i am new, just started with ubuntu live

  • whatiyam007
    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 30, 2005
      I just booted from the ubuntu 5.10 for pc live cd. the problems i had
      with suse 9.3, the resolution and that it did not recognize my
      ethernet web connection, are not a problem with ubuntu, i did not have
      to set anything. it recognized my dsl connection and i connected to
      the web immediately, and the resolution is just right. i was worried
      that i would have to give up some resolution with linux, but not now.
      I kind of would like to have the multiple desktops in knoppix on
      ubuntu, but i am surprised how easy it ws to install.

      now can i expect the same setup when i install to hd?
    • FuturePast
      Message 2 of 6 , Nov 30, 2005
        > Message: 4
        > Date: Wed, 30 Nov 2005 08:00:44 -0000
        > From: "whatiyam007" <whatiyam@...>
        > Subject: i am new, just started with ubuntu live
        >

        > now can i expect the same setup when i install to hd?

        Yes. I believe the Ubuntu live cd is based directly on the
        main distro's installer.

        Dafydd
      • Herman
        Message 3 of 6 , Nov 30, 2005
          FuturePast wrote:
          >>Message: 4
          >> Date: Wed, 30 Nov 2005 08:00:44 -0000
          >> From: "whatiyam007" <whatiyam@...>
          >>Subject: i am new, just started with ubuntu live
          >>

          >>now can i expect the same setup when i install to hd?
          >

          > Yes. I believe the Ubuntu live cd is based directly on the
          > main distro's installer.

          Ubuntu is very easy to install.

          To my mind, the best Linux distribution is the one that happens to work
          on your hardware. This year it may be Ubuntu, next year Suse...

          Note that there are two main versions of Ubuntu:
          Ubuntu - Gnome desktop
          Kubuntu - KDE desktop

          I suppose you would not want Edubuntu.

          See the Ubuntu forums here, for help:
          http://www.ubuntuforums.org/

          Cheers,

          H.
        • Alexander Toresson
          Message 4 of 6 , Nov 30, 2005
            On 11/30/05, Herman <herman@...> wrote:
            > FuturePast wrote:
            > >>Message: 4
            > >> Date: Wed, 30 Nov 2005 08:00:44 -0000
            > >> From: "whatiyam007" <whatiyam@...>
            > >>Subject: i am new, just started with ubuntu live
            > >>

            > >>now can i expect the same setup when i install to hd?
            > >

            > > Yes. I believe the Ubuntu live cd is based directly on the
            > > main distro's installer.
            >
            > Ubuntu is very easy to install.
            >
            > To my mind, the best Linux distribution is the one that happens to work
            > on your hardware. This year it may be Ubuntu, next year Suse...
            >
            > Note that there are two main versions of Ubuntu:
            > Ubuntu - Gnome desktop
            > Kubuntu - KDE desktop
            >
            > I suppose you would not want Edubuntu.
            >
            > See the Ubuntu forums here, for help:
            > http://www.ubuntuforums.org/

            Most distros should work on your hardware, because they share the same
            kernel. Some require you to do a little more or a little less fiddling
            and configuration, though.

            Regards, Alexander Toresson
          • Herman
            Message 5 of 6 , Nov 30, 2005
              > Most distros should work on your hardware, because they share the same
              > kernel. Some require you to do a little more or a little less fiddling
              > and configuration, though.

              Well, that is the whole problem - on a desktop, anything goes, but on a
              notebook, the power management is a big spanner in the works and the
              documentation on it is severely lacking. Therefore the only practical
              way to get suspend to disk to work for example, is to try various
              distros, until you find one that works out of the box on your hardware.

              Of course, every distro claims that suspend works, but in practise it
              only works on specific machines and they never tell you which.

              Fiddling with suspend is not an option - there is no information on it
              that an ordinary mortal can understand. I have 20 years of Unix
              experience and gave up with suspend, since getting it to work is just
              too time consuming.
            • Christoph Eckert
              Message 6 of 6 , Nov 30, 2005
                > Most distros should work on your hardware, because they share the
                > same kernel. Some require you to do a little more or a little less
                > fiddling and configuration, though.

                I cannot confirm that.

                Distributors tend to tweak the kernel in various ways, and this
                influences if it will run on your hardware.

                Furthermore - especially on laptops - often not all hardware is
                supported. And instead of a desktop you cannot change it.

                OTOH: I did never care about suspend, I do not need it necessarily, I
                did try to use the internal modem, but meanwhile I use DSL/network for
                connectivity, my internal audio chip works but I have an additional USB
                card for audio work so I wouldn't care about it if it wouldn't work.

                This means: it depends what you want to do and what you need if a
                particular distribution fulfills your needs or not.

                Best regards

                ce