Re: [linux-dell-laptops] Re: garbled NVidia display - Dell 8200 Mandriva Linux (NVidia Driver Problem)

  • Gabriel
    Message 1 of 27 , Sep 12, 2005
      I would:

      1st - try the PowerPack as Alexandre suggests in an another post (you may first have to uninstall your NVidia drivers before installing the PowerPack), as Mandriva may well have sorted out these problems for you.

      If that fails then investigate:

      Run the program:
      # nvidia-bug-report.sh
      Which will produce the file:
      nvidia-bug-report.log
      ... for investigative purposes.

      If the above program fails then these files should be of help:
      /var/log/Xorg.0.log
      The X config file (they are so many potential config files, the best is to check the log file above to know _which one_ is used).
      xdpyinfo
      lsmod
      dmesg
      lspci -vv
      lspci -vvn

      Also the NVidia README.txt file is a good read, the file should be in:
      /usr/share/doc/NVIDIA*/README.txt

      If the above don't mean much to you post them and hopefully we may be able to sort it out ....

      Cheers,
      Gabriel.

    • Demosthenes
      Message 2 of 27 , Sep 14, 2005
        Thanks Alex - I just want to make sure that the NVidia driver actually
        works on my machine before I buy the power pack or pay for a club
        membership. I know the nv driver is a software only driver which is
        the problem.

        I downloaded the official driver from the NVidia site although it
        compiled itself against installed kernel headers which appear to match
        my kernel version. The Nvidia .run file complained there was no
        matching 'kernel interface' so had to compile from scratch. I don't
        know if that has anything to do with it. I think some years ago, there
        used to be .rpm files or .rpm source files available - I can't remember.

        For people new to this discussion - I have uploaded images of my
        display problem in the 'pics' directory of this discussion group.

        Does anyone have an .rpm file or something I can install to try that
        instead of the 'self compiling' NVidia driver.

        --- In linux-dell-laptops@yahoogroups.com, Alexandre Tessier
        <Alexandre.Tessier@l...> wrote:
        > The 'nv' driver installed by Mandriva is not the nvidia driver. It is
        > the XFree/Xorg driver for nvidia cards. The nvidia driver is called
        > 'nvidia'. If you want it, you can either download from nvidia
        > (http://www.nvidia.fr/object/linux_fr.html or
        > http://www.nvidia.co.uk/object/unix.html) or you can install Mandriva
        > PowerPack (the powerpack distribution adds ati and nvidia driver to
        the
        > download edition).
        >
        > Alex.
      • Demosthenes
        Message 3 of 27 , Sep 14, 2005
          Thanks..

          The Power Pack is a little expensive in Australian currency I
          believe (can't download?) and part of this is that I need to ensure
          that my graphics hardware is compatible before purchasing.

          I will try the rest as outlined below, I really do appreciate the
          help guys.

          Ian

          wrote:
> [...]
          > > [size=16M]
          > > > Region 1: Memory at e0000000 (32-bit, prefetchable)
          [size=128M]
          > > > Region 2: Memory at dff80000 (32-bit, prefetchable)
          [size=512K]
          > > > Expansion ROM at 80000000 [disabled] [size=128K]
          > > > Capabilities: [60] Power Management version 2
          > > > Flags: PMEClk- DSI- D1- D2- AuxCurrent=0mA
          > > PME(D0-,D1-,D2-,D3hot-,D3cold-)
          > > GART64- HTrans- 64bit- FW+ AGP3- Rate=x1,x2,x4
          > > > Command: RQ=32 ArqSz=0 Cal=0 SBA- AGP+ GART64-
          > > 64bit- FW- Rate=x4

          > > some
          Linux
          > > there.

