Re: [linux-dell-laptops] Thanks for the replys

  • James Frye
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 28, 2005
      On Tue, 29 Nov 2005, myidisjohnsmith wrote:

      > I read an article about it being a
      > form of free speach and it really got me thinking that linux is a good
      > thing.

      I know the GNU folks and others like to think that way, but I think it's
      entirely wrong-headed. It's the sort of thinking that adds layers of
      Windoze look-alike GUIs on top of the OS.

      I use Linux for entirely different reasons: because it is a far better
      tool for doing my work. I'm basically dysiconic (a word I coined, by
      analogy to dyslexia). I simply do not find meaning in most supposedly
      "intuitive", icon-driven programs. Linux lets me work with text. If
      Microsoft or someone sold a Unix-like OS, I'd buy it. Instead, I get it
      free, but have to deal with occasional install hassles.