckert
          Message 4 of 11 , Dec 9, 2005

            > Since your
            > monitor supports 1400x1050, at 96 pixles per 25.4 mm, your calculated
            > display size in mm would be 370 by 277, +/- 1.

            this helped *a lot*. Thanks for clarifying that I have to recalculate
            the settings to inches instead of using millimeters (in fact I'm a bit
            ashamed that I didn't understand it by myself :-) .

            Best regards

            ce
          • Alexandre Tessier
            Message 5 of 11 , Dec 9, 2005
              Christoph Eckert a écrit :
              > Hi,
              >

              >>Since your
              >>monitor supports 1400x1050, at 96 pixles per 25.4 mm, your calculated
              >>display size in mm would be 370 by 277, +/- 1.
              >

              > this helped *a lot*. Thanks for clarifying that I have to recalculate
              > the settings to inches instead of using millimeters (in fact I'm a bit
              > ashamed that I didn't understand it by myself :-) .

              Why we use this incomprehensible strange unit for computer screens and
              printers instead of the international system of units (the metric
              system)? Maybe so that nobody understands!

              Did you fix the problem with the dpi switch of xorg or the DisplaySize
              entry of xorg.conf?

              If you still have problems, you may also try to edit /etc/fonts/local.conf
              as explained for example here:
              http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/XOrg_Font_Configuration

              Finally, I'm a Mandriva user, but there is a lot of gentoo users on this
              list. Maybe, the members of the list should add (or update) a record in
              the DellLaptopsUsers database:

              Alex.

              > Best regards
              >

              > ce

            • Christoph Eckert
              Message 6 of 11 , Dec 9, 2005

                > Why we use this incomprehensible strange unit for computer screens
                > and printers instead of the international system of units (the metric
                > system)? Maybe so that nobody understands!

                Maybe metrics are international, but the US aren't known to care about
                the rest of the world ;-) . In the US, feet and inches are widely used
                and this will not change too soon. And because most desktop operating
                systems have been developed in the US...

                > Did you fix the problem with the dpi switch of xorg or the
                > DisplaySize entry of xorg.conf?

                I added DisplaySize to xorg.conf and it worked very well.

                > If you still have problems, you may also try to edit
                > /etc/fonts/local.conf as explained for example here:
                > http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/XOrg_Font_Configuration
                >
                > Finally, I'm a Mandriva user, but there is a lot of gentoo users on
                > this list. Maybe, the members of the list should add (or update) a
                > record in the DellLaptopsUsers database:
                >rtRows&tbl=1

                Well, Gentoo is the distro which survived longer than any other on my
                machine, but right at the moment I try to update many packages, and
                Gentoo did mess up my system a lot. That's partly my ignorance about
                the portage system, but anyway, if I don't get it fixed I'll install
                another one and try it out. Such a database gets out of sync with
                reality real fast ;-) .

                Best regards

                ce
              • James Frye
                Message 7 of 11 , Dec 9, 2005
                  On Fri, 9 Dec 2005, Alexandre Tessier wrote:

                  > Why we use this incomprehensible strange unit for computer screens and
                  > printers instead of the international system of units (the metric
                  > system)? Maybe so that nobody understands!

                  Maybe because those units are what was understood by the people that
                  invented the computer display and Xwindows :-)

                  What I can't understand is why the physical size of the display should
                  matter at all. It seems to create a lot of problems. For instance, I
                  have two different-size displays: the standard laptop, and a larger (20
                  inch) display that I use at home. I want to see exactly the same image on
                  either screen: that is, if I have say a web browser occupying 1/4 of
                  display A, I want it to occupy the same 1/4 if I switch to display B.
                  Most applications don't seem to do this: they seem to grow or shrink to
                  hold the physical size of the characters constant.
                • Wen ke Li
                  Message 8 of 11 , Dec 9, 2005
                    Glad it worked out :) If you have any problems with gentoo, I'm more than willing to help. I personally like it a lot, but it certainly takes some work to get exactly what you want.
                    I do wonder if the rest of the world uses the DPI also, or maybe DPcm or something similar? Metric system is so much easier to work with....

                    Hi,

                    Message 9 of 11 , Dec 11, 2005

                      > Glad it worked out :) If you have any problems with gentoo, I'm more
                      > than willing to help.

                      thanks a lot for the offer.

                      Well, accidentally I have some troubles world-updating my machine right
                      at the moment ;-) .

                      > I personally like it a lot,

                      Me too. It's the first Distro that survived longer than a year on my
                      machine - and I'm using Linux since 1998 ;-) .

                      > but it certainly takes some work to get exactly what you want.

                      Maybe. To be honest, installing Gentoo was the easiest Distro install I
                      ever did - just got a *huge* tarball on DVD by a friend, adjusted GRUB,
                      XF86Config and pppoe.conf, and I had my system up and running.

                      After a year where I only have updated packages I wanted to have in more
                      recent version, I'm just trying to do an emerge --update world. I had
                      some troubles I could solve, but no I have some further issues. But the
                      Gentoo user mailing list is a very friendly and useful place; I hope to
                      get the issues solved.

                      And all overall: I like it a lot, except for the compile times and the
                      issues I had with setting the USE flags right ;-))) .

                      > I do wonder if the rest
                      > of the world uses the DPI also, or maybe DPcm or something similar?

                      I wonder if properly set screen size should be part of any xorg.conf
                      created or not.

                      > Metric system is so much easier to work with....

                      Maybe, but I also know that it's very hard if you are used to imperials
                      to switch to metrics. I barely can understand imperials for the same
                      reason ;-) .

                      Thanks & best regards

                      ce