[linux-dell-laptops] Re: Linux on XPi P133ST

  • Hugh Eland
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 2, 2000
      Hi Neil,

      Sorry - I didn't give a clear enough explaination in my origional message.
      The XPI P133ST I have has been completely wiped, and the PCMCIA slots
      disabled - i.e. they don't have any power or anything. Apparently there are
      routines from Dell and others in DOS and windows to enable the slots - but
      installing windows run n floppies is tedious. Is there any way to turn the
      slots on so I can then use the PCMCIA modules?

      Hugh

      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 3, 2000
        On Mon, 3 Jan 2000 00:13:56 -0000, you wrote:

        > Sorry - I didn't give a clear enough explaination in my origional message.
        >The XPI P133ST I have has been completely wiped, and the PCMCIA slots
        >disabled - i.e. they don't have any power or anything. Apparently there are
        >routines from Dell and others in DOS and windows to enable the slots - but
        >installing windows run n floppies is tedious. Is there any way to turn the
        >slots on so I can then use the PCMCIA modules?

        I know dell have a decent card manager type program you can get from their
        website but which helps installation of PCMCIA. Are you saying they might be
        disabled at BIOS level ?

        But why install windows if you want to use linux ? I don't quite get it. Or am I
        missing something ?

        Neil
      • Hugh Eland
        Message 3 of 6 , Jan 3, 2000
          Hi Neil,

          A bit more experimentation has produced results - The CDROM drive I am using
          suddenly sprung into life when powered externally - it says clearly that is
          can be powered from the PCMCIA.........

          I think this is now a hardware issue - sorry about any confusion and many
          many thanks for your help.

          Hugh

        • emullen@heartland.net
          Message 4 of 6 , May 28, 2000
            --- In linux-dell-laptops@egroups.com, Neil <neil@t...> wrote:
            > On Sat, 01 Jan 2000 07:08:34 -0800, you wrote:
            >

            > >I have bought a second hand Latitude XPI P133ST, without any
            software,
            > >but am hoping to run Linux on it. Is is possible to use the normal
            > >distributions to enable the PCMCIA card slots on the machine? If
            not,
            > >how do I enable them?
            >
            > Most linux distributions come with PCMCIA support, or you can
            download rpms or
            > whatever with ouot much problem. Best thing to do is to find a copy
            the latest
            > PCMCIA howto which will list all cards supported and give you
            instructions.

            > Neil

            Hello , I have the same machine , have intalled Win98se, have also
            setup a Linux partition and a boot manager.
            Have been tyring to install Mandrake-Linux 7.0 , how do you get the
            installaion boot-up to see your PCMCIA cd-rom?
            I'm using a Citirom PCMCIA eide card connected to a Delta 48x ide cd-
            rom.
            Thanks , Erik