Re: [linux-dell-laptops] Re: garbled NVidia display - Dell 8200 Mandriva Linux (NVidia Driver Problem)

  • Gabriel
    Message 1 of 27 , Sep 3 6:59 AM
      Strange,

      I have pretty much the same configuration (I'm not sure what your video card is exactly, mine is a GeForce4 440Go) and it works fine, albeit with Mandrake 10.1.
      I have BIOS A11
      Do you have a docking station pluged in?
      Do you have an external monitor connected?
      What version of the NVidia driver are you using? (ie what file did you download from NVidia)
      Perhaps you could analyse the output of /var/log/Xorg.0.log - the xorg log file, it may tell you why it is choosing a lower resolution.
      Have you tried playing with Fn-F7 (I think that is the combination that changes the screen size)?

      Good luck.

      For what its worth, here is the output of lspci -vv on my video card:

      01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation NV17 [GeForce4 440 Go] (rev a3) (prog-if 00 [VGA])
      Subsystem: Dell: Unknown device 00d4
      Control: I/O+ Mem+ BusMaster+ SpecCycle- MemWINV- VGASnoop+ ParErr- Stepping- SERR- FastB2B-
      Command: RQ=32 ArqSz=0 Cal=0 SBA- AGP+ GART64- 64bit- FW- Rate=x4

    • Herman
      Message 2 of 27 , Sep 3 9:06 AM
        Demosthenes wrote:
        > Well I have updated the BIOS (if it was needed) and have tried 16 bit
        > colour resolution and still same problem. Something curious is that
        > the screen seems to think it is working with less - so if I move the
        > mouse to the far left or right or up or down the screen 'scrolls' - so
        > this indicates we may have a software issue? After all it works fine
        > with the standard 'nv' driver (although no hardware acceleration with
        > this right?).
        >
        > Photos of my screen are uploaded in the photos section of this
        > discussion group under a folder called 'problems'.
        >
        > Screen is 1600x1200 LCD native resolution 24 bit colour I believe.
        >
        > I am running Mandriva 2005 'download' or limited edition.

        Laptops usually have weird display hardware. If the NV driver won't work
        properly, try VESA with 15 bit colour. That should give you a usable
        display. Once you have a basic display, you'll have to get the latest
        NV driver from Nvidia and install that.

        Maybe have a look at this guide:
        http://www.aerospacesoftware.com/fubar-howto.html

        Cheers,

        H.
      • Demosthenes
        Message 3 of 27 , Sep 10 1:05 AM
          I will post an output of lspci as you have done as well and compare
          it. both my screen and graphics chip have been replaced by Dell while
          my laptop was under extended warranty (screen because it was wearing
          out - chip because I was getting crashes under XP and they suggested
          changing it) so I hope something has not gone wrong there. It did run
          fine under Mandrake when I first got it (9 or 10)? I recall..

          No docking station, no external monitor. I downloaded the driver
          straight off the NVidia site only a week ago.

          --- In linux-dell-laptops@yahoogroups.com, Gabriel <ggali_66@s...> wrote:
          > Strange,
          >
          > I have pretty much the same configuration (I'm not sure what your
          video card is exactly, mine is a GeForce4 440Go) and it works fine,
          albeit with Mandrake 10.1.
          > I have BIOS A11
          > Do you have a docking station pluged in?
          > Do you have an external monitor connected?
          > What version of the NVidia driver are you using? (ie what file did
          you download from NVidia)
          > Perhaps you could analyse the output of /var/log/Xorg.0.log - the
          xorg log file, it may tell you why it is choosing a lower resolution.
          > Have you tried playing with Fn-F7 (I think that is the combination
          that changes the screen size)?

