Re: garbled NVidia display - Dell 8200 Mandriva Linux (NVidia Driver Problem)

  • Demosthenes
    Message 1 of 27 , Sep 2, 2005
      Leonardo,

      Thank you for the xorg.conf file. I had to add some comments in some
      lines and remove some carriage returns after I pasted this to a text
      file and copied it across from my Windows partition to my Linux
      partition. X then started up fine although the same problem is there.
      I took another photo and will post it up although I suspect nothing
      has changed.

      I am almost certain I have the latest BIOS and the display seems to
      work fine under Windows XP SP2. I hope I do not have a hardware
      problem though!!!! The display in Linux works 'fine' with the
      standard Nvidia driver that ships with Mandriva Limited Edition
      (download) although no hardware graphics support which sucks. It
      really slows the machine down to use a GUI with it.

      So it may be unlikely I have a hardware problem and hardware
      diagnostics a month ago showed up nothing.

      The only thing I can think of that is curious is that the driver
      complained that there was no 'kernel interface' for my system so it
      compiled another against the Kernel source files I installed off the DVD.

      Any thoughts - anyone??

      --- In linux-dell-laptops@yahoogroups.com, Leonardo Diaz

    • Demosthenes
      Message 2 of 27 , Sep 3, 2005
        Well I have updated the BIOS (if it was needed) and have tried 16 bit
        colour resolution and still same problem. Something curious is that
        the screen seems to think it is working with less - so if I move the
        mouse to the far left or right or up or down the screen 'scrolls' - so
        this indicates we may have a software issue? After all it works fine
        with the standard 'nv' driver (although no hardware acceleration with
        this right?).

        Photos of my screen are uploaded in the photos section of this
        discussion group under a folder called 'problems'.

        Screen is 1600x1200 LCD native resolution 24 bit colour I believe.

        I am running Mandriva 2005 'download' or limited edition.

        --- In linux-dell-laptops@yahoogroups.com, "Demosthenes"

      • Gabriel
        Message 3 of 27 , Sep 3, 2005
          Strange,

          I have pretty much the same configuration (I'm not sure what your video card is exactly, mine is a GeForce4 440Go) and it works fine, albeit with Mandrake 10.1.
          I have BIOS A11
          Do you have a docking station pluged in?
          Do you have an external monitor connected?
          What version of the NVidia driver are you using? (ie what file did you download from NVidia)
          Perhaps you could analyse the output of /var/log/Xorg.0.log - the xorg log file, it may tell you why it is choosing a lower resolution.
          Have you tried playing with Fn-F7 (I think that is the combination that changes the screen size)?

          Good luck.

          For what its worth, here is the output of lspci -vv on my video card:

          01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation NV17 [GeForce4 440 Go] (rev a3) (prog-if 00 [VGA])
          Subsystem: Dell: Unknown device 00d4
          Control: I/O+ Mem+ BusMaster+ SpecCycle- MemWINV- VGASnoop+ ParErr- Stepping- SERR- FastB2B-
          Command: RQ=32 ArqSz=0 Cal=0 SBA- AGP+ GART64- 64bit- FW- Rate=x4

        • Herman
          Message 4 of 27 , Sep 3, 2005
            Demosthenes wrote:
            > Well I have updated the BIOS (if it was needed) and have tried 16 bit
            > colour resolution and still same problem. Something curious is that
            > the screen seems to think it is working with less - so if I move the
            > mouse to the far left or right or up or down the screen 'scrolls' - so
            > this indicates we may have a software issue? After all it works fine
            > with the standard 'nv' driver (although no hardware acceleration with
            > this right?).
            >
            > Photos of my screen are uploaded in the photos section of this
            > discussion group under a folder called 'problems'.
            >
            > Screen is 1600x1200 LCD native resolution 24 bit colour I believe.
            >
            > I am running Mandriva 2005 'download' or limited edition.

            Laptops usually have weird display hardware. If the NV driver won't work
            properly, try VESA with 15 bit colour. That should give you a usable
            display. Once you have a basic display, you'll have to get the latest
            NV driver from Nvidia and install that.