          Edition

          > > laptop and
          > > presented
          > > right hand
          > > hold on

          Option "ConnectedMonitor" "scrTV, scrLCD"

        • sugaratias
          Message 4 of 27 , Sep 14, 2005
            modprobe nvidia NVreg_SoftEDIDs=0 NVreg_Mobile=0

            It worked for me!
          • Alexandre Tessier
            Message 5 of 27 , Sep 15, 2005
              Here are the 3 rpm found with 'rpm -qa | grep -i nvidia':
              http://www.univ-orleans.fr/SCIENCES/LIFO/Members/tessier/NVIDIA/
              I have put also some examples of xorg.conf files.
              I hope they will work with Mandriva download edition...
              Tell me if you need other rpm.
              Tell me also when you have downloaded the files because I would like to
              delete them.

              Alex.

              Demosthenes wrote:
              > Thanks Alex - I just want to make sure that the NVidia driver actually
              > works on my machine before I buy the power pack or pay for a club
              > membership. I know the nv driver is a software only driver which is
              > the problem.
              >
              > I downloaded the official driver from the NVidia site although it
              > compiled itself against installed kernel headers which appear to match
              > my kernel version. The Nvidia .run file complained there was no
              > matching 'kernel interface' so had to compile from scratch. I don't
              > know if that has anything to do with it. I think some years ago, there
              > used to be .rpm files or .rpm source files available - I can't remember.
              >
              > For people new to this discussion - I have uploaded images of my
              > display problem in the 'pics' directory of this discussion group.
              >
              > Does anyone have an .rpm file or something I can install to try that
              > instead of the 'self compiling' NVidia driver.
              >
              > --- In linux-dell-laptops@yahoogroups.com, Alexandre Tessier
              > <Alexandre.Tessier@l...> wrote:
              >
              >>The 'nv' driver installed by Mandriva is not the nvidia driver. It is
              >>the XFree/Xorg driver for nvidia cards. The nvidia driver is called
              >>'nvidia'. If you want it, you can either download from nvidia
              >>(http://www.nvidia.fr/object/linux_fr.html or
              >>http://www.nvidia.co.uk/object/unix.html) or you can install Mandriva
              >>PowerPack (the powerpack distribution adds ati and nvidia driver to
              >
              > the
              >
              >>download edition).
              >>
              >>Alex.

              http://www.univ-orleans.fr/SCIENCES/LIFO/Members/tessier/
              tel LIFO: +33 (0)238494670 tel IUFM: +33 (0)238798417
            • Demosthenes
              Message 6 of 27 , Sep 15, 2005
                what I do this from a root console before I startx with the NVidia
                driver configured to run in place of the 'nv' driver?

                How did it work for you? What does it do and why does it work?

                Thanks,

                Ian

                --- In linux-dell-laptops@yahoogroups.com, "sugaratias" <adam@t...>
                wrote:
                > modprobe nvidia NVreg_SoftEDIDs=0 NVreg_Mobile=0
                >
                > It worked for me!
              • Demosthenes
                Message 7 of 27 , Sep 15, 2005
                  thanks I will download on to my Linux partition shortly..

                  Will these work for the standard Mandriva Download Kernel and will I
                  have to recompile and change everything if I upgrade the kernel and
                  kernel source? So I just unintstall the nvidia.run file compiled
                  driver (with some uninstall option I presume) and then install these
                  files?

                  Will these xfonfig files work with 1600x1200?

                  Thanks,

                  Ian

                  Message 8 of 27 , Sep 15, 2005
                    Yes, before you startx.

                    Have xorg.conf set to use the nvidia driver.

                    Then you need to load the nvidia module. If I just do modprobe nvidia
                    and then startx I get lots of coloured lines down the right of the
                    screen and the resolution is wrong.

                    If I do modprobe nvidia NVreg_SoftEDIDs=0 NVreg_Mobile=0 and then
                    startx, it works fine.

                    I am guessing it tells the module to ignore what the system is telling
                    it and just use the right resolution anyway. Not sure about the mobile
                    flag, there must be something different with the dell chipsets, so
                    that must tell it to use the GeForce 440 mobile editio perhaps.

                    Like I say.. works on my Dell Inspiron 8200 with a GeForce440 Go and a
                    1600x1200 UXGA panel.

