Re: migrate from rh9 to rhe3 on dell d610

  • David
    Message 1 of 9 , Nov 11, 2005
      There are several ways to approach this, depending on your skill level
      and the amount of equipment/money you have:

      1. Buy/borrow an external USB DVD writer and burn everything to a
      DVD, then upgrade and restore your data. This is a somewhat tricky
      and expensive option, assuming that you have to buy everything.

      2. Buy/borrow an external USB harddrive, back everything up to it,
      perform your upgrade, then restore. This is less risky considering
      that it's easy(ier) to verify that your Linux data is good prior to
      formatting your notebook drive, but it can still be costly if you have
      to buy equipment.

      3. Use the basic steps of #2, but use a network share from another
      machine. It can be slow, but it's cheap and reliable if you have the
      space on another box and know how to mount a Windows file share.

      4. If the 10Gb can be moved into a single directory hierarchy and you
      have 10Gb of slack space, you can use a partitioning tool like
      PartitionMagic or GNU parted to repartition the drive
      non-destructively. Once you have the new partition created, move all
      your data to that partition. Then you can upgrade the distribution
      without interfering with your data. This is the cheapest option, but
      is rather labor-intensive.

      HTH!

      --- In linux-dell-laptops@yahoogroups.com, "paul_colestock"
      <paul_colestock@y...> wrote:

      > I want to migrate from rh9 to rh enterprise 3 on my dell d610. Is
      > there a way to upgrate my current kernal without disrupting my current
      > partitioning? Unfortunately I just have one linux partition and I
      > have 10Gb of user codes etc I do not want to have to reinstall. All
      > claim that current versions are compatible with both rh9 and rhe3. rh
      > migration documentation is not that helpful. I am looking for a step
      > by step procedure. Thanks in advance.

    • Douglas S. Oliver
      Message 2 of 9 , Nov 11, 2005
        This is helpful information in that I had a similar question regarding rh9 and slackware 10.2. My i8600 has Rh but I want to move to slackware that I have installed on a couple of other machines. I think I might be able to use the slack space option myself. Thanks --Douglas

        Message 3 of 9 , Nov 11, 2005
          Thanks David,

          In fact, I have an external usb drive that I used
          partition magic to create a linux partition on.
          Unfortunately, I cannot get rh9 to recognize the
          drive. I found a note that indicated that I should
          see it if I type

          cat /proc/scsi/scsi

          and can use the info to create a mount point but no
          usb device is shown. Here's what I get:

          cat /proc/scsi/scsi
          Attached devices:
          Host: scsi0 Channel: 00 Id: 00 Lun: 00
          Vendor: _NEC Model: DVD+-RW ND-6500A Rev: 202C
          Type: CD-ROM ANSI SCSI
          revision: 02
          Host: scsi1 Channel: 00 Id: 00 Lun: 00
          Vendor: Model: Rev:
          Type: <NULL> ANSI SCSI revision:
          ffffffff

          I should mention that the usb drive is connected to
          the dell docking station. Any ideas?

          Paul Colestock

          __________________________________
          http://mail.yahoo.com
        • Alexander Toresson
          Message 4 of 9 , Nov 12, 2005
            fdisk -l will show you all partitions linux is currently seeing,
            including all that aren't mounted yet. Though it requires you to be
            root to use it. You could also switch to a tty and check what info you
            get about the usb drive when you connect it to your computer.

            Regards, Alexander Toresson

          • Herman
            Message 5 of 9 , Nov 12, 2005
              Hmmmm, if all you are trying to do, is save your data before upgrading
              the system, then use a Knoppix Live CD. Chances are that it will
              identify everything perfectly, then you can just format the external
              drive and save your schtuff.

              Cheers,

              H.
            • David
              Message 6 of 9 , Nov 12, 2005
                That's a great idea, Herman. It came to me after I wrote the first
                post and read his reply that the D610 has a new i915 chipset. Chances
                are that RH9's kernel can't properly identify/use much of the new
                hardware. A Knoppix Live CD might be the perfect solution. I also
                suggested that, if he felt comfortable with it, he might want to
                upgrade to the latest 2.4 kernel. It might have the device support he
                needs to get that external drive working.

                --- In linux-dell-laptops@yahoogroups.com, Herman <herman@a...> wrote:

                > Hmmmm, if all you are trying to do, is save your data before upgrading
                > the system, then use a Knoppix Live CD. Chances are that it will
                > identify everything perfectly, then you can just format the external
                > drive and save your schtuff.
                >
                > Cheers,
                >
                > H.

              • Alexander Toresson
                Message 7 of 9 , Nov 13, 2005
                  Umh, latest 2.4 kernel? Shouldn't that be latest 2.6 kernel?

                  On 11/13/05, David <davidsinaus@...> wrote:

                  > That's a great idea, Herman. It came to me after I wrote the first
                  > post and read his reply that the D610 has a new i915 chipset. Chances
                  > are that RH9's kernel can't properly identify/use much of the new
                  > hardware. A Knoppix Live CD might be the perfect solution. I also
                  > suggested that, if he felt comfortable with it, he might want to
                  > upgrade to the latest 2.4 kernel. It might have the device support he
                  > needs to get that external drive working.
                  >
                  > --- In linux-dell-laptops@yahoogroups.com, Herman <herman@a...> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > Hmmmm, if all you are trying to do, is save your data before upgrading
                  > > the system, then use a Knoppix Live CD. Chances are that it will
                  > > identify everything perfectly, then you can just format the external
                  > > drive and save your schtuff.
                  > >
                  > > Cheers,
                  > >
                  > > H.

                • David
                  Message 8 of 9 , Nov 13, 2005
                    In his case, it would be 2.4, as he's moving from RH9 to RHEL 3.0,
                    both of which are 2.4-based distributions.

                    --- In linux-dell-laptops@yahoogroups.com, Alexander Toresson