Re: [linux-dell-laptops] Best distro for Inspiron 4100 and sleep?

  • Peer
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 7, 2005
      Hi,

      as I posted a while ago, I´m running kubuntu breezy on an i4100 (ati
      graphics). Install was really easy, suspend to disc is working fine, suspend
      to ram is working but kills sound output - probably easy to be fixed, but I
      didn´t bother as I use s2d anyway. One minor flaw with s2d: when you unplug
      the power while its suspending, it hangs on resume. Just unplug before you
      suspend and you´ll be fine. All the kernels I´ve head behave pretty simular -
      I didn´t do any real comparing though - currently I´m running the newest
      ubuntu x686 kernel.
      If you need multimedia, get automatix - it will only run on ubuntu, not
      kubuntu, but you can copy and paste the entries to a terminal and get full
      multimedia features (i.e. all the non free stuff) with very little effort.

      Hope that helps,

      Peer
    • Noel Llopis
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 11, 2005
        I went ahead and tried Kubuntu (2.6.10 kernel) and it was better than
        Mandriva. After enabling it, it actually does suspend and restore from
        ram.

        But:
        - If the power cord is plugged in, it will freeze on restore 100% of
        the time (not just if you unplug it while it's suspending)
        - One out of 4-5 times, it will freeze on restore no matter what.

        I running it on an Inspiron 4100 with an Nvidia card.

        Any other distros that people have working on the 4100 out of the box?
        So far I've tried:
        - Mandrake 9.2
        - Mandrake 10.1
        - Mandrake 10.2 (aka 2005LE)
        - Mandriva 2006
        - Debian stable (Sarge)
        - Kubuntu Breezy
        Any others? :-) Are there any laptop-specific distros out there? I'll
        try anything right now.

        Frankly, I'm just about ready to go back to Mandrake 9.2. At least
        things were working perfectly with APM (although it didn't have
        dynamic CPU throttle). I guess I could try Mandrake 10.0 along the
        way. Blah.

        This whole thing sucks. It must be one of the last areas where Linux
        is still lagging way behind.

        --Noel

        --- In linux-dell-laptops@yahoogroups.com, Peer <p-lists@o...> wrote:

        > Hi,
        >
        > as I posted a while ago, I´m running kubuntu breezy on an i4100 (ati
        > graphics). Install was really easy, suspend to disc is working fine,
        suspend
        > to ram is working but kills sound output - probably easy to be
        fixed, but I
        > didn´t bother as I use s2d anyway. One minor flaw with s2d: when you
        unplug
        > the power while its suspending, it hangs on resume. Just unplug
        before you
        > suspend and you´ll be fine. All the kernels I´ve head behave pretty
        simular -
        > I didn´t do any real comparing though - currently I´m running the
        newest
        > ubuntu x686 kernel.
        > If you need multimedia, get automatix - it will only run on ubuntu, not
        > kubuntu, but you can copy and paste the entries to a terminal and
        get full
        > multimedia features (i.e. all the non free stuff) with very little
        effort.

        > Hope that helps,
        >
        > Peer

      • Herman
        Message 3 of 4 , Dec 11, 2005
          Well, my Mandriva 2005 screwed up, which gave me an excuse to try 2006. Guess what - it works perfectly on my Inspiron 1200.  Even suspend to disk works and ndiswrapper works with the 1350 WiFi card.

          Cheers,

          H.

          http://us.click.yahoo.com/KIlPFB/vlQLAA/TtwFAA/s5T0lB/TM

              http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/