Re: [linux-dell-laptops] Re: Can I force Dell to refund the purcahse price of windows?

  • James Frye
    Message 1 of 20 , Nov 29, 2005
      On Tue, 29 Nov 2005, John Logsdon wrote:

      > Some people put Linux on PPC's so there must be a reason.

      Yeah. My other computer is an IBM BlueGene. PPC processors running a
      stripped-down Linux kernel on the compute nodes, full Linux on the head
      nodes. Think you could get Windoze to do that? Sure :-)

      > But there is no way something like Unix - which already existed then
      > - would have been developed as a consumer product in the same way that
      > MS has developed and marketed it's software.

      You've also got to think about the enormous amount of effort MS has
      devoted to making Windoze a system that can be used by - how shall I put
      it? - the intellectual least common denominator. And in the process,
      making it do all sorts of things that computers really have no reason to
      do, like play music or movies. But as long as I don't have to work with
      it, that's fine, 'cause all the game players and music downloaders lower
      the cost of hardware to me :-)