          > Good luck.
          >

          > For what its worth, here is the output of lspci -vv on my video card:
          >
          > 01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation NV17 [GeForce4
          440 Go] (rev a3) (prog-if 00 [VGA])
          > Subsystem: Dell: Unknown device 00d4
          > Control: I/O+ Mem+ BusMaster+ SpecCycle- MemWINV- VGASnoop+
          ParErr- Stepping- SERR- FastB2B-
          >TAbort- <TAbort- <MAbort- >SERR- <PERR-
          > Latency: 248 (1250ns min, 250ns max)
          > Interrupt: pin A routed to IRQ 11
          > Region 0: Memory at fc000000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable)
          [size=16M]
          > Region 1: Memory at e0000000 (32-bit, prefetchable) [size=128M]
          > Region 2: Memory at dff80000 (32-bit, prefetchable) [size=512K]
          > Expansion ROM at 80000000 [disabled] [size=128K]
          > Capabilities: [60] Power Management version 2
          > Flags: PMEClk- DSI- D1- D2- AuxCurrent=0mA
          PME(D0-,D1-,D2-,D3hot-,D3cold-)
          GART64- HTrans- 64bit- FW+ AGP3- Rate=x1,x2,x4

        • Demosthenes
          Message 4 of 27 , Sep 10 1:08 AM
            --- In linux-dell-laptops@yahoogroups.com, Herman <herman@a...> wrote:

            > Laptops usually have weird display hardware. If the NV driver won't
            work
            > properly, try VESA with 15 bit colour. That should give you a usable
            > display. Once you have a basic display, you'll have to get the latest
            > NV driver from Nvidia and install that.
            >
            > Maybe have a look at this guide:
            > http://www.aerospacesoftware.com/fubar-howto.html
            >
            > Cheers,
            >
            > H.

            The funny thing is that the standard nv driver installed by Mandriva
            works fine - albeit with no 3D acceleration - so I have a basic
            display that puts strain on the CPU to manage the GUI so it's a little
            slower and I would really like to use the graphics hardware under Linux.
          • Alexandre Tessier
            Message 5 of 27 , Sep 12 1:12 AM
              Demosthenes wrote:
              > --- In linux-dell-laptops@yahoogroups.com, Herman <herman@a...> wrote:
              >

              >>Laptops usually have weird display hardware. If the NV driver won't
              >
              > work
              >
              >>properly, try VESA with 15 bit colour. That should give you a usable
              >>display. Once you have a basic display, you'll have to get the latest
              >>NV driver from Nvidia and install that.
              >>
              >>Maybe have a look at this guide:
              >>http://www.aerospacesoftware.com/fubar-howto.html
              >>
              >>Cheers,
              >>
              >>H.
              >

              > The funny thing is that the standard nv driver installed by Mandriva
              > works fine - albeit with no 3D acceleration - so I have a basic
              > display that puts strain on the CPU to manage the GUI so it's a little
              > slower and I would really like to use the graphics hardware under Linux.

              The 'nv' driver installed by Mandriva is not the nvidia driver. It is
              the XFree/Xorg driver for nvidia cards. The nvidia driver is called
              'nvidia'. If you want it, you can either download from nvidia
              (http://www.nvidia.fr/object/linux_fr.html or
              http://www.nvidia.co.uk/object/unix.html) or you can install Mandriva
              PowerPack (the powerpack distribution adds ati and nvidia driver to the
              download edition).

              Alex.
            • Gabriel
              Message 6 of 27 , Sep 12 2:40 AM
                I would:

                1st - try the PowerPack as Alexandre suggests in an another post (you may first have to uninstall your NVidia drivers before installing the PowerPack), as Mandriva may well have sorted out these problems for you.

                If that fails then investigate:

                Run the program:
                # nvidia-bug-report.sh
                Which will produce the file:
                nvidia-bug-report.log
                ... for investigative purposes.

                If the above program fails then these files should be of help:
                /var/log/Xorg.0.log
                The X config file (they are so many potential config files, the best is to check the log file above to know _which one_ is used).
                xdpyinfo
                lsmod
                dmesg
                lspci -vv
                lspci -vvn

                Also the NVidia README.txt file is a good read, the file should be in:
                /usr/share/doc/NVIDIA*/README.txt

                If the above don't mean much to you post them and hopefully we may be able to sort it out ....

