Re: OT: Font sizes in application UIs

  • Wen ke Li
    Message 1 of 11 , Dec 8, 2005
      I've had the same problem when I first started using linux. The
      correct dpi should be 96. In DisplaySize, don't put in the actual
      physical size of your monitor, but instead, the calculated size of
      your monitor in milimeters, assuming 96 pixles per inch. Since your
      monitor supports 1400x1050, at 96 pixles per 25.4 mm, your calculated
      display size in mm would be 370 by 277, +/- 1. You'll have to tweak
      the numbers a little to get 96 dpi, maybe 371 by 278, or 371 by 277,
      or 370 by 278, you can look in the xorg logs to see what the dpi was
      set to.
      Hope this helps.

      --- In linux-dell-laptops@yahoogroups.com, Christoph Eckert <ce@c...>
      wrote:

      > Hi all,
      >

      > maybe it's a bit off topic, but because it's related to my notebook
      > display, I'd like to ask for help in this list first.
      >
      > Since I upgraded to xorg and using the nv driver instead of the nvidia
      > binary driver, I see huge and fat fonts on my screen.
      >
      > For KDE applications I solved this by setting a 10pt font in the
      control
      > center, but this somehow seems to be a dirty trick. 12pt fonts
      > shouldn't look like 13pt bold.
      >
      > The situation went worse as I emerged OOo 2. All menus and dialogs used
      > huge fonts resp. huge buttons and input fields. I just put an image on
      > the homepage:
      >
      > http://christeck.de/files/ooofonterror.png
      >
      > To resolve it, I tried to follow and understand
      >
      > http://www.mozilla.org/unix/dpi.html
      >
      > and I set
      >
      > DisplaySize 301 232
      >
      > to the monitor section of my xorg.conf.
      >
      > As this didn't help, i additionally tried to put
      >
      > Xft.dpi: 108
      >
      > in /etc/X11/Xresources.
      >
      > Both didn't help at all.
      >
      > Of course I can startx -dpi 100 which does surely help, and I can put
      > the -dpi 100 to the config of my display manager, but I'd like to know
      > * which dpi is correct to use
      > * in which xorg configuration files I can set it directly
      >
      > I use a NVidia Geforce 2 Go and a Dell Inspiron 8200 with a resolution
      > of 1400 x 1050 on 301 x 232 millimeters.
      >
      > Anyone here who can point me to the right direction (even RTFM is much
      > appreciated) to get the two settings mentioned above?
      >

      > Thanks a lot & best regards
      >

      > ce

    • Wen ke Li
      Message 2 of 11 , Dec 8, 2005
        Just curious, are you a gentoo user? I ask because I am one, and it seems hard to find other gentoo users outside of gentoo forums.

        Christoph Eckert <ce@...> wrote:
[...]

        Yahoo! Shopping
      • Paul V. Gratz
        Message 3 of 11 , Dec 8, 2005
          I'm a gentoo user :-).

          BTW I had similar problems (in my case fonts were way too small on my
          1920x1280 screen) and I just measured my monitor and I just put this
          line in my monitor section:

          DisplaySize 330 209

          and everything became consistent and looked fine (except emacs, that
          took a little more work).

          Paul

        • Christoph Eckert
          Message 4 of 11 , Dec 9, 2005
            > Just curious, are you a gentoo user? I ask because I am one, and it
            > seems hard to find other gentoo users outside of gentoo forums.

            Yes, I am. And I have even seen Gentoo users in other forums, namely the
            linux audio user forum :) .

            Best regards

            ce
          • Christoph Eckert
            Message 5 of 11 , Dec 9, 2005

              > Since your
              > monitor supports 1400x1050, at 96 pixles per 25.4 mm, your calculated
              > display size in mm would be 370 by 277, +/- 1.

              this helped *a lot*. Thanks for clarifying that I have to recalculate
              the settings to inches instead of using millimeters (in fact I'm a bit
              ashamed that I didn't understand it by myself :-) .

              Best regards

              ce
            • Alexandre Tessier
              Message 6 of 11 , Dec 9, 2005
                Christoph Eckert a écrit :
                > Hi,
                >

                >>Since your
                >>monitor supports 1400x1050, at 96 pixles per 25.4 mm, your calculated
                >>display size in mm would be 370 by 277, +/- 1.
                >

                > this helped *a lot*. Thanks for clarifying that I have to recalculate
                > the settings to inches instead of using millimeters (in fact I'm a bit
                > ashamed that I didn't understand it by myself :-) .

                Why we use this incomprehensible strange unit for computer screens and
                printers instead of the international system of units (the metric
                system)? Maybe so that nobody understands!

