[linux-dell-laptops] Linux on XPi P133ST

  • Hugh Eland
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 1, 2000

      I have bought a second hand Latitude XPI P133ST, without any software,
      but am hoping to run Linux on it. Is is possible to use the normal
      distributions to enable the PCMCIA card slots on the machine? If not,
      how do I enable them?

      Many Thanks

      Hugh
    • Neil
      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 2, 2000
        On Sat, 01 Jan 2000 07:08:34 -0800, you wrote:

        >I have bought a second hand Latitude XPI P133ST, without any software,
        >but am hoping to run Linux on it. Is is possible to use the normal
        >distributions to enable the PCMCIA card slots on the machine? If not,
        >how do I enable them?

        Most linux distributions come with PCMCIA support, or you can download rpms or
        whatever with ouot much problem. Best thing to do is to find a copy the latest
        PCMCIA howto which will list all cards supported and give you instructions.

        Neil
      • Hugh Eland
        Message 3 of 6 , Jan 2, 2000
          Hi Neil,

          Sorry - I didn't give a clear enough explaination in my origional message.
          The XPI P133ST I have has been completely wiped, and the PCMCIA slots
          disabled - i.e. they don't have any power or anything. Apparently there are
          routines from Dell and others in DOS and windows to enable the slots - but
          installing windows run n floppies is tedious. Is there any way to turn the
          slots on so I can then use the PCMCIA modules?

          Hugh

          >On Sat, 01 Jan 2000 07:08:34 -0800, you wrote:
          >

          >>I have bought a second hand Latitude XPI P133ST, without any software,
          >>but am hoping to run Linux on it. Is is possible to use the normal
          >>distributions to enable the PCMCIA card slots on the machine? If not,
          >>how do I enable them?
          >
          >Most linux distributions come with PCMCIA support, or you can download
          rpms or
          >whatever with ouot much problem. Best thing to do is to find a copy the
          latest
          >PCMCIA howto which will list all cards supported and give you instructions.
          >
          >Neil

          >Want to send money instantly to anyone, anywhere, anytime?
          >You can today at X.com - and we'll give you $20 to try it! Sign
          >up today at X.com. It's quick, free, & there's no obligation!
          >http://click.egroups.com/1/332/3/_/4243/_/946853701
          >
          >-- Create a poll/survey for your group!
          >-- http://www.egroups.com/vote?listname=linux-dell-laptops&m=1

        • Neil
          Message 4 of 6 , Jan 3, 2000
            On Mon, 3 Jan 2000 00:13:56 -0000, you wrote:

            > Sorry - I didn't give a clear enough explaination in my origional message.
            >The XPI P133ST I have has been completely wiped, and the PCMCIA slots
            >disabled - i.e. they don't have any power or anything. Apparently there are
            >routines from Dell and others in DOS and windows to enable the slots - but
            >installing windows run n floppies is tedious. Is there any way to turn the
            >slots on so I can then use the PCMCIA modules?

            I know dell have a decent card manager type program you can get from their
            website but which helps installation of PCMCIA. Are you saying they might be
            disabled at BIOS level ?

            But why install windows if you want to use linux ? I don't quite get it. Or am I
            missing something ?

            Neil
          • Hugh Eland
            Message 5 of 6 , Jan 3, 2000
              Hi Neil,

              A bit more experimentation has produced results - The CDROM drive I am using
              suddenly sprung into life when powered externally - it says clearly that is
              can be powered from the PCMCIA.........

              I think this is now a hardware issue - sorry about any confusion and many
              many thanks for your help.

              Hugh

            • emullen@heartland.net
              Message 6 of 6 , May 28, 2000
                --- In linux-dell-laptops@egroups.com, Neil <neil@t...> wrote:
                > On Sat, 01 Jan 2000 07:08:34 -0800, you wrote:
                >

                > >I have bought a second hand Latitude XPI P133ST, without any
                software,
                > >but am hoping to run Linux on it. Is is possible to use the normal
                > >distributions to enable the PCMCIA card slots on the machine? If
                not,
                > >how do I enable them?
                >
                > Most linux distributions come with PCMCIA support, or you can
                download rpms or
                > whatever with ouot much problem. Best thing to do is to find a copy
                the latest
                > PCMCIA howto which will list all cards supported and give you
                instructions.

                > Neil

                Hello , I have the same machine , have intalled Win98se, have also
                setup a Linux partition and a boot manager.
                Have been tyring to install Mandrake-Linux 7.0 , how do you get the
                installaion boot-up to see your PCMCIA cd-rom?
                I'm using a Citirom PCMCIA eide card connected to a Delta 48x ide cd-
                rom.
                Thanks , Erik