                Cheers,
                Gabriel.

              • Demosthenes
                Message 7 of 27 , Sep 14 5:15 AM
                  Thanks Alex - I just want to make sure that the NVidia driver actually
                  works on my machine before I buy the power pack or pay for a club
                  membership. I know the nv driver is a software only driver which is
                  the problem.

                  I downloaded the official driver from the NVidia site although it
                  compiled itself against installed kernel headers which appear to match
                  my kernel version. The Nvidia .run file complained there was no
                  matching 'kernel interface' so had to compile from scratch. I don't
                  know if that has anything to do with it. I think some years ago, there
                  used to be .rpm files or .rpm source files available - I can't remember.

                  For people new to this discussion - I have uploaded images of my
                  display problem in the 'pics' directory of this discussion group.

                  Does anyone have an .rpm file or something I can install to try that
                  instead of the 'self compiling' NVidia driver.

                  --- In linux-dell-laptops@yahoogroups.com, Alexandre Tessier
                  <Alexandre.Tessier@l...> wrote:
                  > The 'nv' driver installed by Mandriva is not the nvidia driver. It is
                  > the XFree/Xorg driver for nvidia cards. The nvidia driver is called
                  > 'nvidia'. If you want it, you can either download from nvidia
                  > (http://www.nvidia.fr/object/linux_fr.html or
                  > http://www.nvidia.co.uk/object/unix.html) or you can install Mandriva
                  > PowerPack (the powerpack distribution adds ati and nvidia driver to
                  the
                  > download edition).
                  >
                  > Alex.
                • Demosthenes
                  Message 8 of 27 , Sep 14 5:17 AM
                    Thanks..

                    The Power Pack is a little expensive in Australian currency I
                    believe (can't download?) and part of this is that I need to ensure
                    that my graphics hardware is compatible before purchasing.

                    I will try the rest as outlined below, I really do appreciate the
                    help guys.

                    Ian

                    wrote:
> [...]
                    > > [size=16M]
                    > > > Region 1: Memory at e0000000 (32-bit, prefetchable)
                    [size=128M]
                    > > > Region 2: Memory at dff80000 (32-bit, prefetchable)
                    [size=512K]
                    > > > Expansion ROM at 80000000 [disabled] [size=128K]
                    > > > Capabilities: [60] Power Management version 2
                    > > > Flags: PMEClk- DSI- D1- D2- AuxCurrent=0mA
                    > > PME(D0-,D1-,D2-,D3hot-,D3cold-)
                    > > GART64- HTrans- 64bit- FW+ AGP3- Rate=x1,x2,x4
                    > > > Command: RQ=32 ArqSz=0 Cal=0 SBA- AGP+ GART64-
                    > > 64bit- FW- Rate=x4

                    > > some
                    Linux
                    > > there.

                    Edition

                    > > laptop and
                    > > presented
                    > > right hand
                    > > hold on

                    Option "ConnectedMonitor" "scrTV, scrLCD"

                  • sugaratias
                    Message 9 of 27 , Sep 14 5:45 AM
                      modprobe nvidia NVreg_SoftEDIDs=0 NVreg_Mobile=0

                      It worked for me!
                    • Alexandre Tessier
                      Message 10 of 27 , Sep 15 12:49 AM
                        Here are the 3 rpm found with 'rpm -qa | grep -i nvidia':
                        http://www.univ-orleans.fr/SCIENCES/LIFO/Members/tessier/NVIDIA/
                        I have put also some examples of xorg.conf files.
                        I hope they will work with Mandriva download edition...
                        Tell me if you need other rpm.
                        Tell me also when you have downloaded the files because I would like to
                        delete them.

                        Alex.

