Re: [linux-dell-laptops] Dell Linux Carputer OS

  • Haedn Thorn
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 29, 2005
      --- Russell <virginiawifinder@...> wrote:

      > Hey All,
      > I'm in the process of putting my carputer together. I'm convinced I
      > want to use a light distro of linux but I want it to make full use of
      > ACPI (I think that is what it is called...hibernate and stand by
      > features..) I was thinkering with Puppy and it does most all of what
      > I want except for automatically going to hibernate 5 mins after the
      > power is removed.
      >
      > So I guess my question is do you guys have any suggestions of an OS
      > that makes full use of these features.
      >
      > Thanks for your time. I'll have to post pictures when it is done.

      There are a few projects like this on the web already ... You might borrow from
      their experience...

      http://www.dashpc.com is one that I have frequented most ... I think there is
      another called carputer (as you seem to have re-coined) ... Google would
      probably also be helpful.

      For a no-nonsense distro, I like Slackware. It only installs what you tell it
      to, and only loads what you want it to, but you can still set up a full X-based
      system with all the eye-candy in less time than it takes to get Windows
      installed :)