Re: PCMCIA

  • Gregory D. Watts
    Message 1 of 25 , Nov 20, 2005
      How old is your 1350? When I called Dell I was told they no longer
      support Linux in any for hardware wise (yet they sell Redhat)
      Also I emailed them asking about a PCMCIA that would run on Linux
      and the email I recieved back informed me that Linux was spyware and
      needed to be removed and for a fee would help me remove it. So Dell
      does not know what they are doing in this area.
      If your 1350 is older it most likely will run on Linux but nothing
      new will that I know of

      > my 1350 in my I8600 works excellent with suse 10.0 and
      ndiswrapper ....

      > --
      >
      > In a world without walls or fences ... who needs Windows or
      Gates ??

      > --unknown--
      >
      > Registered Linux User #403007

    • Gregory D. Watts
      Message 2 of 25 , Nov 20, 2005
        Yes I found this site when I Googled before I posted, the problem is
        I hate the idea of paying for the adapter when I am not sure how to
        even install it. This is my first real go at Linux (I ran Mandrake
        for about 2 months on my desktop) I have no idea how to install taz
        I can rpm's and he gives instructions on running script I have no
        idea how to do that. I have the Linux+ Bible in ebook and of course
        the man, but it is still a little criptic to me. I will download the
        trial and see if I can get it going, now I have to figure out how to
        remove ndiswrapper? I like Linux a great deal more then Windows and
        am convenced I always will, but it reminds me of when I was first
        learning DOS 1.0 back in the day.

        --- In linux-dell-laptops@yahoogroups.com, Herman <herman@a...>
        wrote:

        > Tasana Computers wrote:
        > > System is a Dell Inspriron 1200 SUSE 10.0 Dell sent a 1350 which
        will
        > > not run on SUSE or any Linux not even with ndicwrapper.
        >
        > I am running a Dell Inspiron 1200 with the 1350 adaptor - using it
        right
        > now:
        > http://www.aerospacesoftware.com/notebook-howto.html
        >
        > Cheers,
        >
        > Herman

      • Gregory D. Watts
        Message 3 of 25 , Nov 20, 2005
          Update
          I downloaded the driver and uploaded what I hope is the right one
          for mine. Now the green power LED is on and every great once in a
          while the connection LED will flash, But I can't connect to the
          router. I configured the PCMCIA in YaST, so what did I do Wrong???

          --- In linux-dell-laptops@yahoogroups.com, "Gregory D. Watts"
          <poneyboy@t...> wrote:

          > Yes I found this site when I Googled before I posted, the problem
          is
          > I hate the idea of paying for the adapter when I am not sure how
          > even install it. This is my first real go at Linux (I ran Mandrake
          > for about 2 months on my desktop) I have no idea how to install
        • Herman
          Message 4 of 25 , Nov 20, 2005
            Gregory D. Watts wrote:
            > Update
            > I downloaded the driver and uploaded what I hope is the right one
            > for mine. Now the green power LED is on and every great once in a
            > while the connection LED will flash, But I can't connect to the
            > router. I configured the PCMCIA in YaST, so what did I do Wrong???

            If the light turns on, then you are doing something right - almost there...

            To debug this, you *HAVE* to use the command line tools. Forget about
            GUIs since they do not give you any error messages. GUIs are great when
            things work, but worse than useless when things don't work.

            So, look at my howto guide, then read the manual pages on ifconfig and
            iwconfig and let me know what you find.

            Cheers,

            Herman
          • Tasana Computers
            Message 5 of 25 , Nov 20, 2005
              Herman
              I got the script to run in terminual it is several lines I tried typing
              in each line but no way, I do not know how to run it here are the
              instructions
              . Here is my little wup script:

              #! /bin/bash
              killall dhclient
              ifconfig wlan0 down
              ifconfig eth0 down
              ifconfig wlan0 up
              iwconfig wlan0 essid myssid mode managed key 123456789a
              dhclient wlan0

              Usually, the WiFi adaptor will connect to my router at power up, but
              sometimes, I need to run that script, so put it in /usr/local/bin to
              keep it handy and make it executable with:

              # chmod 755 wup

              On Sun, 2005-11-20 at 23:51 -0700, Herman wrote:

              > If the light turns on, then you are doing something right - almost there...
              >
              > To debug this, you *HAVE* to use the command line tools. Forget about
              > GUIs since they do not give you any error messages. GUIs are great when
              > things work, but worse than useless when things don't work.
              >
              > So, look at my howto guide, then read the manual pages on ifconfig and
              > iwconfig and let me know what you find.
              >
              > Cheers,
              >
              > Herman

            • Herman
              Message 6 of 25 , Nov 20, 2005
                Tasana Computers wrote:
                > Herman
                > I got the script to run in terminual it is several lines I tried typing
                > in each line but no way, I do not know how to run it here are the
                > instructions
                > . Here is my little wup script:
                >
                > #! /bin/bash
                > killall dhclient
                > ifconfig wlan0 down
                > ifconfig eth0 down
                > ifconfig wlan0 up
                > iwconfig wlan0 essid myssid mode managed key 123456789a
                > dhclient wlan0

                First of all, you got to be the super user, root:

                $ su -
                password
                #

                Now run ifconfig and iwconfig and see what they say:
                # ifconfig

                # iwconfig

                You have to start with the basics.
              • Tasana Computers
                Message 7 of 25 , Nov 20, 2005
                  ifconfig
                  spits out data
                  iwconfig
                  no wireless extentions

                  Message 8 of 25 , Nov 21, 2005
                    Tasana Computers wrote:
                    > ifconfig
                    > spits out data
                    > iwconfig
                    > no wireless extentions

                    See this:
                    http://www.hpl.hp.com/personal/Jean_Tourrilhes/Linux/Tools.html

                    Howeve, even with no wireless entensions, it should still list the
                    parameters for wlan0. If not, then the driver is not installed, or
                    wlan0 is down.

                    Try lsmod to see if ndiswrapper is loaded:
                    # lsmod

                    If it is loaded, try:
                    # ifconfig wlan0 up

                    # iwconfig wlan0

                    and see what they say.
                  • Tasana Computers
                    Message 9 of 25 , Nov 21, 2005
                      You were right I did get the wlan0 parameters
                      they are as follows
                      IEEE 802.11g ESSID: "default" Nickname: "unknown"
                      Mode: Managed frequency:2.437 GHz Access Point: 00:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx
                      Bit Rate=54 MB/s Tx-Power:0 dBm
                      RTS thr:off Fragment thr:off
                      Encryption key:off
                      Link Quality=86/94 Signal level=-41 dBm Noise level=-154 dBm
                      Rx invalid nwid:0 Rx invalid crypy:0 Rx invalid frag:0

                      Where there are xxx above there are numbers.

                      --
                      Gregory D. Watts
                      Poneyboy
                      Message 10 of 25 , Nov 21, 2005
                        Herman
                        Thanks for all your help. I am now wireless. it turns out the driver
                        install had turned on the firewall. It should have been the first thing
                        I checked. But we are up and running now. Thanks a million.

                        Message 11 of 25 , Nov 21, 2005
                          Tasana Computers wrote:
                          > Herman
                          > Thanks for all your help. I am now wireless. it turns out the driver
                          > install had turned on the firewall. It should have been the first thing
                          > I checked. But we are up and running now. Thanks a million.

                          OK cool. I did not really do much, except show you the command line
                          utilities. I have found so many times, that the easiest way to zoom in
                          on a problem is to run ifconfig, iwconfig, lsmod and iptables -L and
                          look to see what is OK and what isn't, then take it from there.

                          Cheers,

                          H.