Re: want to use s-video output for mp4 files. How?

  • richardg1952
    Message 1 of 7 , Dec 2, 2005
      --- In linux-dell-laptops@yahoogroups.com, Ardell Faul <ardell@i...>
      wrote:
      I wasn't clear. The cable is not a problem, it's s-video to s-video.
      My problem is that I get no output from the TV-out on the laptop.

      > You can google S-video adapter and get some good links. One is
      > http://www.pccables.com/70714.htm which shows you how to combine the
      > S-video components into a single RCA jack input like the old ones on
      > your VCR etc. But if you need to seperate the old style composite
      > video into S-video, it will be a lot like pouring a cup of red liquid
      > into a cup of blue liquid, and then trying to get them back apart again.
      >
      > --
      > Ardell Faul
      > Laptop Computer & Monitor Repair
      > 10816 E. Mission Ave.,
      > Spokane, Wa. 99206-4822
      > ardell@i...
      > 509-891-5188
      > -
      >

      > richardg1952 wrote:
      >
      > >I would like to send the output of videos played on kaffeine (xine) or
      > >mplayer to the s-video out connected to a TV. Does anyone know how to
      > >do this?
      > >
      > >Thanks.
      > >Richard

    • Alexandre Tessier
      Message 2 of 7 , Dec 3, 2005
        Which video card (nvidia, ati,...)?
        With nvidia card, you have to use the nvidia driver (named nvidia):
        http://www.nvidia.com/object/unix.html
        You have to read the README file to set up TV-out in the xorg.conf file.

        Alex.

        richardg1952 a écrit :
        > --- In linux-dell-laptops@yahoogroups.com, Ardell Faul <ardell@i...>
        > wrote:
        > I wasn't clear. The cable is not a problem, it's s-video to s-video.
        > My problem is that I get no output from the TV-out on the laptop.
        >

        >>You can google S-video adapter and get some good links. One is
        >>http://www.pccables.com/70714.htm which shows you how to combine the
        >>S-video components into a single RCA jack input like the old ones on
        >>your VCR etc. But if you need to seperate the old style composite
        >>video into S-video, it will be a lot like pouring a cup of red liquid
        >>into a cup of blue liquid, and then trying to get them back apart again.
        >>
        >>--
        >>Ardell Faul
        >>Laptop Computer & Monitor Repair
        >>10816 E. Mission Ave.,
        >>Spokane, Wa. 99206-4822
        >>ardell@i...
        >>509-891-5188
        >>-
        >>

        >>richardg1952 wrote:
        >>

        >>>I would like to send the output of videos played on kaffeine (xine) or
        >>>mplayer to the s-video out connected to a TV. Does anyone know how to
        >>>do this?
        >>>
        >>>Thanks.
        >>>Richard

      • richardg1952
        Message 3 of 7 , Dec 4, 2005
          --- In linux-dell-laptops@yahoogroups.com, Alexandre Tessier
          <Alexandre.Tessier@u...> wrote:

          > Which video card (nvidia, ati,...)?
          > With nvidia card, you have to use the nvidia driver (named nvidia):
          > http://www.nvidia.com/object/unix.html
          > You have to read the README file to set up TV-out in the xorg.conf file.

          I have the ATI Radeon using the Xorg radeon driver. A man on radeon
          doesn't list any option that references TV, s-video etc.
          I've also tried connecting ohe s-video and rebooting the laptop. I
          assumed that I should see output to the tv screen during bootup prior
          to loading Linux, but I get nada. The cable works on my wife's
          Thinkpad running XP.
        • Alexandre Tessier
          Message 4 of 7 , Dec 4, 2005
            richardg1952 a écrit :
            > I have the ATI Radeon using the Xorg radeon driver. A man on radeon
            > doesn't list any option that references TV, s-video etc.
            > I've also tried connecting ohe s-video and rebooting the laptop. I
            > assumed that I should see output to the tv screen during bootup prior
            > to loading Linux, but I get nada. The cable works on my wife's
            > Thinkpad running XP.

            I have no experience with ATI cards. :-(
            I you go to the ATI web site (www.ati.com -> Drivers & Software -> Linux
            Drivers and Software -> RADEON 8500 Series and higher -> ATI Proprietary
            Linux x86 Drivers for XFREE86 / X. Org Version 8.19.10 -> ATI
            Proprietary Linux Driver FAQ), the first item is :

            Q1: What features are provided by the ATI Proprietary Linux Driver?
            A1: The ATI Proprietary Linux driver currently provides hardware
            acceleration for 3D graphics and video playback. It also includes
            support for dual displays and TV Output.

            I think you should have a doc that comes with the driver.
            Maybe you have also a setting tool that comes with the driver.

            Alex.
          • uteck
            Message 5 of 7 , Dec 5, 2005
              For my ati card I had to change the resolution to 840x600 to display
              properly on my TV with the s-video.

              On 12/4/05, Alexandre Tessier <Alexandre.Tessier@...> wrote:
              > richardg1952 a écrit :
              > > I have the ATI Radeon using the Xorg radeon driver. A man on radeon
              > > doesn't list any option that references TV, s-video etc.
              > > I've also tried connecting ohe s-video and rebooting the laptop. I
              > > assumed that I should see output to the tv screen during bootup prior
              > > to loading Linux, but I get nada. The cable works on my wife's
              > > Thinkpad running XP.
              >
              > I have no experience with ATI cards. :-(
              > I you go to the ATI web site (www.ati.com -> Drivers & Software -> Linux
              > Drivers and Software -> RADEON 8500 Series and higher -> ATI Proprietary
              > Linux x86 Drivers for XFREE86 / X. Org Version 8.19.10 -> ATI
              > Proprietary Linux Driver FAQ), the first item is :
              >
              > Q1: What features are provided by the ATI Proprietary Linux Driver?
              > A1: The ATI Proprietary Linux driver currently provides hardware
              > acceleration for 3D graphics and video playback. It also includes
              > support for dual displays and TV Output.
              >
              > I think you should have a doc that comes with the driver.
              > Maybe you have also a setting tool that comes with the driver.
              >
              > Alex.

              no .sig found
              Please restart your browser.