                    :-)

                    <aristotle@i...> wrote:
                    > what I do this from a root console before I startx with the NVidia
                    > driver configured to run in place of the 'nv' driver?
                    >
                    > How did it work for you? What does it do and why does it work?
                    >
                    > Thanks,
                    >
                    > Ian
                    >
                    > --- In linux-dell-laptops@yahoogroups.com, "sugaratias" <adam@t...>
                    > wrote:
                    > > modprobe nvidia NVreg_SoftEDIDs=0 NVreg_Mobile=0
                    > >
                    > > It worked for me!
                  • Demosthenes
                    Message 9 of 27 , Sep 15, 2005
                      thanks.. I received an error about symbols or something - although
                      I am sure I have a kernel and matching kernel source - and in the
                      log file something about those parameters not being recognised.

                      I thought I had copied the logs across to a floppy disk although
                      they have not copied (I am back in XP - argh - will reboot now).

                      However, I will try again, and how can I have this happen on startup
                      automatically? Great to hear someone else has the same problem!
                      How obscure! Did you look at my the images I have uploaded in to
                      the Photos directory of this group and you have the same problem?

                      wrote:
                      > Yes, before you startx.
                      >
                      > Have xorg.conf set to use the nvidia driver.
                      >
                      > Then you need to load the nvidia module. If I just do modprobe
                      nvidia
                      > and then startx I get lots of coloured lines down the right of the
                      > screen and the resolution is wrong.
                      >
                      > If I do modprobe nvidia NVreg_SoftEDIDs=0 NVreg_Mobile=0 and then
                      > startx, it works fine.
                      >
                      > I am guessing it tells the module to ignore what the system is
                      telling
                      > it and just use the right resolution anyway. Not sure about the
                      mobile
                      > flag, there must be something different with the dell chipsets, so
                      > that must tell it to use the GeForce 440 mobile editio perhaps.
                      >
                      > Like I say.. works on my Dell Inspiron 8200 with a GeForce440 Go
                      and a
                      > 1600x1200 UXGA panel.
                      >
                      > :-)
                      >

                      > --- In linux-dell-laptops@yahoogroups.com, "Demosthenes"
                      > <aristotle@i...> wrote:
                      > > what I do this from a root console before I startx with the
                      NVidia
                      > > driver configured to run in place of the 'nv' driver?
                      > >
                      > > How did it work for you? What does it do and why does it work?
                      > >
                      > > Thanks,
                      > >
                      > > Ian
                      > >
                      > > --- In linux-dell-laptops@yahoogroups.com, "sugaratias"
                      <adam@t...>
                      > > wrote:
                      > > > modprobe nvidia NVreg_SoftEDIDs=0 NVreg_Mobile=0
                      > > >
                      > > > It worked for me!
                    • Demosthenes
                      Message 10 of 27 , Sep 15, 2005
                        where are these options detailed? I could not find them in the
                        readme file.

                        wrote:
                        > Yes, before you startx.
                        >
                        > Have xorg.conf set to use the nvidia driver.
                        >
                        > Then you need to load the nvidia module. If I just do modprobe
                        nvidia
                        > and then startx I get lots of coloured lines down the right of the
                        > screen and the resolution is wrong.
                        >
                        > If I do modprobe nvidia NVreg_SoftEDIDs=0 NVreg_Mobile=0 and then
                        > startx, it works fine.
                        >
                        > I am guessing it tells the module to ignore what the system is
                        telling
                        > it and just use the right resolution anyway. Not sure about the
                        mobile
                        > flag, there must be something different with the dell chipsets, so
                        > that must tell it to use the GeForce 440 mobile editio perhaps.
                        >
                        > Like I say.. works on my Dell Inspiron 8200 with a GeForce440 Go
                        and a
                        > 1600x1200 UXGA panel.
                        >
                        > :-)
                        >

