Re: [linux-dell-laptops] Suse 9.3 not working on Dell Latitude D510...need help

  • Chris Fox
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 9, 2005
      scorpioltk wrote:

      > Hi.
      > I recently bought an Dell Latitude D510: M730 1,6 Ghz, 15" Xga, 512 mb
      > Ram, 49 GB hdd.
      > I tried installing Suse 9.3
      > After the installation completed and the first reboot ... the system
      > boots into Suse OK ... except that I can only see a black screen... I
      > hear the login sounds of Suse and everything...
      > I think I haven't set up the display correctly, because during install
      > Suse didn't seem to recognise my system as a Dell Latitude, for eg the
      > display was set as WESA 800x600.
      >
      > Can you please tell me which file I need to edit and of course what
      > lines, so that Suse will be confortable with my laptop's display?
      >
      > 10q for your support.

      Just a suggestion, trying hitting Ctrl-F7. It's possible that your
      screen is somehow on the wrong "terminal"; I've seen this in Mandrake
      before and had exactly those symptoms.
    • scorpioltk
      Message 2 of 5 , Sep 9, 2005
        No. That didn't solve it.
        :(

        --- In linux-dell-laptops@yahoogroups.com, Chris Fox <chrisfox8@c...>
        wrote:
        > scorpioltk wrote:
        >
        > > Hi.
        > > I recently bought an Dell Latitude D510: M730 1,6 Ghz, 15" Xga, 512 mb
        > > Ram, 49 GB hdd.
        > > I tried installing Suse 9.3
        > > After the installation completed and the first reboot ... the system
        > > boots into Suse OK ... except that I can only see a black screen... I
        > > hear the login sounds of Suse and everything...
        > > I think I haven't set up the display correctly, because during install
        > > Suse didn't seem to recognise my system as a Dell Latitude, for eg the
        > > display was set as WESA 800x600.
        > >
        > > Can you please tell me which file I need to edit and of course what
        > > lines, so that Suse will be confortable with my laptop's display?
        > >
        > > 10q for your support.
        >
        > Just a suggestion, trying hitting Ctrl-F7. It's possible that your
        > screen is somehow on the wrong "terminal"; I've seen this in Mandrake
        > before and had exactly those symptoms.
      • Casper Pedersen
        Message 3 of 5 , Sep 10, 2005
          Let me guss you're notebook have the intel gfx card. Either use the
          855resolution (installed), or this :
          http://www.c-note.dk/yum/d610-patch/d610-patch-0.1-1.i386.rpm

          You should load the d610-patch in /etc/init.d/boot.local

          Regards/Casper

          scorpioltk wrote:

          >Hi.
          >I recently bought an Dell Latitude D510: M730 1,6 Ghz, 15" Xga, 512 mb
          >Ram, 49 GB hdd.
          >I tried installing Suse 9.3
          >After the installation completed and the first reboot ... the system
          >boots into Suse OK ... except that I can only see a black screen... I
          >hear the login sounds of Suse and everything...
          >I think I haven't set up the display correctly, because during install
          >Suse didn't seem to recognise my system as a Dell Latitude, for eg the
          >display was set as WESA 800x600.
          >
          >Can you please tell me which file I need to edit and of course what
          >lines, so that Suse will be confortable with my laptop's display?
          >
          >10q for your support.
          >
          >Best regards,
          >Cosmin.

        • Olivier Berger
          Message 4 of 5 , Sep 17, 2005
            "scorpioltk" <scorpioltk@...> writes:

            > Hi.
            > I recently bought an Dell Latitude D510: M730 1,6 Ghz, 15" Xga, 512 mb
            > Ram, 49 GB hdd.
            > I tried installing Suse 9.3
            > After the installation completed and the first reboot ... the system
            > boots into Suse OK ... except that I can only see a black screen... I
            > hear the login sounds of Suse and everything...
            > I think I haven't set up the display correctly, because during install
            > Suse didn't seem to recognise my system as a Dell Latitude, for eg the
            > display was set as WESA 800x600.
            >
            > Can you please tell me which file I need to edit and of course what
            > lines, so that Suse will be confortable with my laptop's display?
            >
            > 10q for your support.

            Hi.

            Maybe you can find interesting details or pointers here :

            http://www-inf.int-evry.fr/~olberger/weblog/2005/08/24/debian-gnulinux-on-a-dell-latitude-d510-laptop/

            Hope this helps.

            Best regards,
            --
            Olivier BERGER (OpenPGP: 1024D/B4C5F37F)
            APRIL (http://www.april.org) - Vive python (http://www.python.org)