            Maybe have a look at this guide:
            http://www.aerospacesoftware.com/fubar-howto.html

            Cheers,

            H.
          • Demosthenes
            Message 5 of 27 , Sep 10, 2005
              I will post an output of lspci as you have done as well and compare
              it. both my screen and graphics chip have been replaced by Dell while
              my laptop was under extended warranty (screen because it was wearing
              out - chip because I was getting crashes under XP and they suggested
              changing it) so I hope something has not gone wrong there. It did run
              fine under Mandrake when I first got it (9 or 10)? I recall..

              No docking station, no external monitor. I downloaded the driver
              straight off the NVidia site only a week ago.

              --- In linux-dell-laptops@yahoogroups.com, Gabriel <ggali_66@s...> wrote:
              > Strange,
              >
              > I have pretty much the same configuration (I'm not sure what your
              video card is exactly, mine is a GeForce4 440Go) and it works fine,
              albeit with Mandrake 10.1.
              > I have BIOS A11
              > Do you have a docking station pluged in?
              > Do you have an external monitor connected?
              > What version of the NVidia driver are you using? (ie what file did
              you download from NVidia)
              > Perhaps you could analyse the output of /var/log/Xorg.0.log - the
              xorg log file, it may tell you why it is choosing a lower resolution.
              > Have you tried playing with Fn-F7 (I think that is the combination
              that changes the screen size)?

              > Good luck.
              >

              > For what its worth, here is the output of lspci -vv on my video card:
              >
              > 01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation NV17 [GeForce4
              440 Go] (rev a3) (prog-if 00 [VGA])
              > Subsystem: Dell: Unknown device 00d4
              > Control: I/O+ Mem+ BusMaster+ SpecCycle- MemWINV- VGASnoop+
              ParErr- Stepping- SERR- FastB2B-
              >TAbort- <TAbort- <MAbort- >SERR- <PERR-
              > Latency: 248 (1250ns min, 250ns max)
              > Interrupt: pin A routed to IRQ 11
              > Region 0: Memory at fc000000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable)
              [size=16M]
              > Region 1: Memory at e0000000 (32-bit, prefetchable) [size=128M]
              > Region 2: Memory at dff80000 (32-bit, prefetchable) [size=512K]
              > Expansion ROM at 80000000 [disabled] [size=128K]
              > Capabilities: [60] Power Management version 2
              > Flags: PMEClk- DSI- D1- D2- AuxCurrent=0mA
              PME(D0-,D1-,D2-,D3hot-,D3cold-)
              GART64- HTrans- 64bit- FW+ AGP3- Rate=x1,x2,x4

            • Demosthenes
              Message 6 of 27 , Sep 10, 2005
                --- In linux-dell-laptops@yahoogroups.com, Herman <herman@a...> wrote:

                > Laptops usually have weird display hardware. If the NV driver won't
                work
                > properly, try VESA with 15 bit colour. That should give you a usable
                > display. Once you have a basic display, you'll have to get the latest
                > NV driver from Nvidia and install that.
                >
                > Maybe have a look at this guide:
                > http://www.aerospacesoftware.com/fubar-howto.html
                >
                > Cheers,
                >
                > H.

                The funny thing is that the standard nv driver installed by Mandriva
                works fine - albeit with no 3D acceleration - so I have a basic
                display that puts strain on the CPU to manage the GUI so it's a little
                slower and I would really like to use the graphics hardware under Linux.
              • Alexandre Tessier
                Message 7 of 27 , Sep 12, 2005
                  Demosthenes wrote:
                  > --- In linux-dell-laptops@yahoogroups.com, Herman <herman@a...> wrote:
                  >

                  >>Laptops usually have weird display hardware. If the NV driver won't
                  >
                  > work
                  >
                  >>properly, try VESA with 15 bit colour. That should give you a usable
                  >>display. Once you have a basic display, you'll have to get the latest
                  >>NV driver from Nvidia and install that.
                  >>
                  >>Maybe have a look at this guide:
                  >>http://www.aerospacesoftware.com/fubar-howto.html
                  >>
                  >>Cheers,
                  >>
                  >>H.
                  >

                  > The funny thing is that the standard nv driver installed by Mandriva
                  > works fine - albeit with no 3D acceleration - so I have a basic
                  > display that puts strain on the CPU to manage the GUI so it's a little
                  > slower and I would really like to use the graphics hardware under Linux.