                        > --- In linux-dell-laptops@yahoogroups.com, "Demosthenes"
                        > <aristotle@i...> wrote:
                        > > what I do this from a root console before I startx with the
                        NVidia
                        > > driver configured to run in place of the 'nv' driver?
                        > >
                        > > How did it work for you? What does it do and why does it work?
                        > >
                        > > Thanks,
                        > >
                        > > Ian
                        > >
                        > > --- In linux-dell-laptops@yahoogroups.com, "sugaratias"
                        <adam@t...>
                        > > wrote:
                        > > > modprobe nvidia NVreg_SoftEDIDs=0 NVreg_Mobile=0
                        > > >
                        > > > It worked for me!
                      • Demosthenes
                        Message 11 of 27 , Sep 15, 2005
                          have downloaded now - thanks! although same problem but much
                          appreciated anyhow.

                          Message 12 of 27 , Sep 15, 2005
                            BTW - there was something in the xfree log (warning) about refresh
                            rates being disregarded for something else.. interesting and
                            perhaps this is the problem you are having.

                            wrote:
                            > Yes, before you startx.
                            >
                            > Have xorg.conf set to use the nvidia driver.
                            >
                            > Then you need to load the nvidia module. If I just do modprobe
                            nvidia
                            > and then startx I get lots of coloured lines down the right of the
                            > screen and the resolution is wrong.
                            >
                            > If I do modprobe nvidia NVreg_SoftEDIDs=0 NVreg_Mobile=0 and then
                            > startx, it works fine.
                            >
                            > I am guessing it tells the module to ignore what the system is
                            telling
                            > it and just use the right resolution anyway. Not sure about the
                            mobile
                            > flag, there must be something different with the dell chipsets, so
                            > that must tell it to use the GeForce 440 mobile editio perhaps.
                            >
                            > Like I say.. works on my Dell Inspiron 8200 with a GeForce440 Go
                            and a
                            > 1600x1200 UXGA panel.
                            >
                            > :-)
                            >

                            > --- In linux-dell-laptops@yahoogroups.com, "Demosthenes"
                            > <aristotle@i...> wrote:
                            > > what I do this from a root console before I startx with the
                            NVidia
                            > > driver configured to run in place of the 'nv' driver?
                            > >
                            > > How did it work for you? What does it do and why does it work?
                            > >
                            > > Thanks,
                            > >
                            > > Ian
                            > >
                            > > --- In linux-dell-laptops@yahoogroups.com, "sugaratias"
                            <adam@t...>
                            > > wrote:
                            > > > modprobe nvidia NVreg_SoftEDIDs=0 NVreg_Mobile=0
                            > > >
                            > > > It worked for me!
                          • Demosthenes
                            Message 13 of 27 , Sep 15, 2005
                              you LEGEND!!!!! It is now working GREAT!!! I just played my first game
                              of Chromium and I am a happy man and I will spread the word about this
                              fix and buy myself membership to the Mandriva Club to support Mandriva.

                              I may have more questionsa bout configuration - can I email you directly?

                              Firstly, how can I have this boot with these options each time? At
                              the moment Mandriva boots straight in to X each time, so how can I
                              reconfigure to boot with these options set? Can I put them in the
                              XConfig file?

                              So it was something about the refresh rates after all.

                              Well done!!!!

                              Kind Regards and Sincere Appreciation,

                              Ian
                              (Adelaide, South Australia)

                              --- In linux-dell-laptops@yahoogroups.com, "sugaratias" <adam@t...> wrote:
                              > Yes, before you startx.
                              >
                              > Have xorg.conf set to use the nvidia driver.
                              >
                              > Then you need to load the nvidia module. If I just do modprobe nvidia
                              > and then startx I get lots of coloured lines down the right of the
                              > screen and the resolution is wrong.
                              >
                              > If I do modprobe nvidia NVreg_SoftEDIDs=0 NVreg_Mobile=0 and then
                              > startx, it works fine.
                              >
                              > I am guessing it tells the module to ignore what the system is telling
                              > it and just use the right resolution anyway. Not sure about the mobile
                              > flag, there must be something different with the dell chipsets, so
                              > that must tell it to use the GeForce 440 mobile editio perhaps.
                              >
                              > Like I say.. works on my Dell Inspiron 8200 with a GeForce440 Go and a
                              > 1600x1200 UXGA panel.
                              >
                              > :-)
                              >

