Re: [linux-dell-laptops] USB mouse

  • Robert Svoboda
    Message 1 of 9 , Nov 7, 2005
      * Joan Pujol <mimosinnet@...> [2005-11-04 22:00]:
      > I have been following the (excellent!) document
      > faq-20040621-1.txt section 5.1. I want to have the touchpad
      > and an external USB mouse working together. I have mandriva
      > 2006, and I have modified xorg.conf, assuming the
      > instructions would be the same. In the document, thought, it
      > mentions to create a symbolic link between /dev/input/mice
      > and /dev/pointer, but I do not have a /dev/pointer file.

      /dev/pointer is symbolic link to /dev/input/mice
      It means that /dev/pointer doesn't exist - you have to create
      it. Do this:

      ln -sf /dev/input/mice /dev/pointer

      and you are set

      Robert
    • Joan Pujol
      Message 2 of 9 , Nov 7, 2005
        --- In linux-dell-laptops@yahoogroups.com, Robert Svoboda
        <r080@a...> wrote:

        > * Joan Pujol <mimosinnet@y...> [2005-11-04 22:00]:
        > > I have been following the (excellent!) document
        > > faq-20040621-1.txt section 5.1. I want to have the touchpad
        > > and an external USB mouse working together. I have mandriva
        > > 2006, and I have modified xorg.conf, assuming the
        > > instructions would be the same. In the document, thought, it
        > > mentions to create a symbolic link between /dev/input/mice
        > > and /dev/pointer, but I do not have a /dev/pointer file.
        >
        > /dev/pointer is symbolic link to /dev/input/mice
        > It means that /dev/pointer doesn't exist - you have to create
        > it. Do this:
        >
        > ln -sf /dev/input/mice /dev/pointer
        >
        > and you are set
        >
        > Robert

        Robert! Thanks very much for the advice! I have got these lines in
        the xorg.conf, and I did not need to create the symbolic link.
        Nevertheless, I am not sure if playing with the configuration any
        symbolic link has been created (nevertheless, I do not have
        any /dev/pointer file). Is it possible to know the sybolic links
        that point to a particular file?

        These are the rellevant sections in the xorg.conf file:

        Section "InputDevice"
        Identifier "Mouse1"
        Driver "mouse"
        Option "Protocol" "ExplorerPS/2"
        Option "Device" "/dev/mouse"
        Option "ZAxisMapping" "6 7"
        EndSection

        Section "InputDevice"
        Identifier "SynapticsMouse1"
        Driver "synaptics"
        Option "Protocol" "auto-dev"
        Option "Device" "/dev/input/mice"
        Option "EdgeMotionMinSpeed" "200"
        Option "MinSpeed" "0.8"
        Option "MaxSpeed" "1.00"
        Option "BottomEdge" "650"
        Option "EdgeMotionMaxSpeed" "200"
        Option "UpDownScrolling" "0"
        Option "CircScrollTrigger" "2"
        Option "SHMConfig" "on"
        Option "EmulateMidButtonTime" "75"
        Option "CircScrollDelta" "0.1"
        Option "LeftEdge" "120"
        Option "FingerLow" "14"
        Option "HorizScrollDelta" "20"
        Option "MaxTapMove" "110"
        Option "MaxTapTime" "180"
        Option "FingerHigh" "15"
        Option "VertScrollDelta" "20"
        Option "CircularScrolling" "1"
        Option "AccelFactor" "0.015"
        Option "RightEdge" "830"
        Option "TopEdge" "120"
        EndSection

        Section "ServerLayout"
        Identifier "layout1"
        InputDevice "Keyboard1" "CoreKeyboard"
        InputDevice "Mouse1" "CorePointer"
        InputDevice "SynapticsMouse1" "AlwaysCore"
        Screen "screen1"
        EndSection
      • Robert Svoboda
        Message 3 of 9 , Nov 7, 2005
          * Joan Pujol <mimosinnet@...> [2005-11-07 17:50]:
          > Robert! Thanks very much for the advice! I have got these
          > lines in the xorg.conf, and I did not need to create the
          > symbolic link.

          So your mouse already works?

          > Nevertheless, I am not sure if playing with
          > the configuration any symbolic link has been created
          > (nevertheless, I do not have any /dev/pointer file).

          Yes, you don't have such file - you have to create a symbolic link
          which is called /dev/pointer. It doesn't exist yet but it will
          as soon as you create that link. But if your mouse works this
          is not relevant anymore.

          > Is it possible to know the sybolic links that point to a
          > particular file?

          yes, you can run something like this:

          find /dir -type l -exec ls -l {} \; | grep "your_particular_file_name"

          so for example to find all links which point to the ntp.conf
          file and are under /etc the command would be:

          find /etc -type l -exec ls -l {} \; | grep "ntp.conf"

          Robert
        • Alexander Toresson
          Message 4 of 9 , Nov 7, 2005
            On 11/7/05, Robert Svoboda <r080@...> wrote:
            > * Joan Pujol <mimosinnet@...> [2005-11-07 17:50]:
            > > Robert! Thanks very much for the advice! I have got these
            > > lines in the xorg.conf, and I did not need to create the
            > > symbolic link.
            >
            > So your mouse already works?
            >
            > > Nevertheless, I am not sure if playing with
            > > the configuration any symbolic link has been created
            > > (nevertheless, I do not have any /dev/pointer file).
            >
            > Yes, you don't have such file - you have to create a symbolic link
            > which is called /dev/pointer. It doesn't exist yet but it will
            > as soon as you create that link. But if your mouse works this
            > is not relevant anymore.
            >
            > > Is it possible to know the sybolic links that point to a
            > > particular file?
            >
            > yes, you can run something like this:
            >
            > find /dir -type l -exec ls -l {} \; | grep "your_particular_file_name"
            >
            > so for example to find all links which point to the ntp.conf
            > file and are under /etc the command would be:
            >
            > find /etc -type l -exec ls -l {} \; | grep "ntp.conf"
            >
            > Robert

            Why not just use /dev/input/mice directly instead? Creating a symlink
            to it seems redundant imho.

            Regards, Alexander Toresson