                  The 'nv' driver installed by Mandriva is not the nvidia driver. It is
                  the XFree/Xorg driver for nvidia cards. The nvidia driver is called
                  'nvidia'. If you want it, you can either download from nvidia
                  (http://www.nvidia.fr/object/linux_fr.html or
                  http://www.nvidia.co.uk/object/unix.html) or you can install Mandriva
                  PowerPack (the powerpack distribution adds ati and nvidia driver to the
                  download edition).

                  Alex.
                • Gabriel
                  Message 8 of 27 , Sep 12, 2005
                    I would:

                    1st - try the PowerPack as Alexandre suggests in an another post (you may first have to uninstall your NVidia drivers before installing the PowerPack), as Mandriva may well have sorted out these problems for you.

                    If that fails then investigate:

                    Run the program:
                    # nvidia-bug-report.sh
                    Which will produce the file:
                    nvidia-bug-report.log
                    ... for investigative purposes.

                    If the above program fails then these files should be of help:
                    /var/log/Xorg.0.log
                    The X config file (they are so many potential config files, the best is to check the log file above to know _which one_ is used).
                    xdpyinfo
                    lsmod
                    dmesg
                    lspci -vv
                    lspci -vvn

                    Also the NVidia README.txt file is a good read, the file should be in:
                    /usr/share/doc/NVIDIA*/README.txt

                    If the above don't mean much to you post them and hopefully we may be able to sort it out ....

                    Cheers,
                    Gabriel.

                  • Demosthenes
                    Message 9 of 27 , Sep 14, 2005
                      Thanks Alex - I just want to make sure that the NVidia driver actually
                      works on my machine before I buy the power pack or pay for a club
                      membership. I know the nv driver is a software only driver which is
                      the problem.

                      I downloaded the official driver from the NVidia site although it
                      compiled itself against installed kernel headers which appear to match
                      my kernel version. The Nvidia .run file complained there was no
                      matching 'kernel interface' so had to compile from scratch. I don't
                      know if that has anything to do with it. I think some years ago, there
                      used to be .rpm files or .rpm source files available - I can't remember.

                      For people new to this discussion - I have uploaded images of my
                      display problem in the 'pics' directory of this discussion group.

                      Does anyone have an .rpm file or something I can install to try that
                      instead of the 'self compiling' NVidia driver.

                      --- In linux-dell-laptops@yahoogroups.com, Alexandre Tessier
                      <Alexandre.Tessier@l...> wrote:
                      > The 'nv' driver installed by Mandriva is not the nvidia driver. It is
                      > the XFree/Xorg driver for nvidia cards. The nvidia driver is called
                      > 'nvidia'. If you want it, you can either download from nvidia
                      > (http://www.nvidia.fr/object/linux_fr.html or
                      > http://www.nvidia.co.uk/object/unix.html) or you can install Mandriva
                      > PowerPack (the powerpack distribution adds ati and nvidia driver to
                      the
                      > download edition).
                      >
                      > Alex.
                    • Demosthenes
                      Message 10 of 27 , Sep 14, 2005
                        Thanks..

                        The Power Pack is a little expensive in Australian currency I
                        believe (can't download?) and part of this is that I need to ensure
                        that my graphics hardware is compatible before purchasing.

                        I will try the rest as outlined below, I really do appreciate the
                        help guys.

