Activate Wifi

  • Armando Roque
    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 29, 2005

      I used Latitude D510 with OSS10 RC1 and wifi don't work, I press Fn+F2,
      but icon wifi is disabled. BIOS is configured Fn+F2 and On to start system.
      /var/log/messages report:
      Sep 29 15:07:53 nbti kernel: atkbd.c: Unknown key pressed (translated
      set 2, code 0x88 on isa0060/serio0).
      Sep 29 15:07:53 nbti kernel: atkbd.c: Use 'setkeycodes e008 <keycode>'
      to make it known.

      Hardware (lspci)
      02:03.0 Network controller: Broadcom Corporation BCM4318 [AirForce One
      54g] 802.11g Wireless LAN Controller (rev 02)

      Any idea?

      Regards,

      Armando
    • Herman
      Message 2 of 6 , Sep 29, 2005
        Armando Roque wrote:
        > Hi,
        >
        > I used Latitude D510 with OSS10 RC1 and wifi don't work, I press Fn+F2,
        > but icon wifi is disabled. BIOS is configured Fn+F2 and On to start system.
        > /var/log/messages report:
        > Sep 29 15:07:53 nbti kernel: atkbd.c: Unknown key pressed (translated
        > set 2, code 0x88 on isa0060/serio0).
        > Sep 29 15:07:53 nbti kernel: atkbd.c: Use 'setkeycodes e008 <keycode>'
        > to make it known.
        >
        > Hardware (lspci)
        > 02:03.0 Network controller: Broadcom Corporation BCM4318 [AirForce One
        > 54g] 802.11g Wireless LAN Controller (rev 02)
        >
        > Any idea?

        It is a bit confusing - on some machines, the Fn-F2 activates a hardware
        switch and on others, it is a soft switch. Depending on the WiFi
        driver, the keys will work or not...

        The bottom line is that if your card doesn't work at all, then the
        driver is bad and you have to try either a different Linux driver, if
        you are so lucky, or use a Windows driver with ndiswrapper.

        Here is a guide with some info:
        http://www.aerospacesoftware.com/notebook-howto.html

        'Hope this helps!

        Cheers,

        H.
      • Alexander Toresson
        Message 3 of 6 , Sep 29, 2005
          There is no native driver for that wifi card. I'm afraid you need to
          use ndiswrapper.

          Regards, Alexander Toresson

          On 9/29/05, Armando Roque <armando@...> wrote:
          > Hi,
          >
          > I used Latitude D510 with OSS10 RC1 and wifi don't work, I press Fn+F2,
          > but icon wifi is disabled. BIOS is configured Fn+F2 and On to start system.
          > /var/log/messages report:
          > Sep 29 15:07:53 nbti kernel: atkbd.c: Unknown key pressed (translated
          > set 2, code 0x88 on isa0060/serio0).
          > Sep 29 15:07:53 nbti kernel: atkbd.c: Use 'setkeycodes e008 <keycode>'
          > to make it known.
          >
          > Hardware (lspci)
          > 02:03.0 Network controller: Broadcom Corporation BCM4318 [AirForce One
          > 54g] 802.11g Wireless LAN Controller (rev 02)
          >
          > Any idea?
          >
          > Regards,
          >
          > Armando

        • Armando Roque
          Message 4 of 6 , Sep 29, 2005
            Herman wrote:
            Armando Roque wrote:

            Hi,

[...]

            Really, it's a soft switch and activate on Windows with Fn+F2.
            My problem is active on Linux...
            I config ndiswrapper but don't work because soft switch.

            Regards
            --

            Armando Roque Ferreira Pinto

            Engenheiro de software
            Grupo SELCO
            Fax +55 (65) 3027 9090 - Voz 3027 9016

            http://www.selconet.com.br
          • Stephen Lau
            Message 5 of 6 , Sep 29, 2005
              Armando Roque wrote:

              > Herman wrote:
              >
              >>Armando Roque wrote:
              >>

              >>>Hi,
              >>>
              >>>I used Latitude D510 with OSS10 RC1 and wifi don't work, I press Fn+F2,
              >>>but icon wifi is disabled. BIOS is configured Fn+F2 and On to start system.
              >>>/var/log/messages report:
              >>>Sep 29 15:07:53 nbti kernel: atkbd.c: Unknown key pressed (translated
              >>>set 2, code 0x88 on isa0060/serio0).
              >>>Sep 29 15:07:53 nbti kernel: atkbd.c: Use 'setkeycodes e008 <keycode>'
              >>>to make it known.
              >>>
              >>>Hardware (lspci)
              >>>02:03.0 Network controller: Broadcom Corporation BCM4318 [AirForce One
              >>>54g] 802.11g Wireless LAN Controller (rev 02)
              >>>
              >>>Any idea?
              >>>

              >>It is a bit confusing - on some machines, the Fn-F2 activates a hardware
              >>switch and on others, it is a soft switch. Depending on the WiFi
              >>driver, the keys will work or not...
              >>
              >>The bottom line is that if your card doesn't work at all, then the
              >>driver is bad and you have to try either a different Linux driver, if
              >>you are so lucky, or use a Windows driver with ndiswrapper.
              >>
              >>Here is a guide with some info:
              >>http://www.aerospacesoftware.com/notebook-howto.html
              >>
              >>'Hope this helps!
              >>
              >>Cheers,
              >>
              >>H.
              >>

              > Really, it's a soft switch and activate on Windows with Fn+F2.
              > My problem is active on Linux...
              > I config ndiswrapper but don't work because soft switch.
              >
              > Regards

              Try looking at rfswitch.sourceforge.net. I don't know if it works with
              ndiswrapper drivers though.

              cheers,
              steve
            • Herman
              Message 6 of 6 , Sep 29, 2005
                >>Really, it's a soft switch and activate on Windows with Fn+F2.
                >>My problem is active on Linux...
                >>I config ndiswrapper but don't work because soft switch.
                >
                > Try looking at rfswitch.sourceforge.net. I don't know if it works with
                > ndiswrapper drivers though.

                I know this sounds confusing, but the switch is usually not the reason
                why it won't work. The driver will turn the radio on - switch or no switch.

                Also, if ndiswrapper from your distribution won't work, get the latest
                version from the project web site and try again, and when all else
                fails, get the commercial version of ndiswrapper as explained in my guide.

                The other solution is to find a list of Linux compatible cards and buy
                one on Ebay - trying to find a compatible card in a main street shop is
                a lost cause...

                Cheers,

                H.