Re: [linux-dell-laptops] CPU temperature

  • Pawel Drapala
    Message 1 of 7 , Oct 19, 2005
      Hi,

      Typically, the CPU speed throttling is built into the
      kernel and should work fine. A lot of times the
      notebook temperature is high because the hard drive is
      not in spin down mode. Do you have Laptop Mode Tools
      installed?

      You can also check the hard drive temperature by using
      a great tool called hddtemp:

      apt-get install hddtemp
      hddtemp /dev/hda

      good luck.

      --- uteck <theuteck@...> wrote:

      > If you install cpufreq and libsensors (and configure
      > the modules it
      > needs), it should be able to slow your cpu down when
      > full power is not
      > needed. My D600 hardly uses the fan at all in the
      > cpu is under 1GH,
      > but will jump to it's full 1400MHz when needed in an
      > instant.
      >
      > On 10/19/05, roberto <robcatanuto@...> wrote:
      > > hello, i need to know if the temperature of my CPU
      > in D600 laptop is in a correct range, since i
      > > can hear the fan almost constantly up and running
      > very fast; temp keeps at 53-56 C is it ok?
      > > does anyone holding a D600 with 2.6.8 kernel have
      > the same working temperatures? and how can i
      > > know if my CPU gets to hot or it is ok?
      > >
      > > CPU: Intel Centrino 2.00 GHz
      > > kernel: 2.6.8
      > > OS: Debian Sarge
      > >
      > > bye
      > >
      > > Roberto
      > > Debian Sarge
      > > kernel 2.6.8
      > >

      > > ___________________________________
      > > Yahoo! Mail: gratis 1GB per i messaggi e allegati
      > da 10MB
      > > http://mail.yahoo.it

      > no .sig found
      > Please restart your browser.

      __________________________________
      http://mail.yahoo.com
    • Alexander Toresson
      Message 2 of 7 , Oct 20, 2005
        On 10/19/05, Haedn Thorn <lordhaedn@...> wrote:

        > --- roberto <robcatanuto@...> wrote:
        >
        > > hello, i need to know if the temperature of my CPU in D600 laptop is in a
        > > correct range, since i
        > > can hear the fan almost constantly up and running very fast; temp keeps at
        > > 53-56 C is it ok?
        > > does anyone holding a D600 with 2.6.8 kernel have the same working
        > > temperatures? and how can i
        > > know if my CPU gets to hot or it is ok?
        > >
        > > CPU: Intel Centrino 2.00 GHz
        > > kernel: 2.6.8
        > > OS: Debian Sarge
        >
        > My PentiumM 1.60GHz is usually in the 48-54 C range, unless I'm playing a game
        > with 3-D. When the system gets too hot, it should drop the operating frequency
        > to its minimum. I belive this is internal to the processor and should happen
        > regaurdless of your OS and configuration.

        Wrong. You need to have the acpi-cpufreq module loaded
        (speedstep-centrino for older 2.6 kernels) and a cpufreq-* module
        loaded. In my case, I have the cpufreq-userspace module loaded and let
        the powernowd daemon control it in userspace, and this works great.
        This enabled me to turn it on and off whenever I want, and also set it
        to a frequency myself. Also, depending on what type of Pentium M
        you've got (banias, dothan, sonoma, 400 or 533mhz fsb) you may need to
        have a recenty kernel (2.6.11+) for it to work well.

        To check if speedstep is working, let the laptop be idle and do cat
        /proc/cpuinfo. If it returns a frequency that is significantly lower
        than the max frequency, it's working.

        Regards, Alexander Toresspm
      • Gareth
        Message 3 of 7 , Oct 20, 2005
          A C600 with Ubuntu Breezy did the same, in the end I disabled
          speedstep in the BIOS to 'shut it up'.

          Having said that I was using Kubuntu (Hoary) a while ago which was
          configured out of the box to switch into standby - working fine
          otherwise as well.