Re: USB mouse

  • Joan Pujol
    Message 1 of 9 , Nov 7, 2005
      --- In linux-dell-laptops@yahoogroups.com, Robert Svoboda
      <r080@a...> wrote:

      > * Joan Pujol <mimosinnet@y...> [2005-11-04 22:00]:
      > > I have been following the (excellent!) document
      > > faq-20040621-1.txt section 5.1. I want to have the touchpad
      > > and an external USB mouse working together. I have mandriva
      > > 2006, and I have modified xorg.conf, assuming the
      > > instructions would be the same. In the document, thought, it
      > > mentions to create a symbolic link between /dev/input/mice
      > > and /dev/pointer, but I do not have a /dev/pointer file.
      >
      > /dev/pointer is symbolic link to /dev/input/mice
      > It means that /dev/pointer doesn't exist - you have to create
      > it. Do this:
      >
      > ln -sf /dev/input/mice /dev/pointer
      >
      > and you are set
      >
      > Robert

      Robert! Thanks very much for the advice! I have got these lines in
      the xorg.conf, and I did not need to create the symbolic link.
      Nevertheless, I am not sure if playing with the configuration any
      symbolic link has been created (nevertheless, I do not have
      any /dev/pointer file). Is it possible to know the sybolic links
      that point to a particular file?

      These are the rellevant sections in the xorg.conf file:

      Section "InputDevice"
      Identifier "Mouse1"
      Driver "mouse"
      Option "Protocol" "ExplorerPS/2"
      Option "Device" "/dev/mouse"
      Option "ZAxisMapping" "6 7"
      EndSection

      Section "InputDevice"
      Identifier "SynapticsMouse1"
      Driver "synaptics"
      Option "Protocol" "auto-dev"
      Option "Device" "/dev/input/mice"
      Option "EdgeMotionMinSpeed" "200"
      Option "MinSpeed" "0.8"
      Option "MaxSpeed" "1.00"
      Option "BottomEdge" "650"
      Option "EdgeMotionMaxSpeed" "200"
      Option "UpDownScrolling" "0"
      Option "CircScrollTrigger" "2"
      Option "SHMConfig" "on"
      Option "EmulateMidButtonTime" "75"
      Option "CircScrollDelta" "0.1"
      Option "LeftEdge" "120"
      Option "FingerLow" "14"
      Option "HorizScrollDelta" "20"
      Option "MaxTapMove" "110"
      Option "MaxTapTime" "180"
      Option "FingerHigh" "15"
      Option "VertScrollDelta" "20"
      Option "CircularScrolling" "1"
      Option "AccelFactor" "0.015"
      Option "RightEdge" "830"
      Option "TopEdge" "120"
      EndSection

      Section "ServerLayout"
      Identifier "layout1"
      InputDevice "Keyboard1" "CoreKeyboard"
      InputDevice "Mouse1" "CorePointer"
      InputDevice "SynapticsMouse1" "AlwaysCore"
      Screen "screen1"
      EndSection
    • Robert Svoboda
      Message 2 of 9 , Nov 7, 2005
        * Joan Pujol <mimosinnet@...> [2005-11-07 17:50]:
        > Robert! Thanks very much for the advice! I have got these
        > lines in the xorg.conf, and I did not need to create the
        > symbolic link.

        So your mouse already works?

        > Nevertheless, I am not sure if playing with
        > the configuration any symbolic link has been created
        > (nevertheless, I do not have any /dev/pointer file).

        Yes, you don't have such file - you have to create a symbolic link
        which is called /dev/pointer. It doesn't exist yet but it will
        as soon as you create that link. But if your mouse works this
        is not relevant anymore.

        > Is it possible to know the sybolic links that point to a
        > particular file?

        yes, you can run something like this:

        find /dir -type l -exec ls -l {} \; | grep "your_particular_file_name"

        so for example to find all links which point to the ntp.conf
        file and are under /etc the command would be:

        find /etc -type l -exec ls -l {} \; | grep "ntp.conf"

        Robert
      • Alexander Toresson
        Message 3 of 9 , Nov 7, 2005
          On 11/7/05, Robert Svoboda <r080@...> wrote:
          > * Joan Pujol <mimosinnet@...> [2005-11-07 17:50]:
          > > Robert! Thanks very much for the advice! I have got these
          > > lines in the xorg.conf, and I did not need to create the
          > > symbolic link.
          >
          > So your mouse already works?
          >
          > > Nevertheless, I am not sure if playing with
          > > the configuration any symbolic link has been created
          > > (nevertheless, I do not have any /dev/pointer file).
          >
          > Yes, you don't have such file - you have to create a symbolic link
          > which is called /dev/pointer. It doesn't exist yet but it will
          > as soon as you create that link. But if your mouse works this
          > is not relevant anymore.
          >
          > > Is it possible to know the sybolic links that point to a
          > > particular file?
          >
          > yes, you can run something like this:
          >
          > find /dir -type l -exec ls -l {} \; | grep "your_particular_file_name"
          >
          > so for example to find all links which point to the ntp.conf
          > file and are under /etc the command would be:
          >
          > find /etc -type l -exec ls -l {} \; | grep "ntp.conf"
          >
          > Robert

          Why not just use /dev/input/mice directly instead? Creating a symlink
          to it seems redundant imho.

          Regards, Alexander Toresson