Re: USB not working after resume & black screen

  • Gareth
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 21, 2005
      --- In linux-dell-laptops@yahoogroups.com, Peter Dobrev <p3sho@y...>
      wrote:

      > Yes, but DPMS is for switching off the screen when
      > suspending, and when I close the lid, it does not
      > suspend.

      The poblem seems to be switching the monitor back on after DPMS has
      switched it off. Re. the mouse freezing, I found that this happened
      when switcing into 'sleep' state, however things worked OK if only
      using 'standby' power down as long as the DPMS line was comnmented
      out. Using standby mode on kUbuntu worked fine out of the box (no
      need to configure anything other than the standby preference for power
      down).

      How 'acpi' works! This is not straightforward to explain but here
      goes. 'acpi' is configured with files in the /etc/acpi/events each of
      which has an 'event' and 'action' entry. The event specifies the key
      that is associated with the action, which is generally a script in
      the directory higher (e.g. suspend button runs sleep.sh, which at the
      end calls resume.sh).

      Maybe the problem is (off the top of my head) that the default Ubuntu
      acpi install only has a sleep mode that uses 'S3' state which (I'm
      guessing here) the Dell C600 which I use does not support - supporting
      only S1 and S2D) - which means a new acpi script needs writing and
      event file configuring.

      Check your BIOS settings, I found I could get the Fn + Suspend key
      combination to work as long as power management was at least to some
      extent enabled in the BIOS.