                        Demosthenes wrote:
                        > Thanks Alex - I just want to make sure that the NVidia driver actually
                        > works on my machine before I buy the power pack or pay for a club
                        > membership. I know the nv driver is a software only driver which is
                        > the problem.
                        >
                        > I downloaded the official driver from the NVidia site although it
                        > compiled itself against installed kernel headers which appear to match
                        > my kernel version. The Nvidia .run file complained there was no
                        > matching 'kernel interface' so had to compile from scratch. I don't
                        > know if that has anything to do with it. I think some years ago, there
                        > used to be .rpm files or .rpm source files available - I can't remember.
                        >
                        > For people new to this discussion - I have uploaded images of my
                        > display problem in the 'pics' directory of this discussion group.
                        >
                        > Does anyone have an .rpm file or something I can install to try that
                        > instead of the 'self compiling' NVidia driver.
                        >
                        > --- In linux-dell-laptops@yahoogroups.com, Alexandre Tessier
                        > <Alexandre.Tessier@l...> wrote:
                        >
                        >>The 'nv' driver installed by Mandriva is not the nvidia driver. It is
                        >>the XFree/Xorg driver for nvidia cards. The nvidia driver is called
                        >>'nvidia'. If you want it, you can either download from nvidia
                        >>(http://www.nvidia.fr/object/linux_fr.html or
                        >>http://www.nvidia.co.uk/object/unix.html) or you can install Mandriva
                        >>PowerPack (the powerpack distribution adds ati and nvidia driver to
                        >
                        > the
                        >
                        >>download edition).
                        >>
                        >>Alex.

                        http://www.univ-orleans.fr/SCIENCES/LIFO/Members/tessier/
                        tel LIFO: +33 (0)238494670 tel IUFM: +33 (0)238798417
                      • Demosthenes
                        Message 11 of 27 , Sep 15 4:27 AM
                          what I do this from a root console before I startx with the NVidia
                          driver configured to run in place of the 'nv' driver?

                          How did it work for you? What does it do and why does it work?

                          Thanks,

                          Ian

                          --- In linux-dell-laptops@yahoogroups.com, "sugaratias" <adam@t...>
                          wrote:
                          > modprobe nvidia NVreg_SoftEDIDs=0 NVreg_Mobile=0
                          >
                          > It worked for me!
                        • Demosthenes
                          Message 12 of 27 , Sep 15 4:30 AM
                            thanks I will download on to my Linux partition shortly..

                            Will these work for the standard Mandriva Download Kernel and will I
                            have to recompile and change everything if I upgrade the kernel and
                            kernel source? So I just unintstall the nvidia.run file compiled
                            driver (with some uninstall option I presume) and then install these
                            files?

                            Will these xfonfig files work with 1600x1200?

                            Thanks,

                            Ian

                            Message 13 of 27 , Sep 15 5:08 AM
                              Yes, before you startx.

                              Have xorg.conf set to use the nvidia driver.

                              Then you need to load the nvidia module. If I just do modprobe nvidia
                              and then startx I get lots of coloured lines down the right of the
                              screen and the resolution is wrong.

                              If I do modprobe nvidia NVreg_SoftEDIDs=0 NVreg_Mobile=0 and then
                              startx, it works fine.

                              I am guessing it tells the module to ignore what the system is telling
                              it and just use the right resolution anyway. Not sure about the mobile
                              flag, there must be something different with the dell chipsets, so
                              that must tell it to use the GeForce 440 mobile editio perhaps.

                              Like I say.. works on my Dell Inspiron 8200 with a GeForce440 Go and a
                              1600x1200 UXGA panel.

                              :-)

                              <aristotle@i...> wrote:
                              > what I do this from a root console before I startx with the NVidia
                              > driver configured to run in place of the 'nv' driver?
                              >
                              > How did it work for you? What does it do and why does it work?
                              >
                              > Thanks,
                              >
                              > Ian
                              >
                              > --- In linux-dell-laptops@yahoogroups.com, "sugaratias" <adam@t...>
                              > wrote:
                              > > modprobe nvidia NVreg_SoftEDIDs=0 NVreg_Mobile=0
                              > >
                              > > It worked for me!
                            • Demosthenes
                              Message 14 of 27 , Sep 15 6:04 AM
                                thanks.. I received an error about symbols or something - although
                                I am sure I have a kernel and matching kernel source - and in the
                                log file something about those parameters not being recognised.

