Re: [linux-dell-laptops] CPU temperature

  • Herman
    Message 1 of 7 , Oct 19, 2005
      roberto wrote:
      > hello, i need to know if the temperature of my CPU in D600 laptop is in a correct range, since i
      > can hear the fan almost constantly up and running very fast; temp keeps at 53-56 C is it ok?
      > does anyone holding a D600 with 2.6.8 kernel have the same working temperatures? and how can i
      > know if my CPU gets to hot or it is ok?

      If it is below 85C then it is fine.
      $ acpi -t
      Battery 1: charged, 134%
      Thermal 1: ok, 61.0 degrees C

      Cheers,
    • Haedn Thorn
      Message 2 of 7 , Oct 19, 2005
        --- roberto <robcatanuto@...> wrote:

        > hello, i need to know if the temperature of my CPU in D600 laptop is in a
        > correct range, since i
        > can hear the fan almost constantly up and running very fast; temp keeps at
        > 53-56 C is it ok?
        > does anyone holding a D600 with 2.6.8 kernel have the same working
        > temperatures? and how can i
        > know if my CPU gets to hot or it is ok?
        >
        > CPU: Intel Centrino 2.00 GHz
        > kernel: 2.6.8
        > OS: Debian Sarge

        My PentiumM 1.60GHz is usually in the 48-54 C range, unless I'm playing a game
        with 3-D. When the system gets too hot, it should drop the operating frequency
        to its minimum. I belive this is internal to the processor and should happen
        regaurdless of your OS and configuration.
      • uteck
        Message 3 of 7 , Oct 19, 2005
          If you install cpufreq and libsensors (and configure the modules it
          needs), it should be able to slow your cpu down when full power is not
          needed. My D600 hardly uses the fan at all when the cpu is under 1GH,
          but will jump to it's full 1400MHz when needed in an instant.

          On 10/19/05, roberto <robcatanuto@...> wrote:
          > hello, i need to know if the temperature of my CPU in D600 laptop is in a correct range, since i
          > can hear the fan almost constantly up and running very fast; temp keeps at 53-56 C is it ok?
          > does anyone holding a D600 with 2.6.8 kernel have the same working temperatures? and how can i
          > know if my CPU gets to hot or it is ok?
          >
          > CPU: Intel Centrino 2.00 GHz
          > kernel: 2.6.8
          > OS: Debian Sarge
          >
          > bye
          >
          > Roberto
          > Debian Sarge
          > kernel 2.6.8

          no .sig found
          Please restart your browser.
        • Pawel Drapala
          Message 4 of 7 , Oct 19, 2005

            Typically, the CPU speed throttling is built into the
            kernel and should work fine. A lot of times the
            notebook temperature is high because the hard drive is
            not in spin down mode. Do you have Laptop Mode Tools
            installed?

            You can also check the hard drive temperature by using
            a great tool called hddtemp:

            apt-get install hddtemp
            hddtemp /dev/hda

            good luck.

            --- uteck <theuteck@...> wrote:

            > If you install cpufreq and libsensors (and configure
            > the modules it
            > needs), it should be able to slow your cpu down when
            > full power is not
            > needed. My D600 hardly uses the fan at all in the
            > cpu is under 1GH,
            > but will jump to it's full 1400MHz when needed in an
            > instant.
            >
            > On 10/19/05, roberto <robcatanuto@...> wrote:
            > > hello, i need to know if the temperature of my CPU
            > in D600 laptop is in a correct range, since i
            > > can hear the fan almost constantly up and running
            > very fast; temp keeps at 53-56 C is it ok?
            > > does anyone holding a D600 with 2.6.8 kernel have
            > the same working temperatures? and how can i
            > > know if my CPU gets to hot or it is ok?
            > >
            > > CPU: Intel Centrino 2.00 GHz
            > > kernel: 2.6.8
            > > OS: Debian Sarge
            > >
            > > bye
            > >
            > > Roberto
            > > Debian Sarge
            > > kernel 2.6.8
            > >

            > > ___________________________________
            > > Yahoo! Mail: gratis 1GB per i messaggi e allegati
            > da 10MB
            > > http://mail.yahoo.it

            > no .sig found
            > Please restart your browser.

            __________________________________
            http://mail.yahoo.com
          • Alexander Toresson
            Message 5 of 7 , Oct 20, 2005
              On 10/19/05, Haedn Thorn <lordhaedn@...> wrote:

              > --- roberto <robcatanuto@...> wrote:
              >
              > > hello, i need to know if the temperature of my CPU in D600 laptop is in a
              > > correct range, since i
              > > can hear the fan almost constantly up and running very fast; temp keeps at
              > > 53-56 C is it ok?
              > > does anyone holding a D600 with 2.6.8 kernel have the same working
              > > temperatures? and how can i
              > > know if my CPU gets to hot or it is ok?
              > >
              > > CPU: Intel Centrino 2.00 GHz
              > > kernel: 2.6.8
              > > OS: Debian Sarge
              >
              > My PentiumM 1.60GHz is usually in the 48-54 C range, unless I'm playing a game
              > with 3-D. When the system gets too hot, it should drop the operating frequency
              > to its minimum. I belive this is internal to the processor and should happen
              > regaurdless of your OS and configuration.

              Wrong. You need to have the acpi-cpufreq module loaded
              (speedstep-centrino for older 2.6 kernels) and a cpufreq-* module
              loaded. In my case, I have the cpufreq-userspace module loaded and let
              the powernowd daemon control it in userspace, and this works great.
              This enabled me to turn it on and off whenever I want, and also set it
              to a frequency myself. Also, depending on what type of Pentium M
              you've got (banias, dothan, sonoma, 400 or 533mhz fsb) you may need to
              have a recenty kernel (2.6.11+) for it to work well.

              To check if speedstep is working, let the laptop be idle and do cat
              /proc/cpuinfo. If it returns a frequency that is significantly lower
              than the max frequency, it's working.

              Regards, Alexander Toresspm
            • Gareth
              Message 6 of 7 , Oct 20, 2005
                A C600 with Ubuntu Breezy did the same, in the end I disabled
                speedstep in the BIOS to 'shut it up'.

                Having said that I was using Kubuntu (Hoary) a while ago which was
                configured out of the box to switch into standby - working fine
                otherwise as well.