                              > --- In linux-dell-laptops@yahoogroups.com, "Demosthenes"
                              > <aristotle@i...> wrote:
                              > > what I do this from a root console before I startx with the NVidia
                              > > driver configured to run in place of the 'nv' driver?
                              > >
                              > > How did it work for you? What does it do and why does it work?
                              > >
                              > > Thanks,
                              > >
                              > > Ian
                              > >
                              > > --- In linux-dell-laptops@yahoogroups.com, "sugaratias" <adam@t...>
                              > > wrote:
                              > > > modprobe nvidia NVreg_SoftEDIDs=0 NVreg_Mobile=0
                              > > >
                              > > > It worked for me!
                            • Herman
                              Message 14 of 27 , Sep 15, 2005
                                A good place to add boot options is at the bottom of /etc/rc.d/rc.local

                                That is the last file to run, before X starts up.

                                Cheers,

                                H.

                                Demosthenes wrote:
                                > you LEGEND!!!!! It is now working GREAT!!! I just played my first game
                                > of Chromium and I am a happy man and I will spread the word about this
                                > fix and buy myself membership to the Mandriva Club to support Mandriva.
                                >
                                > I may have more questionsa bout configuration - can I email you directly?
                                >
                                > Firstly, how can I have this boot with these options each time? At
                                > the moment Mandriva boots straight in to X each time, so how can I
                                > reconfigure to boot with these options set? Can I put them in the
                                > XConfig file?
                                >
                                > So it was something about the refresh rates after all.
                                >
                                > Well done!!!!
                                >
                                > Kind Regards and Sincere Appreciation,
                                >
                                > Ian
                                > (Adelaide, South Australia)
                                >
                                > --- In linux-dell-laptops@yahoogroups.com, "sugaratias" <adam@t...> wrote:
                                >
                                >>Yes, before you startx.
                                >>
                                >>Have xorg.conf set to use the nvidia driver.
                                >>
                                >>Then you need to load the nvidia module. If I just do modprobe nvidia
                                >>and then startx I get lots of coloured lines down the right of the
                                >>screen and the resolution is wrong.
                                >>
                                >>If I do modprobe nvidia NVreg_SoftEDIDs=0 NVreg_Mobile=0 and then
                                >>startx, it works fine.
                                >>
                                >>I am guessing it tells the module to ignore what the system is telling
                                >>it and just use the right resolution anyway. Not sure about the mobile
                                >>flag, there must be something different with the dell chipsets, so
                                >>that must tell it to use the GeForce 440 mobile editio perhaps.
                                >>
                                >>Like I say.. works on my Dell Inspiron 8200 with a GeForce440 Go and a
                                >>1600x1200 UXGA panel.
                                >>
                                >>:-)
                                >>

                                >>--- In linux-dell-laptops@yahoogroups.com, "Demosthenes"
                                >><aristotle@i...> wrote:
                                >>
                                >>>what I do this from a root console before I startx with the NVidia
                                >>>driver configured to run in place of the 'nv' driver?
                                >>>
                                >>>How did it work for you? What does it do and why does it work?
                                >>>
                                >>>Thanks,
                                >>>
                                >>>Ian
                                >>>
                                >>>--- In linux-dell-laptops@yahoogroups.com, "sugaratias" <adam@t...>

                              • Demosthenes
                                Message 15 of 27 , Sep 15, 2005
                                  Hi All,

                                  Thanks for your help with my NVidia issues! Now I just have to work
                                  out how to make the nvidia-settings settings stick (such as vibrance,
                                  smoothing, etc) - I suppose I will take that to a dedicated NVidia
                                  driver group.

                                  Thanks a million everyone!!!

                                  Ian
                                • sugaratias
                                  Message 16 of 27 , Sep 15, 2005
                                    Glad to be of service! :-)

                                    The same problem was driving me up the wall a short while ago..