                                I thought I had copied the logs across to a floppy disk although
                                they have not copied (I am back in XP - argh - will reboot now).

                                However, I will try again, and how can I have this happen on startup
                                automatically? Great to hear someone else has the same problem!
                                How obscure! Did you look at my the images I have uploaded in to
                                the Photos directory of this group and you have the same problem?

                                wrote:
                                > Yes, before you startx.
                                >
                                > Have xorg.conf set to use the nvidia driver.
                                >
                                > Then you need to load the nvidia module. If I just do modprobe
                                nvidia
                                > and then startx I get lots of coloured lines down the right of the
                                > screen and the resolution is wrong.
                                >
                                > If I do modprobe nvidia NVreg_SoftEDIDs=0 NVreg_Mobile=0 and then
                                > startx, it works fine.
                                >
                                > I am guessing it tells the module to ignore what the system is
                                telling
                                > it and just use the right resolution anyway. Not sure about the
                                mobile
                                > flag, there must be something different with the dell chipsets, so
                                > that must tell it to use the GeForce 440 mobile editio perhaps.
                                >
                                > Like I say.. works on my Dell Inspiron 8200 with a GeForce440 Go
                                and a
                                > 1600x1200 UXGA panel.
                                >
                                > :-)
                                >

                                > --- In linux-dell-laptops@yahoogroups.com, "Demosthenes"
                                > <aristotle@i...> wrote:
                                > > what I do this from a root console before I startx with the
                                NVidia
                                > > driver configured to run in place of the 'nv' driver?
                                > >
                                > > How did it work for you? What does it do and why does it work?
                                > >
                                > > Thanks,
                                > >
                                > > Ian
                                > >
                                > > --- In linux-dell-laptops@yahoogroups.com, "sugaratias"
                                <adam@t...>
                                > > wrote:
                                > > > modprobe nvidia NVreg_SoftEDIDs=0 NVreg_Mobile=0
                                > > >
                                > > > It worked for me!
                              • Demosthenes
                                Message 15 of 27 , Sep 15 6:05 AM
                                  where are these options detailed? I could not find them in the
                                  readme file.

                                  wrote:
                                  > Yes, before you startx.
                                  >
                                  > Have xorg.conf set to use the nvidia driver.
                                  >
                                  > Then you need to load the nvidia module. If I just do modprobe
                                  nvidia
                                  > and then startx I get lots of coloured lines down the right of the
                                  > screen and the resolution is wrong.
                                  >
                                  > If I do modprobe nvidia NVreg_SoftEDIDs=0 NVreg_Mobile=0 and then
                                  > startx, it works fine.
                                  >
                                  > I am guessing it tells the module to ignore what the system is
                                  telling
                                  > it and just use the right resolution anyway. Not sure about the
                                  mobile
                                  > flag, there must be something different with the dell chipsets, so
                                  > that must tell it to use the GeForce 440 mobile editio perhaps.
                                  >
                                  > Like I say.. works on my Dell Inspiron 8200 with a GeForce440 Go
                                  and a
                                  > 1600x1200 UXGA panel.
                                  >
                                  > :-)
                                  >

                                  > --- In linux-dell-laptops@yahoogroups.com, "Demosthenes"
                                  > <aristotle@i...> wrote:
                                  > > what I do this from a root console before I startx with the
                                  NVidia
                                  > > driver configured to run in place of the 'nv' driver?
                                  > >
                                  > > How did it work for you? What does it do and why does it work?
                                  > >
                                  > > Thanks,
                                  > >
                                  > > Ian
                                  > >
                                  > > --- In linux-dell-laptops@yahoogroups.com, "sugaratias"
                                  <adam@t...>
                                  > > wrote:
                                  > > > modprobe nvidia NVreg_SoftEDIDs=0 NVreg_Mobile=0
                                  > > >
                                  > > > It worked for me!
                                • Demosthenes
                                  Message 16 of 27 , Sep 15 6:06 AM
                                    have downloaded now - thanks! although same problem but much
                                    appreciated anyhow.

