Re: dell

  • dgholmes59
    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 17, 2005
      > In between, I might
      > theoretically use wireless to check email and such in an airport,
      but in
      > practice, with flight delays, customs, and all that, I've only once
      or
      > twice had time to try. Other than that, I might use wireless once or
      > twice a year, at a conference or such.

      I have taken mine to Germany a time or two recently, the wireless is
      great if the Hotels have it. Chatted with my wife at home. However,
      many do not. Europe is definately not the U.S. All of them require
      some sort of subscription of course, and they are not cheap. My
      company wouldnt pay it. If you plan to use it in the airports, you
      will also need a subscription which is usually different than the
      hotels. I was actually in the airport in Frankfurt with hotspots that
      were the same subscription as the hotel and it didnt work. I dont
      understand that.

      You also usually cannot use the wireless in other company's
      facilities. You must use the wired lan with VPN. I dont take mine
      anymore. Just too much of a hastle.

      > I also use the laptop as my main machine at home (with keyboard &
      dual
      > display): it has low power consumption, built-in UPS, and no damned
      fans
      > that sound like a vacuum cleaner. What more could I want :-)

      Me too. I use my wireless at home so I can sit on my recliner and
      work on the computer in freedom. Just have the power cord plugged
      in. I have a fan, but it only comes on for a short time when I am
      compiling code.
    • simon bailor
      Message 2 of 6 , Oct 18, 2005
        thanks for writing back but already have a computer just bought it so thanks anyway.

        dgholmes59 <dgholmes59@...> wrote:
        I use a Dell Latitude, 400 mhz, 256 mb memory, 20 gb harddrive, 1 usb,
        2 pcmcia slots.  I would recommend that you have at least 256 mb of
        ram to run x-windows.  I don't necessarily say you need a wifi, but
        what is the use of having a laptop if you can't be wireless, huh?

        I have tried most of the popular linux distributions (mandriva,
        fedora, ubuntu, slackware, etc.) and Suse 9.2 has been the most
        compatible with my laptop and the easiest to setup.  I have tried 9.3
        and 10, but I really need more power to run these, so I stuck with
        9.2.  Suse is similar to Windows 2000 or XP, so it makes it very easy
        for most computer users.  It has a gui setup application called YAST
        that can setup most everything without editing files on the command
        line.

        You can access the internet with a lan card or wireless.  Lan is no
        problem, but wireless is a problem with linux.  If you get a wireless
        card that is COMPATIBLE with linux, there is no problem getting it
        setup.  If you buy a cheap one like I did, netgear ma521, a program
        called "ndiswrapper" must be used.  This program wraps the Windows
        driver so it can be used with linux.  This can be difficult at first,
        but there are many articles on setting it up.

        For surfing the internet, very little hardware is required.  I started
        with a Compaq laptop with less power than this Dell.  It worked, but
        it was just too slow and did not have enough ram (128 mb).  I
        recommend that you buy at least what I am running now or better.  If
        you can, go with better.

        Darrell

        --- In linux-dell-laptops@yahoogroups.com, "ray saur"