Re: [linux-dell-laptops] Digest Number 2243

  • Alexander Toresson
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 28, 2005
      On 11/28/05, FuturePast <4uturepast@...> wrote:
      > > Message: 2
      > > Date: Mon, 28 Nov 2005 09:47:30 +0100 (CET)
      > > From: roberto <robcatanuto@...>
      > > Subject: normal temp or not
      > >
      > > hello,
      > > i hold a Dell D600 laptop
      > > kernel 2.6.8
      > > distro: debian sarge
      > >
      > > usually temperature of CPU is about 52-55 degrees C,
      > > even with only few applications running: mozilla, gvim, some konsoles...
      > >
      > > is it normal?
      >
      > I would say, normal, yes. When I was running Debian Sid my cpu temp would
      > average 55-60C (rather hot.)

      That's because you didn't have the right modules loaded. Assuming
      you've got a Pentium M, load acpi-cpufreq (or speedstep-centrino on a
      pre-2.6.12 kernel) and cpufreq-userspace, then install powernowd and
      let it control your cpu speed. You can even shut it down and control
      it yourself if you want.

      Regards, Alexander Toresson