Best distro for Inspiron 4100 and sleep?

  • Noel Llopis
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 6, 2005
      A while ago I was able to get Mandrake 9.2 working on my Inspiron 4100
      without much trouble
      (http://convexhull.com/mandrake_on_inspiron_4100.html). I even had
      sleep working like a charm.

      Unfortunately, my efforts to use a newer Mandrake/Mandriva
      distribution have completely failed in the sleep department. I've
      tried apm and apci without any luck.

      Is there a modern distro that people have gotten to work with a i4100
      or similar? Or is it just the new kernel? Am I better off going back
      to 9.2? Thoughts?

      Thanks.

      --Noel
    • Peer
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 7, 2005
        Hi,

        as I posted a while ago, I´m running kubuntu breezy on an i4100 (ati
        graphics). Install was really easy, suspend to disc is working fine, suspend
        to ram is working but kills sound output - probably easy to be fixed, but I
        didn´t bother as I use s2d anyway. One minor flaw with s2d: when you unplug
        the power while its suspending, it hangs on resume. Just unplug before you
        suspend and you´ll be fine. All the kernels I´ve head behave pretty simular -
        I didn´t do any real comparing though - currently I´m running the newest
        ubuntu x686 kernel.
        If you need multimedia, get automatix - it will only run on ubuntu, not
        kubuntu, but you can copy and paste the entries to a terminal and get full
        multimedia features (i.e. all the non free stuff) with very little effort.

        Hope that helps,

        Peer
      • Noel Llopis
        Message 3 of 4 , Dec 11, 2005
          I went ahead and tried Kubuntu (2.6.10 kernel) and it was better than
          Mandriva. After enabling it, it actually does suspend and restore from
          ram.

          But:
          - If the power cord is plugged in, it will freeze on restore 100% of
          the time (not just if you unplug it while it's suspending)
          - One out of 4-5 times, it will freeze on restore no matter what.

          I running it on an Inspiron 4100 with an Nvidia card.

          Any other distros that people have working on the 4100 out of the box?
          So far I've tried:
          - Mandrake 9.2
          - Mandrake 10.1
          - Mandrake 10.2 (aka 2005LE)
          - Mandriva 2006
          - Debian stable (Sarge)
          - Kubuntu Breezy
          Any others? :-) Are there any laptop-specific distros out there? I'll
          try anything right now.

          Frankly, I'm just about ready to go back to Mandrake 9.2. At least
          things were working perfectly with APM (although it didn't have
          dynamic CPU throttle). I guess I could try Mandrake 10.0 along the
          way. Blah.

          This whole thing sucks. It must be one of the last areas where Linux
          is still lagging way behind.

          --Noel

          --- In linux-dell-laptops@yahoogroups.com, Peer <p-lists@o...> wrote:

          > Hi,
          >
          > as I posted a while ago, I´m running kubuntu breezy on an i4100 (ati
          > graphics). Install was really easy, suspend to disc is working fine,
          suspend
          > to ram is working but kills sound output - probably easy to be
          fixed, but I
          > didn´t bother as I use s2d anyway. One minor flaw with s2d: when you
          unplug
          > the power while its suspending, it hangs on resume. Just unplug
          before you
          > suspend and you´ll be fine. All the kernels I´ve head behave pretty
          simular -
          > I didn´t do any real comparing though - currently I´m running the
          newest
          > ubuntu x686 kernel.
          > If you need multimedia, get automatix - it will only run on ubuntu, not
          > kubuntu, but you can copy and paste the entries to a terminal and
          get full
          > multimedia features (i.e. all the non free stuff) with very little
          effort.

          > Hope that helps,
          >
          > Peer

        • Herman
          Message 4 of 4 , Dec 11, 2005
            Well, my Mandriva 2005 screwed up, which gave me an excuse to try 2006. Guess what - it works perfectly on my Inspiron 1200.  Even suspend to disk works and ndiswrapper works with the 1350 WiFi card.

            Cheers,

            H.

            http://us.click.yahoo.com/KIlPFB/vlQLAA/TtwFAA/s5T0lB/TM

                http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/