                Did you fix the problem with the dpi switch of xorg or the DisplaySize
                entry of xorg.conf?

                If you still have problems, you may also try to edit /etc/fonts/local.conf
                as explained for example here:
                http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/XOrg_Font_Configuration

                Finally, I'm a Mandriva user, but there is a lot of gentoo users on this
                list. Maybe, the members of the list should add (or update) a record in
                the DellLaptopsUsers database:

                Alex.

                > Best regards
                >

                > ce

              • Christoph Eckert
                Message 7 of 11 , Dec 9, 2005

                  > Why we use this incomprehensible strange unit for computer screens
                  > and printers instead of the international system of units (the metric
                  > system)? Maybe so that nobody understands!

                  Maybe metrics are international, but the US aren't known to care about
                  the rest of the world ;-) . In the US, feet and inches are widely used
                  and this will not change too soon. And because most desktop operating
                  systems have been developed in the US...

                  > Did you fix the problem with the dpi switch of xorg or the
                  > DisplaySize entry of xorg.conf?

                  I added DisplaySize to xorg.conf and it worked very well.

                  > If you still have problems, you may also try to edit
                  > /etc/fonts/local.conf as explained for example here:
                  > http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/XOrg_Font_Configuration
                  >
                  > Finally, I'm a Mandriva user, but there is a lot of gentoo users on
                  > this list. Maybe, the members of the list should add (or update) a
                  > record in the DellLaptopsUsers database:
                  >rtRows&tbl=1

                  Well, Gentoo is the distro which survived longer than any other on my
                  machine, but right at the moment I try to update many packages, and
                  Gentoo did mess up my system a lot. That's partly my ignorance about
                  the portage system, but anyway, if I don't get it fixed I'll install
                  another one and try it out. Such a database gets out of sync with
                  reality real fast ;-) .

                  Best regards

                  ce
                • James Frye
                  Message 8 of 11 , Dec 9, 2005
                    On Fri, 9 Dec 2005, Alexandre Tessier wrote:

                    > Why we use this incomprehensible strange unit for computer screens and
                    > printers instead of the international system of units (the metric
                    > system)? Maybe so that nobody understands!

                    Maybe because those units are what was understood by the people that
                    invented the computer display and Xwindows :-)

                    What I can't understand is why the physical size of the display should
                    matter at all. It seems to create a lot of problems. For instance, I
                    have two different-size displays: the standard laptop, and a larger (20
                    inch) display that I use at home. I want to see exactly the same image on
                    either screen: that is, if I have say a web browser occupying 1/4 of
                    display A, I want it to occupy the same 1/4 if I switch to display B.
                    Most applications don't seem to do this: they seem to grow or shrink to
                    hold the physical size of the characters constant.
                  • Wen ke Li
                    Message 9 of 11 , Dec 9, 2005
                      Glad it worked out :) If you have any problems with gentoo, I'm more than willing to help. I personally like it a lot, but it certainly takes some work to get exactly what you want.
                      I do wonder if the rest of the world uses the DPI also, or maybe DPcm or something similar? Metric system is so much easier to work with....

                      Hi,

                      Message 10 of 11 , Dec 11, 2005

                        > Glad it worked out :) If you have any problems with gentoo, I'm more
                        > than willing to help.

                        thanks a lot for the offer.

                        Well, accidentally I have some troubles world-updating my machine right
                        at the moment ;-) .

                        > I personally like it a lot,

                        Me too. It's the first Distro that survived longer than a year on my
                        machine - and I'm using Linux since 1998 ;-) .

                        > but it certainly takes some work to get exactly what you want.

                        Maybe. To be honest, installing Gentoo was the easiest Distro install I
                        ever did - just got a *huge* tarball on DVD by a friend, adjusted GRUB,
                        XF86Config and pppoe.conf, and I had my system up and running.

                        After a year where I only have updated packages I wanted to have in more
                        recent version, I'm just trying to do an emerge --update world. I had
                        some troubles I could solve, but no I have some further issues. But the
                        Gentoo user mailing list is a very friendly and useful place; I hope to
                        get the issues solved.

                        And all overall: I like it a lot, except for the compile times and the
                        issues I had with setting the USE flags right ;-))) .

                        > I do wonder if the rest
                        > of the world uses the DPI also, or maybe DPcm or something similar?

                        I wonder if properly set screen size should be part of any xorg.conf
                        created or not.

                        > Metric system is so much easier to work with....

                        Maybe, but I also know that it's very hard if you are used to imperials
                        to switch to metrics. I barely can understand imperials for the same
                        reason ;-) .

                        Thanks & best regards

                        ce