                                    Message 17 of 27 , Sep 15 6:07 AM
                                      BTW - there was something in the xfree log (warning) about refresh
                                      rates being disregarded for something else.. interesting and
                                      perhaps this is the problem you are having.

                                      wrote:
                                      > Yes, before you startx.
                                      >
                                      > Have xorg.conf set to use the nvidia driver.
                                      >
                                      > Then you need to load the nvidia module. If I just do modprobe
                                      nvidia
                                      > and then startx I get lots of coloured lines down the right of the
                                      > screen and the resolution is wrong.
                                      >
                                      > If I do modprobe nvidia NVreg_SoftEDIDs=0 NVreg_Mobile=0 and then
                                      > startx, it works fine.
                                      >
                                      > I am guessing it tells the module to ignore what the system is
                                      telling
                                      > it and just use the right resolution anyway. Not sure about the
                                      mobile
                                      > flag, there must be something different with the dell chipsets, so
                                      > that must tell it to use the GeForce 440 mobile editio perhaps.
                                      >
                                      > Like I say.. works on my Dell Inspiron 8200 with a GeForce440 Go
                                      and a
                                      > 1600x1200 UXGA panel.
                                      >
                                      > :-)
                                      >

                                      > --- In linux-dell-laptops@yahoogroups.com, "Demosthenes"
                                      > <aristotle@i...> wrote:
                                      > > what I do this from a root console before I startx with the
                                      NVidia
                                      > > driver configured to run in place of the 'nv' driver?
                                      > >
                                      > > How did it work for you? What does it do and why does it work?
                                      > >
                                      > > Thanks,
                                      > >
                                      > > Ian
                                      > >
                                      > > --- In linux-dell-laptops@yahoogroups.com, "sugaratias"
                                      <adam@t...>
                                      > > wrote:
                                      > > > modprobe nvidia NVreg_SoftEDIDs=0 NVreg_Mobile=0
                                      > > >
                                      > > > It worked for me!
                                    • Demosthenes
                                      Message 18 of 27 , Sep 15 6:26 AM
                                        you LEGEND!!!!! It is now working GREAT!!! I just played my first game
                                        of Chromium and I am a happy man and I will spread the word about this
                                        fix and buy myself membership to the Mandriva Club to support Mandriva.

                                        I may have more questionsa bout configuration - can I email you directly?

                                        Firstly, how can I have this boot with these options each time? At
                                        the moment Mandriva boots straight in to X each time, so how can I
                                        reconfigure to boot with these options set? Can I put them in the
                                        XConfig file?

                                        So it was something about the refresh rates after all.

                                        Well done!!!!

                                        Kind Regards and Sincere Appreciation,

                                        Ian
                                        (Adelaide, South Australia)

                                        --- In linux-dell-laptops@yahoogroups.com, "sugaratias" <adam@t...> wrote:
                                        > Yes, before you startx.
                                        >
                                        > Have xorg.conf set to use the nvidia driver.
                                        >
                                        > Then you need to load the nvidia module. If I just do modprobe nvidia
                                        > and then startx I get lots of coloured lines down the right of the
                                        > screen and the resolution is wrong.
                                        >
                                        > If I do modprobe nvidia NVreg_SoftEDIDs=0 NVreg_Mobile=0 and then
                                        > startx, it works fine.
                                        >
                                        > I am guessing it tells the module to ignore what the system is telling
                                        > it and just use the right resolution anyway. Not sure about the mobile
                                        > flag, there must be something different with the dell chipsets, so
                                        > that must tell it to use the GeForce 440 mobile editio perhaps.
                                        >
                                        > Like I say.. works on my Dell Inspiron 8200 with a GeForce440 Go and a
                                        > 1600x1200 UXGA panel.
                                        >
                                        > :-)
                                        >

