Re: garbled NVidia display - Dell 8200 Mandriva Linux (NVidia Driver Problem)

  • Demosthenes
    Message 1 of 27 , Sep 10, 2005
      I will post an output of lspci as you have done as well and compare
      it. both my screen and graphics chip have been replaced by Dell while
      my laptop was under extended warranty (screen because it was wearing
      out - chip because I was getting crashes under XP and they suggested
      changing it) so I hope something has not gone wrong there. It did run
      fine under Mandrake when I first got it (9 or 10)? I recall..

      No docking station, no external monitor. I downloaded the driver
      straight off the NVidia site only a week ago.

      --- In linux-dell-laptops@yahoogroups.com, Gabriel <ggali_66@s...> wrote:
      > Strange,
      >
      > I have pretty much the same configuration (I'm not sure what your
      video card is exactly, mine is a GeForce4 440Go) and it works fine,
      albeit with Mandrake 10.1.
      > I have BIOS A11
      > Do you have a docking station pluged in?
      > Do you have an external monitor connected?
      > What version of the NVidia driver are you using? (ie what file did
      you download from NVidia)
      > Perhaps you could analyse the output of /var/log/Xorg.0.log - the
      xorg log file, it may tell you why it is choosing a lower resolution.
      > Have you tried playing with Fn-F7 (I think that is the combination
      that changes the screen size)?

      > Good luck.
      >

      > For what its worth, here is the output of lspci -vv on my video card:
      >
      > 01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation NV17 [GeForce4
      440 Go] (rev a3) (prog-if 00 [VGA])
      > Subsystem: Dell: Unknown device 00d4
      > Control: I/O+ Mem+ BusMaster+ SpecCycle- MemWINV- VGASnoop+
      ParErr- Stepping- SERR- FastB2B-
      >TAbort- <TAbort- <MAbort- >SERR- <PERR-
      > Latency: 248 (1250ns min, 250ns max)
      > Interrupt: pin A routed to IRQ 11
      > Region 0: Memory at fc000000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable)
      [size=16M]
      > Region 1: Memory at e0000000 (32-bit, prefetchable) [size=128M]
      > Region 2: Memory at dff80000 (32-bit, prefetchable) [size=512K]
      > Expansion ROM at 80000000 [disabled] [size=128K]
      > Capabilities: [60] Power Management version 2
      > Flags: PMEClk- DSI- D1- D2- AuxCurrent=0mA
      PME(D0-,D1-,D2-,D3hot-,D3cold-)
      GART64- HTrans- 64bit- FW+ AGP3- Rate=x1,x2,x4
      > Command: RQ=32 ArqSz=0 Cal=0 SBA- AGP+ GART64-
      64bit- FW- Rate=x4

      > On Saturday 03 September 2005 11.18, Demosthenes wrote:
      > > Well I have updated the BIOS (if it was needed) and have tried 16 bit
      > > colour resolution and still same problem. Something curious is that
      > > the screen seems to think it is working with less - so if I move the
      > > mouse to the far left or right or up or down the screen 'scrolls' - so
      > > this indicates we may have a software issue? After all it works fine
      > > with the standard 'nv' driver (although no hardware acceleration with
      > > this right?).
      > >
      > > Photos of my screen are uploaded in the photos section of this
      > > discussion group under a folder called 'problems'.
      > >
      > > Screen is 1600x1200 LCD native resolution 24 bit colour I believe.
      > >
      > > I am running Mandriva 2005 'download' or limited edition.
      > >
      > > --- In linux-dell-laptops@yahoogroups.com, "Demosthenes"
      > > <aristotle@i...> wrote:
      > > > Leonardo,
      > > >
      > > > Thank you for the xorg.conf file. I had to add some comments in
      some
      > > > lines and remove some carriage returns after I pasted this to a text
      > > > file and copied it across from my Windows partition to my Linux
      > > > partition. X then started up fine although the same problem is
      there.
      > > > I took another photo and will post it up although I suspect nothing
      > > > has changed.
      > > >
      > > > I am almost certain I have the latest BIOS and the display seems to
      > > > work fine under Windows XP SP2. I hope I do not have a hardware
      > > > problem though!!!! The display in Linux works 'fine' with the
      > > > standard Nvidia driver that ships with Mandriva Limited Edition
      > > > (download) although no hardware graphics support which sucks. It
      > > > really slows the machine down to use a GUI with it.
      > > >
      > > > So it may be unlikely I have a hardware problem and hardware
      > > > diagnostics a month ago showed up nothing.
      > > >
      > > > The only thing I can think of that is curious is that the driver
      > > > complained that there was no 'kernel interface' for my system so it
      > > > compiled another against the Kernel source files I installed off the
      > > DVD.
      > > >
      > > > Any thoughts - anyone??
      > > >
      > > > --- In linux-dell-laptops@yahoogroups.com, Leonardo Diaz

