Windows huuuge mail question

  • Herman
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 16, 2005
      I guess this is as good an off topic area to ask as any...

      Could anyone advise me regarding a Windoze email client that can handle
      really large amounts of old email?

      Outlook truncates the PST file after a while.
      Thunderbird gets so slow, that it becomes useless.
      Eudora won't import MBOX mail files.
      Mutt does have a Windoze version, but gawddammit, giving Mutt to a Lawyer...

      One solution is to separate the old mail from each year, into a
      different directory, so that the mail client will only open a subset and
      not try to load the whole damn lot into memmory.

      I tried to do multiple installations of Thunderbird, but that is
      difficult, since all copies wants to use the same settings so they
      refuse to behave independently. There must be a workaround, but it will
      probably take hours to figure out.

      So far it seems the only workable solution is distributing the old mail
      over multiple users/PCs - one year per user/machine.

      Fscking Windows...

      Cheers,

      H.
    • Daniel Curry
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 16, 2005
        With thunderbird did you try using different profiles?

        if using Mutt, tell the attourney it's like using the old WordPerfect
        5.1 he is probably familiar with.

        another alternative might be a webmail solution...let the server handle
        the message store and just give him a web interface into the old
        messages...add google search tool to it and he should be set...

        Just thoughts off the top of my head.

        Herman wrote:

        >I guess this is as good an off topic area to ask as any...
        >
        >Could anyone advise me regarding a Windoze email client that can handle
        >really large amounts of old email?
        >
        >Outlook truncates the PST file after a while.
        >Thunderbird gets so slow, that it becomes useless.
        >Eudora won't import MBOX mail files.
        >Mutt does have a Windoze version, but gawddammit, giving Mutt to a Lawyer...
        >
        >One solution is to separate the old mail from each year, into a
        >different directory, so that the mail client will only open a subset and
        >not try to load the whole damn lot into memmory.
        >
        >I tried to do multiple installations of Thunderbird, but that is
        >difficult, since all copies wants to use the same settings so they
        >refuse to behave independently. There must be a workaround, but it will
        >probably take hours to figure out.
        >
        >So far it seems the only workable solution is distributing the old mail
        >over multiple users/PCs - one year per user/machine.
        >
        >Fscking Windows...
        >
        >Cheers,
        >
        >H.

      • Herman
        Message 3 of 4 , Nov 16, 2005
          Daniel Curry wrote:
          > With thunderbird did you try using different profiles?

          Hmmmm - profiles...

          I'll give it a try, thanks.
        • Douglas S. Oliver
          Message 4 of 4 , Nov 16, 2005
            You could try good old Pine. It allows one to breakup email by period--month for example (default). A couple of years ago I installed it on a Windoze box because I liked it on Linux. It seemed to handle different email formats pretty well. It's not a fancy GUI program of course, but it's fast and quite functional. -- Douglas