Printtool will not open, citing display problem

  • Carter Brey
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 17, 2005
      Hello,

      I've always used printtol under X to install and configure printers.
      Under FC4 running on a Latitude D600 I now get the following:

      [cbrey@BettyBoop ~]$ sudo printtool
      Xlib: No protocol specified

      ImportError: could not import gtk
      Xlib: No protocol specified

      Traceback (most recent call last):
      File "/usr/sbin/printtool", line 7, in ?
      import queueTree
      File "/usr/share/printconf/util/queueTree.py", line 71, in ?
      import gtk
      File
      "/usr/src/build/535819-i386/install/usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/gtk-2.0/gtk/__init__.py",
      line 37, in ?
      RuntimeError: could not open display

      I admit I'm perplexed by this message, especially since it used to work
      just fine. Any help would be appreciated.

      CB
    • uteck
      Message 2 of 2 , Nov 17, 2005
        Root does not have permission to use your X session. You can give it
        temporary permission with;
        xhost +
        actually that will allow anyone to use your xession. I think 'xhost +
        localhost' might work also.

        On 11/17/05, Carter Brey <cbrey@...> wrote:
        > Hello,
        >
        > I've always used printtol under X to install and configure printers.
        > Under FC4 running on a Latitude D600 I now get the following:
        >
        > [cbrey@BettyBoop ~]$ sudo printtool
        > Xlib: No protocol specified
        >
        > ImportError: could not import gtk
        > Xlib: No protocol specified
        >
        > Traceback (most recent call last):
        > File "/usr/sbin/printtool", line 7, in ?
        > import queueTree
        > File "/usr/share/printconf/util/queueTree.py", line 71, in ?
        > import gtk
        > File
        > "/usr/src/build/535819-i386/install/usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/gtk-2.0/gtk/__init__.py",
        > line 37, in ?
        > RuntimeError: could not open display
        >
        > I admit I'm perplexed by this message, especially since it used to work
        > just fine. Any help would be appreciated.
        >
        > CB

        no .sig found
        Please restart your browser.