Re: [linux-dell-laptops] Re: migrate from rh9 to rhe3 on dell d610

  • Alexander Toresson
    Message 1 of 9 , Nov 12, 2005
      fdisk -l will show you all partitions linux is currently seeing,
      including all that aren't mounted yet. Though it requires you to be
      root to use it. You could also switch to a tty and check what info you
      get about the usb drive when you connect it to your computer.

      Regards, Alexander Toresson

    • Herman
      Message 2 of 9 , Nov 12, 2005
        Hmmmm, if all you are trying to do, is save your data before upgrading
        the system, then use a Knoppix Live CD. Chances are that it will
        identify everything perfectly, then you can just format the external
        drive and save your schtuff.

        Cheers,

        H.
      • David
        Message 3 of 9 , Nov 12, 2005
          That's a great idea, Herman. It came to me after I wrote the first
          post and read his reply that the D610 has a new i915 chipset. Chances
          are that RH9's kernel can't properly identify/use much of the new
          hardware. A Knoppix Live CD might be the perfect solution. I also
          suggested that, if he felt comfortable with it, he might want to
          upgrade to the latest 2.4 kernel. It might have the device support he
          needs to get that external drive working.

          --- In linux-dell-laptops@yahoogroups.com, Herman <herman@a...> wrote:

          > Hmmmm, if all you are trying to do, is save your data before upgrading
          > the system, then use a Knoppix Live CD. Chances are that it will
          > identify everything perfectly, then you can just format the external
          > drive and save your schtuff.
          >
          > Cheers,
          >
          > H.

        • Alexander Toresson
          Message 4 of 9 , Nov 13, 2005
            Umh, latest 2.4 kernel? Shouldn't that be latest 2.6 kernel?

            On 11/13/05, David <davidsinaus@...> wrote:

            > That's a great idea, Herman. It came to me after I wrote the first
            > post and read his reply that the D610 has a new i915 chipset. Chances
            > are that RH9's kernel can't properly identify/use much of the new
            > hardware. A Knoppix Live CD might be the perfect solution. I also
            > suggested that, if he felt comfortable with it, he might want to
            > upgrade to the latest 2.4 kernel. It might have the device support he
            > needs to get that external drive working.
            >
            > --- In linux-dell-laptops@yahoogroups.com, Herman <herman@a...> wrote:
            > >
            > > Hmmmm, if all you are trying to do, is save your data before upgrading
            > > the system, then use a Knoppix Live CD. Chances are that it will
            > > identify everything perfectly, then you can just format the external
            > > drive and save your schtuff.
            > >
            > > Cheers,
            > >
            > > H.

          • David
            Message 5 of 9 , Nov 13, 2005
              In his case, it would be 2.4, as he's moving from RH9 to RHEL 3.0,
              both of which are 2.4-based distributions.

              --- In linux-dell-laptops@yahoogroups.com, Alexander Toresson