      > > helps.

      > > > together)

      > > switching)
      > > mouse

      > > 640x480,

    • Demosthenes
      Message 2 of 27 , Sep 10, 2005
        --- In linux-dell-laptops@yahoogroups.com, Herman <herman@a...> wrote:

        > Laptops usually have weird display hardware. If the NV driver won't
        work
        > properly, try VESA with 15 bit colour. That should give you a usable
        > display. Once you have a basic display, you'll have to get the latest
        > NV driver from Nvidia and install that.
        >
        > Maybe have a look at this guide:
        > http://www.aerospacesoftware.com/fubar-howto.html
        >
        > Cheers,
        >
        > H.

        The funny thing is that the standard nv driver installed by Mandriva
        works fine - albeit with no 3D acceleration - so I have a basic
        display that puts strain on the CPU to manage the GUI so it's a little
        slower and I would really like to use the graphics hardware under Linux.
      • Alexandre Tessier
        Message 3 of 27 , Sep 12, 2005
          Demosthenes wrote:
          > --- In linux-dell-laptops@yahoogroups.com, Herman <herman@a...> wrote:
          >

          >>Laptops usually have weird display hardware. If the NV driver won't
          >
          > work
          >
          >>properly, try VESA with 15 bit colour. That should give you a usable
          >>display. Once you have a basic display, you'll have to get the latest
          >>NV driver from Nvidia and install that.
          >>
          >>Maybe have a look at this guide:
          >>http://www.aerospacesoftware.com/fubar-howto.html
          >>
          >>Cheers,
          >>
          >>H.
          >

          > The funny thing is that the standard nv driver installed by Mandriva
          > works fine - albeit with no 3D acceleration - so I have a basic
          > display that puts strain on the CPU to manage the GUI so it's a little
          > slower and I would really like to use the graphics hardware under Linux.

          The 'nv' driver installed by Mandriva is not the nvidia driver. It is
          the XFree/Xorg driver for nvidia cards. The nvidia driver is called
          'nvidia'. If you want it, you can either download from nvidia
          (http://www.nvidia.fr/object/linux_fr.html or
          http://www.nvidia.co.uk/object/unix.html) or you can install Mandriva
          PowerPack (the powerpack distribution adds ati and nvidia driver to the
          download edition).

          Alex.
        • Gabriel
          Message 4 of 27 , Sep 12, 2005
            I would:

            1st - try the PowerPack as Alexandre suggests in an another post (you may first have to uninstall your NVidia drivers before installing the PowerPack), as Mandriva may well have sorted out these problems for you.

            If that fails then investigate:

            Run the program:
            # nvidia-bug-report.sh
            Which will produce the file:
            nvidia-bug-report.log
            ... for investigative purposes.

            If the above program fails then these files should be of help:
            /var/log/Xorg.0.log
            The X config file (they are so many potential config files, the best is to check the log file above to know _which one_ is used).
            xdpyinfo
            lsmod
            dmesg
            lspci -vv
            lspci -vvn

            Also the NVidia README.txt file is a good read, the file should be in:
            /usr/share/doc/NVIDIA*/README.txt

            If the above don't mean much to you post them and hopefully we may be able to sort it out ....

