Re: [linux-dell-laptops] Live CD's

  • Alan Pope
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 19, 2005
      On 19/10/05, Sweeney <mhsween@...> wrote:
      > Hi there,
      >
      > I'm still somewhat new to Linux and am REALLY wanting to make the
      > switch from winbloze, but it has to work for my wife who's, well,
      > technically challenged.

      My wife is a "non-techy" and she's been on Linux - first Debian - now
      Ubuntu - for about a couple of years now. She gets on okay with it. A
      few niggles are apparent here and there, but her usage pattern is
      email (thunderbird), web (firefox) and messenger (gaim) mostly. So
      it's no big deal really, all of that just works.

      > I've downloaded several live CD's like Ubuntu, Featherweight Linux,
      > Gnoppix, and Slax. It's been fun tinkering with them. They all work ok
      > on my old I8k (PIII, 850mhz, 256mb ram, 10G) except for one thing that

      256MB might be a bit tight if you go for Ubuntu + Gnome. I ran it for
      a while and it's okay once it's up and running, but you do feel the
      sluggishness if you open a few apps - openoffice especially. Using a
      more lightweight window manager (i.e. not Gnome or KDE) will help, as
      will more RAM (which of course will cost money - I have 512MB laptop
      RAM for sale actually - mail me privately if you're interested :D )..
      Aaanyway.

      > really bugs me. I've checked the FAQs but can't figure out why KDE
      > always has my Win HD readily visible/accessible, and Gnome seems to

      It's not a KDE vs. Gnome thing it's a Knoppix vs Ubuntu thing. There
      is nothing to stop the Ubuntu people making it auto mount partitions,
      they just haven't. Whereas Knoppix does because it makes sense to do
      so. Knoppix is designed to be a fully-fledged linux distro on a cd.
      Ubuntu Live CD is more of a demo - "see what it can do" kind of thing.

      There's nothing stopping you manually mounting the disks in
      Ubuntu/Gnome at all. For example your first laptop hard disk would
      probably be a device called "/dev/hda" and your windows partition
      would probably be number one, so "/dev/hda1" would likely be it. You
      can use the mount command to mount that device/partition on a
      directory somewhere. In ubuntu that might go something like this:

      $ mkdir ~/c_drive
      $ sudo mount /dev/hda1 ~/c_drive

      They you can use nautilus (the file manager thingy) to mooch about in
      the c_drive folder in your home directory. Not that painful really.

      There's other ways to do it, that's just one.

      Note that if you made some space on a disk and installed Linux
      "properly" rather than ran it from a CD you'd likely find that it
      would automount anyway. I have a friend who recently installed Linux
      on a chunk of space on his laptop hard disk. In Ubuntu/Gnome he has a
      little shortcut on his desktop to a partition he made.

      Good luck with your adventures in Linux. You didn't say where you are
      in the world, but it's useful to lookup LUG (Linux User Groups) in
      your area. They can often help show you stuff which you might find
      difficult to explain over email.

      Cheers,
      Al.