                                        > --- In linux-dell-laptops@yahoogroups.com, "Demosthenes"
                                        > <aristotle@i...> wrote:
                                        > > what I do this from a root console before I startx with the NVidia
                                        > > driver configured to run in place of the 'nv' driver?
                                        > >
                                        > > How did it work for you? What does it do and why does it work?
                                        > >
                                        > > Thanks,
                                        > >
                                        > > Ian
                                        > >
                                        > > --- In linux-dell-laptops@yahoogroups.com, "sugaratias" <adam@t...>
                                        > > wrote:
                                        > > > modprobe nvidia NVreg_SoftEDIDs=0 NVreg_Mobile=0
                                        > > >
                                        > > > It worked for me!
                                      • Herman
                                        Message 19 of 27 , Sep 15 6:43 AM
                                          A good place to add boot options is at the bottom of /etc/rc.d/rc.local

                                          That is the last file to run, before X starts up.

                                          Cheers,

                                          H.

                                          Demosthenes wrote:
                                          > you LEGEND!!!!! It is now working GREAT!!! I just played my first game
                                          > of Chromium and I am a happy man and I will spread the word about this
                                          > fix and buy myself membership to the Mandriva Club to support Mandriva.
                                          >
                                          > I may have more questionsa bout configuration - can I email you directly?
                                          >
                                          > Firstly, how can I have this boot with these options each time? At
                                          > the moment Mandriva boots straight in to X each time, so how can I
                                          > reconfigure to boot with these options set? Can I put them in the
                                          > XConfig file?
                                          >
                                          > So it was something about the refresh rates after all.
                                          >
                                          > Well done!!!!
                                          >
                                          > Kind Regards and Sincere Appreciation,
                                          >
                                          > Ian
                                          > (Adelaide, South Australia)
                                          >
                                          > --- In linux-dell-laptops@yahoogroups.com, "sugaratias" <adam@t...> wrote:
                                          >
                                          >>Yes, before you startx.
                                          >>
                                          >>Have xorg.conf set to use the nvidia driver.
                                          >>
                                          >>Then you need to load the nvidia module. If I just do modprobe nvidia
                                          >>and then startx I get lots of coloured lines down the right of the
                                          >>screen and the resolution is wrong.
                                          >>
                                          >>If I do modprobe nvidia NVreg_SoftEDIDs=0 NVreg_Mobile=0 and then
                                          >>startx, it works fine.
                                          >>
                                          >>I am guessing it tells the module to ignore what the system is telling
                                          >>it and just use the right resolution anyway. Not sure about the mobile
                                          >>flag, there must be something different with the dell chipsets, so
                                          >>that must tell it to use the GeForce 440 mobile editio perhaps.
                                          >>
                                          >>Like I say.. works on my Dell Inspiron 8200 with a GeForce440 Go and a
                                          >>1600x1200 UXGA panel.
                                          >>
                                          >>:-)
                                          >>

                                          >>--- In linux-dell-laptops@yahoogroups.com, "Demosthenes"
                                          >><aristotle@i...> wrote:
                                          >>
                                          >>>what I do this from a root console before I startx with the NVidia
                                          >>>driver configured to run in place of the 'nv' driver?
                                          >>>
                                          >>>How did it work for you? What does it do and why does it work?
                                          >>>
                                          >>>Thanks,
                                          >>>
                                          >>>Ian
                                          >>>
                                          >>>--- In linux-dell-laptops@yahoogroups.com, "sugaratias" <adam@t...>

                                        • Demosthenes
                                          Message 20 of 27 , Sep 15 6:59 AM
                                            Hi All,

                                            Thanks for your help with my NVidia issues! Now I just have to work
                                            out how to make the nvidia-settings settings stick (such as vibrance,
                                            smoothing, etc) - I suppose I will take that to a dedicated NVidia
                                            driver group.

                                            Thanks a million everyone!!!

                                            Ian
                                          • sugaratias
                                            Message 21 of 27 , Sep 15 9:59 AM
                                              Glad to be of service! :-)

                                              The same problem was driving me up the wall a short while ago..