            Cheers,
            Gabriel.

          • Demosthenes
            Message 5 of 27 , Sep 14, 2005
              Thanks Alex - I just want to make sure that the NVidia driver actually
              works on my machine before I buy the power pack or pay for a club
              membership. I know the nv driver is a software only driver which is
              the problem.

              I downloaded the official driver from the NVidia site although it
              compiled itself against installed kernel headers which appear to match
              my kernel version. The Nvidia .run file complained there was no
              matching 'kernel interface' so had to compile from scratch. I don't
              know if that has anything to do with it. I think some years ago, there
              used to be .rpm files or .rpm source files available - I can't remember.

              For people new to this discussion - I have uploaded images of my
              display problem in the 'pics' directory of this discussion group.

              Does anyone have an .rpm file or something I can install to try that
              instead of the 'self compiling' NVidia driver.

              --- In linux-dell-laptops@yahoogroups.com, Alexandre Tessier
              <Alexandre.Tessier@l...> wrote:
              > The 'nv' driver installed by Mandriva is not the nvidia driver. It is
              > the XFree/Xorg driver for nvidia cards. The nvidia driver is called
              > 'nvidia'. If you want it, you can either download from nvidia
              > (http://www.nvidia.fr/object/linux_fr.html or
              > http://www.nvidia.co.uk/object/unix.html) or you can install Mandriva
              > PowerPack (the powerpack distribution adds ati and nvidia driver to
              the
              > download edition).
              >
              > Alex.
            • Demosthenes
              Message 6 of 27 , Sep 14, 2005
                Thanks..

                The Power Pack is a little expensive in Australian currency I
                believe (can't download?) and part of this is that I need to ensure
                that my graphics hardware is compatible before purchasing.

                I will try the rest as outlined below, I really do appreciate the
                help guys.

                Ian

                wrote:
> [...]
                > > [size=16M]
                > > > Region 1: Memory at e0000000 (32-bit, prefetchable)
                [size=128M]
                > > > Region 2: Memory at dff80000 (32-bit, prefetchable)
                [size=512K]
                > > > Expansion ROM at 80000000 [disabled] [size=128K]
                > > > Capabilities: [60] Power Management version 2
                > > > Flags: PMEClk- DSI- D1- D2- AuxCurrent=0mA
                > > PME(D0-,D1-,D2-,D3hot-,D3cold-)
                > > GART64- HTrans- 64bit- FW+ AGP3- Rate=x1,x2,x4
                > > > Command: RQ=32 ArqSz=0 Cal=0 SBA- AGP+ GART64-
                > > 64bit- FW- Rate=x4

                > > some
                Linux
                > > there.

                Edition

                > > laptop and
                > > presented
                > > right hand
                > > hold on

                Option "ConnectedMonitor" "scrTV, scrLCD"

              • sugaratias
                Message 7 of 27 , Sep 14, 2005
                  modprobe nvidia NVreg_SoftEDIDs=0 NVreg_Mobile=0

                  It worked for me!
                • Alexandre Tessier
                  Message 8 of 27 , Sep 15, 2005
                    Here are the 3 rpm found with 'rpm -qa | grep -i nvidia':
                    http://www.univ-orleans.fr/SCIENCES/LIFO/Members/tessier/NVIDIA/
                    I have put also some examples of xorg.conf files.
                    I hope they will work with Mandriva download edition...
                    Tell me if you need other rpm.
                    Tell me also when you have downloaded the files because I would like to
                    delete them.

                    Alex.

