Re: migrate from rh9 to rhe3 on dell d610

  • David
    Message 1 of 9 , Nov 12 7:30 PM
      That's a great idea, Herman. It came to me after I wrote the first
      post and read his reply that the D610 has a new i915 chipset. Chances
      are that RH9's kernel can't properly identify/use much of the new
      hardware. A Knoppix Live CD might be the perfect solution. I also
      suggested that, if he felt comfortable with it, he might want to
      upgrade to the latest 2.4 kernel. It might have the device support he
      needs to get that external drive working.

      --- In linux-dell-laptops@yahoogroups.com, Herman <herman@a...> wrote:

      > Hmmmm, if all you are trying to do, is save your data before upgrading
      > the system, then use a Knoppix Live CD. Chances are that it will
      > identify everything perfectly, then you can just format the external
      > drive and save your schtuff.
      >
      > Cheers,
      >
      > H.

    • Alexander Toresson
      Message 2 of 9 , Nov 13 12:35 AM
        Umh, latest 2.4 kernel? Shouldn't that be latest 2.6 kernel?

        Regards, Alexander Toresson

        On 11/13/05, David <davidsinaus@...> wrote:

        > That's a great idea, Herman. It came to me after I wrote the first
        > post and read his reply that the D610 has a new i915 chipset. Chances
        > are that RH9's kernel can't properly identify/use much of the new
        > hardware. A Knoppix Live CD might be the perfect solution. I also
        > suggested that, if he felt comfortable with it, he might want to
        > upgrade to the latest 2.4 kernel. It might have the device support he
        > needs to get that external drive working.
        >
        > --- In linux-dell-laptops@yahoogroups.com, Herman <herman@a...> wrote:
        > >
        > > Hmmmm, if all you are trying to do, is save your data before upgrading
        > > the system, then use a Knoppix Live CD. Chances are that it will
        > > identify everything perfectly, then you can just format the external
        > > drive and save your schtuff.
        > >
        > > Cheers,
        > >
        > > H.

      • David
        Message 3 of 9 , Nov 13 11:02 AM
          In his case, it would be 2.4, as he's moving from RH9 to RHEL 3.0,
          both of which are 2.4-based distributions.

          --- In linux-dell-laptops@yahoogroups.com, Alexander Toresson