Re: [linux-dell-laptops] Re: migrate from rh9 to rhe3 on dell d610

  • Douglas S. Oliver
    Message 1 of 9 , Nov 11, 2005
      This is helpful information in that I had a similar question regarding rh9 and slackware 10.2. My i8600 has Rh but I want to move to slackware that I have installed on a couple of other machines. I think I might be able to use the slack space option myself. Thanks --Douglas

      Message 2 of 9 , Nov 11, 2005
        Thanks David,

        In fact, I have an external usb drive that I used
        partition magic to create a linux partition on.
        Unfortunately, I cannot get rh9 to recognize the
        drive. I found a note that indicated that I should
        see it if I type

        cat /proc/scsi/scsi

        and can use the info to create a mount point but no
        usb device is shown. Here's what I get:

        cat /proc/scsi/scsi
        Attached devices:
        Host: scsi0 Channel: 00 Id: 00 Lun: 00
        Vendor: _NEC Model: DVD+-RW ND-6500A Rev: 202C
        Type: CD-ROM ANSI SCSI
        revision: 02
        Host: scsi1 Channel: 00 Id: 00 Lun: 00
        Vendor: Model: Rev:
        Type: <NULL> ANSI SCSI revision:
        ffffffff

        I should mention that the usb drive is connected to
        the dell docking station. Any ideas?

        Paul Colestock

        __________________________________
        http://mail.yahoo.com
      • Alexander Toresson
        Message 3 of 9 , Nov 12, 2005
          fdisk -l will show you all partitions linux is currently seeing,
          including all that aren't mounted yet. Though it requires you to be
          root to use it. You could also switch to a tty and check what info you
          get about the usb drive when you connect it to your computer.

          Regards, Alexander Toresson

        • Herman
          Message 4 of 9 , Nov 12, 2005
            Hmmmm, if all you are trying to do, is save your data before upgrading
            the system, then use a Knoppix Live CD. Chances are that it will
            identify everything perfectly, then you can just format the external
            drive and save your schtuff.

            Cheers,

            H.
          • David
            Message 5 of 9 , Nov 12, 2005
              That's a great idea, Herman. It came to me after I wrote the first
              post and read his reply that the D610 has a new i915 chipset. Chances
              are that RH9's kernel can't properly identify/use much of the new
              hardware. A Knoppix Live CD might be the perfect solution. I also
              suggested that, if he felt comfortable with it, he might want to
              upgrade to the latest 2.4 kernel. It might have the device support he
              needs to get that external drive working.

              --- In linux-dell-laptops@yahoogroups.com, Herman <herman@a...> wrote:

              > Hmmmm, if all you are trying to do, is save your data before upgrading
              > the system, then use a Knoppix Live CD. Chances are that it will
              > identify everything perfectly, then you can just format the external
              > drive and save your schtuff.
              >
              > Cheers,
              >
              > H.

            • Alexander Toresson
              Message 6 of 9 , Nov 13, 2005
                Umh, latest 2.4 kernel? Shouldn't that be latest 2.6 kernel?

                On 11/13/05, David <davidsinaus@...> wrote:

                > That's a great idea, Herman. It came to me after I wrote the first
                > post and read his reply that the D610 has a new i915 chipset. Chances
                > are that RH9's kernel can't properly identify/use much of the new
                > hardware. A Knoppix Live CD might be the perfect solution. I also
                > suggested that, if he felt comfortable with it, he might want to
                > upgrade to the latest 2.4 kernel. It might have the device support he
                > needs to get that external drive working.
                >
                > --- In linux-dell-laptops@yahoogroups.com, Herman <herman@a...> wrote:
                > >
                > > Hmmmm, if all you are trying to do, is save your data before upgrading
                > > the system, then use a Knoppix Live CD. Chances are that it will
                > > identify everything perfectly, then you can just format the external
                > > drive and save your schtuff.
                > >
                > > Cheers,
                > >
                > > H.

              • David
                Message 7 of 9 , Nov 13, 2005
                  In his case, it would be 2.4, as he's moving from RH9 to RHEL 3.0,
                  both of which are 2.4-based distributions.

                  --- In linux-dell-laptops@yahoogroups.com, Alexander Toresson