                    Demosthenes wrote:
                    > Thanks Alex - I just want to make sure that the NVidia driver actually
                    > works on my machine before I buy the power pack or pay for a club
                    > membership. I know the nv driver is a software only driver which is
                    > the problem.
                    >
                    > I downloaded the official driver from the NVidia site although it
                    > compiled itself against installed kernel headers which appear to match
                    > my kernel version. The Nvidia .run file complained there was no
                    > matching 'kernel interface' so had to compile from scratch. I don't
                    > know if that has anything to do with it. I think some years ago, there
                    > used to be .rpm files or .rpm source files available - I can't remember.
                    >
                    > For people new to this discussion - I have uploaded images of my
                    > display problem in the 'pics' directory of this discussion group.
                    >
                    > Does anyone have an .rpm file or something I can install to try that
                    > instead of the 'self compiling' NVidia driver.
                    >
                    > --- In linux-dell-laptops@yahoogroups.com, Alexandre Tessier
                    > <Alexandre.Tessier@l...> wrote:
                    >
                    >>The 'nv' driver installed by Mandriva is not the nvidia driver. It is
                    >>the XFree/Xorg driver for nvidia cards. The nvidia driver is called
                    >>'nvidia'. If you want it, you can either download from nvidia
                    >>(http://www.nvidia.fr/object/linux_fr.html or
                    >>http://www.nvidia.co.uk/object/unix.html) or you can install Mandriva
                    >>PowerPack (the powerpack distribution adds ati and nvidia driver to
                    >
                    > the
                    >
                    >>download edition).
                    >>
                    >>Alex.

                    http://www.univ-orleans.fr/SCIENCES/LIFO/Members/tessier/
                    tel LIFO: +33 (0)238494670 tel IUFM: +33 (0)238798417
                  • Demosthenes
                    Message 9 of 27 , Sep 15, 2005
                      what I do this from a root console before I startx with the NVidia
                      driver configured to run in place of the 'nv' driver?

                      How did it work for you? What does it do and why does it work?

                      Thanks,

                      Ian

                      --- In linux-dell-laptops@yahoogroups.com, "sugaratias" <adam@t...>
                      wrote:
                      > modprobe nvidia NVreg_SoftEDIDs=0 NVreg_Mobile=0
                      >
                      > It worked for me!
                    • Demosthenes
                      Message 10 of 27 , Sep 15, 2005
                        thanks I will download on to my Linux partition shortly..

                        Will these work for the standard Mandriva Download Kernel and will I
                        have to recompile and change everything if I upgrade the kernel and
                        kernel source? So I just unintstall the nvidia.run file compiled
                        driver (with some uninstall option I presume) and then install these
                        files?

                        Will these xfonfig files work with 1600x1200?

                        Thanks,

                        Ian

                        Message 11 of 27 , Sep 15, 2005
                          Yes, before you startx.

                          Have xorg.conf set to use the nvidia driver.

                          Then you need to load the nvidia module. If I just do modprobe nvidia
                          and then startx I get lots of coloured lines down the right of the
                          screen and the resolution is wrong.

                          If I do modprobe nvidia NVreg_SoftEDIDs=0 NVreg_Mobile=0 and then
                          startx, it works fine.

                          I am guessing it tells the module to ignore what the system is telling
                          it and just use the right resolution anyway. Not sure about the mobile
                          flag, there must be something different with the dell chipsets, so
                          that must tell it to use the GeForce 440 mobile editio perhaps.

                          Like I say.. works on my Dell Inspiron 8200 with a GeForce440 Go and a
                          1600x1200 UXGA panel.

                          :-)

                          <aristotle@i...> wrote:
                          > what I do this from a root console before I startx with the NVidia
                          > driver configured to run in place of the 'nv' driver?
                          >
                          > How did it work for you? What does it do and why does it work?
                          >
                          > Thanks,
                          >
                          > Ian
                          >
                          > --- In linux-dell-laptops@yahoogroups.com, "sugaratias" <adam@t...>
                          > wrote:
                          > > modprobe nvidia NVreg_SoftEDIDs=0 NVreg_Mobile=0
                          > >
                          > > It worked for me!
                        • Demosthenes
                          Message 12 of 27 , Sep 15, 2005
                            thanks.. I received an error about symbols or something - although
                            I am sure I have a kernel and matching kernel source - and in the
                            log file something about those parameters not being recognised.

