Re: [linux-dell-laptops] How do I uninstall my Fedora Linux

  • bobby bobby
    Message 1 of 7 , Nov 25, 2005
      Thanks for reply I wanna install other version of LINUX so I was checking the uninstallation process.

      "Douglas S. Oliver" <dsoliver@...> wrote:
      Not sure what exactly you want to do here. I read a couple of the responses you got. Do you simply want to return to an XP only machine--remove all linux?

      You can now dual boot right? This is where fdisk (Windows version) is your friend (see warning below). I would start by booting into Windows. Run fdisk with "fdisk /mbr <enter>". That should re write the master boot record to run with windows. Re boot to see what you get. The system should still boot ok, but you may not have gotten rid of grub. Run fdisk again to see what partitions you have. Normally you would have at least a Dell maintenance partition, a dos/windows or NTFS partition, linux partition(s) since linux is installed. Next I would delete the partitions I didn't want.

      Now you're left with your Dell partition, your windows partition, lots of empty space wasted in unallocated disk space. Save and exit fdisk. Run fdisk /mbr again just for fun. Reboot. If everything is running ok so far, run fdisk again and make a partition using the unused disk space. Save and exit fdisk. Think about what your drive should look like: i.e. c: d: etc. The Dell partition is usually not visible from windows explorer. Format the new drive letter (d: e:, etc.), and reboot again. Check your work.

      WARNING: ntfs partitions use different tools: If I remember correctly, ntfs doesn't use fdisk. I think it uses disktool or some such thing, and has a program for fixing the boot partition. Read your manual. Fat32 partitions can be manipulated with fdisk.

      I think you're making a big mistake and really want to stay with Linux. With the latest Openoffice.org and other tools/programs, there are increasingly few reasons to return to Windows of any type. But hey, you gotta do what you gotta do. Best of luck-- Douglas