RHEL 3 and Inspiron 9300

  • actinicglow
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 25, 2005
      I'm trying to install RHEL 3.5 on a Dell Inspiron 9300. It fails
      during the install complaining that it can't find a hard drive to
      install to. I have a SATA drive (Intel 82801 FBM controller).

      If I try RHEL 4.1 the installer runs fine. The issue seems to be that
      the version of the ata_piix driver for RHEL 3.5 is unable to detect
      the drive. Has anyone had any success installing RHEL 3 on these
      systems? If so, what did you do to get it going?
    • actinicglow
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 6, 2005
        --- In linux-dell-laptops@yahoogroups.com, "actinicglow"
        <actinicglow@y...> wrote:
        > Has anyone had any success installing RHEL 3 on these
        > systems? If so, what did you do to get it going?

        For anyone else wanting to install RHEL 3 on an Inspiron 9300, the
        solution is to build a custom installation CD with a custom kernel.
        Kernels since 2.4.27 have had libata backported to them from 2.6. I've
        done this and its working well.
      • actinicglow
        Message 3 of 4 , Oct 6, 2005
          <actinicglow@y...> wrote:
          > Has anyone had any success installing RHEL 3 on these
          > systems? If so, what did you do to get it going?

          For anyone else wanting to install RHEL 3 on an Inspiron 9300, the
          solution is to build a custom installation CD with a custom kernel.
          Kernels since 2.4.27 have had libata backported to them from 2.6. I've
          done this and its working well.
        • riversandlakes8
          Message 4 of 4 , Oct 8, 2005
            Has anyone tried rhel4 default 4 CDs with 9300?