                            I thought I had copied the logs across to a floppy disk although
                            they have not copied (I am back in XP - argh - will reboot now).

                            However, I will try again, and how can I have this happen on startup
                            automatically? Great to hear someone else has the same problem!
                            How obscure! Did you look at my the images I have uploaded in to
                            the Photos directory of this group and you have the same problem?

                            wrote:
                            > Yes, before you startx.
                            >
                            > Have xorg.conf set to use the nvidia driver.
                            >
                            > Then you need to load the nvidia module. If I just do modprobe
                            nvidia
                            > and then startx I get lots of coloured lines down the right of the
                            > screen and the resolution is wrong.
                            >
                            > If I do modprobe nvidia NVreg_SoftEDIDs=0 NVreg_Mobile=0 and then
                            > startx, it works fine.
                            >
                            > I am guessing it tells the module to ignore what the system is
                            telling
                            > it and just use the right resolution anyway. Not sure about the
                            mobile
                            > flag, there must be something different with the dell chipsets, so
                            > that must tell it to use the GeForce 440 mobile editio perhaps.
                            >
                            > Like I say.. works on my Dell Inspiron 8200 with a GeForce440 Go
                            and a
                            > 1600x1200 UXGA panel.
                            >
                            > :-)
                            >

                            > --- In linux-dell-laptops@yahoogroups.com, "Demosthenes"
                            > <aristotle@i...> wrote:
                            > > what I do this from a root console before I startx with the
                            NVidia
                            > > driver configured to run in place of the 'nv' driver?
                            > >
                            > > How did it work for you? What does it do and why does it work?
                            > >
                            > > Thanks,
                            > >
                            > > Ian
                            > >
                            > > --- In linux-dell-laptops@yahoogroups.com, "sugaratias"
                            <adam@t...>
                            > > wrote:
                            > > > modprobe nvidia NVreg_SoftEDIDs=0 NVreg_Mobile=0
                            > > >
                            > > > It worked for me!
                          • Demosthenes
                            Message 13 of 27 , Sep 15, 2005
                              where are these options detailed? I could not find them in the
                              readme file.

                              wrote:
                              > Yes, before you startx.
                              >
                              > Have xorg.conf set to use the nvidia driver.
                              >
                              > Then you need to load the nvidia module. If I just do modprobe
                              nvidia
                              > and then startx I get lots of coloured lines down the right of the
                              > screen and the resolution is wrong.
                              >
                              > If I do modprobe nvidia NVreg_SoftEDIDs=0 NVreg_Mobile=0 and then
                              > startx, it works fine.
                              >
                              > I am guessing it tells the module to ignore what the system is
                              telling
                              > it and just use the right resolution anyway. Not sure about the
                              mobile
                              > flag, there must be something different with the dell chipsets, so
                              > that must tell it to use the GeForce 440 mobile editio perhaps.
                              >
                              > Like I say.. works on my Dell Inspiron 8200 with a GeForce440 Go
                              and a
                              > 1600x1200 UXGA panel.
                              >
                              > :-)
                              >

                              > --- In linux-dell-laptops@yahoogroups.com, "Demosthenes"
                              > <aristotle@i...> wrote:
                              > > what I do this from a root console before I startx with the
                              NVidia
                              > > driver configured to run in place of the 'nv' driver?
                              > >
                              > > How did it work for you? What does it do and why does it work?
                              > >
                              > > Thanks,
                              > >
                              > > Ian
                              > >
                              > > --- In linux-dell-laptops@yahoogroups.com, "sugaratias"
                              <adam@t...>
                              > > wrote:
                              > > > modprobe nvidia NVreg_SoftEDIDs=0 NVreg_Mobile=0
                              > > >
                              > > > It worked for me!
                            • Demosthenes
                              Message 14 of 27 , Sep 15, 2005
                                have downloaded now - thanks! although same problem but much
                                appreciated anyhow.

                                Message 15 of 27 , Sep 15, 2005
                                  BTW - there was something in the xfree log (warning) about refresh
                                  rates being disregarded for something else.. interesting and
                                  perhaps this is the problem you are having.

                                  wrote:
                                  > Yes, before you startx.
                                  >
                                  > Have xorg.conf set to use the nvidia driver.
                                  >
                                  > Then you need to load the nvidia module. If I just do modprobe
                                  nvidia
                                  > and then startx I get lots of coloured lines down the right of the
                                  > screen and the resolution is wrong.
                                  >
                                  > If I do modprobe nvidia NVreg_SoftEDIDs=0 NVreg_Mobile=0 and then
                                  > startx, it works fine.
                                  >
                                  > I am guessing it tells the module to ignore what the system is
                                  telling
                                  > it and just use the right resolution anyway. Not sure about the
                                  mobile
                                  > flag, there must be something different with the dell chipsets, so
                                  > that must tell it to use the GeForce 440 mobile editio perhaps.
                                  >
                                  > Like I say.. works on my Dell Inspiron 8200 with a GeForce440 Go
                                  and a
                                  > 1600x1200 UXGA panel.
                                  >
                                  > :-)
                                  >

                                  > --- In linux-dell-laptops@yahoogroups.com, "Demosthenes"
                                  > <aristotle@i...> wrote:
                                  > > what I do this from a root console before I startx with the
                                  NVidia
                                  > > driver configured to run in place of the 'nv' driver?
                                  > >
                                  > > How did it work for you? What does it do and why does it work?
                                  > >
                                  > > Thanks,
                                  > >
                                  > > Ian
                                  > >
                                  > > --- In linux-dell-laptops@yahoogroups.com, "sugaratias"
                                  <adam@t...>
                                  > > wrote:
                                  > > > modprobe nvidia NVreg_SoftEDIDs=0 NVreg_Mobile=0
                                  > > >
                                  > > > It worked for me!
                                • Demosthenes
                                  Message 16 of 27 , Sep 15, 2005
                                    you LEGEND!!!!! It is now working GREAT!!! I just played my first game
                                    of Chromium and I am a happy man and I will spread the word about this
                                    fix and buy myself membership to the Mandriva Club to support Mandriva.

                                    I may have more questionsa bout configuration - can I email you directly?

                                    Firstly, how can I have this boot with these options each time? At
                                    the moment Mandriva boots straight in to X each time, so how can I
                                    reconfigure to boot with these options set? Can I put them in the
                                    XConfig file?

                                    So it was something about the refresh rates after all.

                                    Well done!!!!

                                    Kind Regards and Sincere Appreciation,

                                    Ian
                                    (Adelaide, South Australia)

                                    --- In linux-dell-laptops@yahoogroups.com, "sugaratias" <adam@t...> wrote:
                                    > Yes, before you startx.
                                    >
                                    > Have xorg.conf set to use the nvidia driver.
                                    >
                                    > Then you need to load the nvidia module. If I just do modprobe nvidia
                                    > and then startx I get lots of coloured lines down the right of the
                                    > screen and the resolution is wrong.
                                    >
                                    > If I do modprobe nvidia NVreg_SoftEDIDs=0 NVreg_Mobile=0 and then
                                    > startx, it works fine.
                                    >
                                    > I am guessing it tells the module to ignore what the system is telling
                                    > it and just use the right resolution anyway. Not sure about the mobile
                                    > flag, there must be something different with the dell chipsets, so
                                    > that must tell it to use the GeForce 440 mobile editio perhaps.
                                    >
                                    > Like I say.. works on my Dell Inspiron 8200 with a GeForce440 Go and a
                                    > 1600x1200 UXGA panel.
                                    >
                                    > :-)
                                    >

                                    > --- In linux-dell-laptops@yahoogroups.com, "Demosthenes"
                                    > <aristotle@i...> wrote:
                                    > > what I do this from a root console before I startx with the NVidia
                                    > > driver configured to run in place of the 'nv' driver?
                                    > >
                                    > > How did it work for you? What does it do and why does it work?
                                    > >
                                    > > Thanks,
                                    > >
                                    > > Ian
                                    > >
                                    > > --- In linux-dell-laptops@yahoogroups.com, "sugaratias" <adam@t...>
                                    > > wrote:
                                    > > > modprobe nvidia NVreg_SoftEDIDs=0 NVreg_Mobile=0
                                    > > >
                                    > > > It worked for me!
                                  • Herman
                                    Message 17 of 27 , Sep 15, 2005
                                      A good place to add boot options is at the bottom of /etc/rc.d/rc.local

                                      That is the last file to run, before X starts up.

                                      Cheers,

                                      H.

                                      Demosthenes wrote:
                                      > you LEGEND!!!!! It is now working GREAT!!! I just played my first game
                                      > of Chromium and I am a happy man and I will spread the word about this
                                      > fix and buy myself membership to the Mandriva Club to support Mandriva.
                                      >
                                      > I may have more questionsa bout configuration - can I email you directly?
                                      >
                                      > Firstly, how can I have this boot with these options each time? At
                                      > the moment Mandriva boots straight in to X each time, so how can I
                                      > reconfigure to boot with these options set? Can I put them in the
                                      > XConfig file?
                                      >
                                      > So it was something about the refresh rates after all.
                                      >
                                      > Well done!!!!
                                      >
                                      > Kind Regards and Sincere Appreciation,
                                      >
                                      > Ian
                                      > (Adelaide, South Australia)
                                      >
                                      > --- In linux-dell-laptops@yahoogroups.com, "sugaratias" <adam@t...> wrote:
                                      >
                                      >>Yes, before you startx.
                                      >>
                                      >>Have xorg.conf set to use the nvidia driver.
                                      >>
                                      >>Then you need to load the nvidia module. If I just do modprobe nvidia
                                      >>and then startx I get lots of coloured lines down the right of the
                                      >>screen and the resolution is wrong.
                                      >>
                                      >>If I do modprobe nvidia NVreg_SoftEDIDs=0 NVreg_Mobile=0 and then
                                      >>startx, it works fine.
                                      >>
                                      >>I am guessing it tells the module to ignore what the system is telling
                                      >>it and just use the right resolution anyway. Not sure about the mobile
                                      >>flag, there must be something different with the dell chipsets, so
                                      >>that must tell it to use the GeForce 440 mobile editio perhaps.
                                      >>
                                      >>Like I say.. works on my Dell Inspiron 8200 with a GeForce440 Go and a
                                      >>1600x1200 UXGA panel.
                                      >>
                                      >>:-)
                                      >>

                                      >>--- In linux-dell-laptops@yahoogroups.com, "Demosthenes"
                                      >><aristotle@i...> wrote:
                                      >>
                                      >>>what I do this from a root console before I startx with the NVidia
                                      >>>driver configured to run in place of the 'nv' driver?
                                      >>>
                                      >>>How did it work for you? What does it do and why does it work?
                                      >>>
                                      >>>Thanks,
                                      >>>
                                      >>>Ian
                                      >>>
                                      >>>--- In linux-dell-laptops@yahoogroups.com, "sugaratias" <adam@t...>

                                    • Demosthenes
                                      Message 18 of 27 , Sep 15, 2005
                                        Hi All,

                                        Thanks for your help with my NVidia issues! Now I just have to work
                                        out how to make the nvidia-settings settings stick (such as vibrance,
                                        smoothing, etc) - I suppose I will take that to a dedicated NVidia
                                        driver group.

                                        Thanks a million everyone!!!

                                        Ian
                                      • sugaratias
                                        Message 19 of 27 , Sep 15, 2005
                                          Glad to be of service! :-)

                                          The same problem was driving me up the wall a short while ago..