                        Ian

                        wrote:
> [...]
                        > > [size=16M]
                        > > > Region 1: Memory at e0000000 (32-bit, prefetchable)
                        [size=128M]
                        > > > Region 2: Memory at dff80000 (32-bit, prefetchable)
                        [size=512K]
                        > > > Expansion ROM at 80000000 [disabled] [size=128K]
                        > > > Capabilities: [60] Power Management version 2
                        > > > Flags: PMEClk- DSI- D1- D2- AuxCurrent=0mA
                        > > PME(D0-,D1-,D2-,D3hot-,D3cold-)
                        > > GART64- HTrans- 64bit- FW+ AGP3- Rate=x1,x2,x4
                        > > > Command: RQ=32 ArqSz=0 Cal=0 SBA- AGP+ GART64-
                        > > 64bit- FW- Rate=x4

                        > > some
                        Linux
                        > > there.

                        Edition

                        > > laptop and
                        > > presented
                        > > right hand
                        > > hold on

                        Option "ConnectedMonitor" "scrTV, scrLCD"

                      • sugaratias
                        Message 11 of 27 , Sep 14, 2005
                          modprobe nvidia NVreg_SoftEDIDs=0 NVreg_Mobile=0

                          It worked for me!
                        • Alexandre Tessier
                          Message 12 of 27 , Sep 15, 2005
                            Here are the 3 rpm found with 'rpm -qa | grep -i nvidia':
                            http://www.univ-orleans.fr/SCIENCES/LIFO/Members/tessier/NVIDIA/
                            I have put also some examples of xorg.conf files.
                            I hope they will work with Mandriva download edition...
                            Tell me if you need other rpm.
                            Tell me also when you have downloaded the files because I would like to
                            delete them.

                            Alex.

                            Demosthenes wrote:
                            > Thanks Alex - I just want to make sure that the NVidia driver actually
                            > works on my machine before I buy the power pack or pay for a club
                            > membership. I know the nv driver is a software only driver which is
                            > the problem.
                            >
                            > I downloaded the official driver from the NVidia site although it
                            > compiled itself against installed kernel headers which appear to match
                            > my kernel version. The Nvidia .run file complained there was no
                            > matching 'kernel interface' so had to compile from scratch. I don't
                            > know if that has anything to do with it. I think some years ago, there
                            > used to be .rpm files or .rpm source files available - I can't remember.
                            >
                            > For people new to this discussion - I have uploaded images of my
                            > display problem in the 'pics' directory of this discussion group.
                            >
                            > Does anyone have an .rpm file or something I can install to try that
                            > instead of the 'self compiling' NVidia driver.
                            >
                            > --- In linux-dell-laptops@yahoogroups.com, Alexandre Tessier
                            > <Alexandre.Tessier@l...> wrote:
                            >
                            >>The 'nv' driver installed by Mandriva is not the nvidia driver. It is
                            >>the XFree/Xorg driver for nvidia cards. The nvidia driver is called
                            >>'nvidia'. If you want it, you can either download from nvidia
                            >>(http://www.nvidia.fr/object/linux_fr.html or
                            >>http://www.nvidia.co.uk/object/unix.html) or you can install Mandriva
                            >>PowerPack (the powerpack distribution adds ati and nvidia driver to
                            >
                            > the
                            >
                            >>download edition).
                            >>
                            >>Alex.

                            http://www.univ-orleans.fr/SCIENCES/LIFO/Members/tessier/
                            tel LIFO: +33 (0)238494670 tel IUFM: +33 (0)238798417
                          • Demosthenes
                            Message 13 of 27 , Sep 15, 2005
                              what I do this from a root console before I startx with the NVidia
                              driver configured to run in place of the 'nv' driver?

                              How did it work for you? What does it do and why does it work?

                              Thanks,

                              Ian

                              --- In linux-dell-laptops@yahoogroups.com, "sugaratias" <adam@t...>
                              wrote:
                              > modprobe nvidia NVreg_SoftEDIDs=0 NVreg_Mobile=0
                              >
                              > It worked for me!
                            • Demosthenes
                              Message 14 of 27 , Sep 15, 2005
                                thanks I will download on to my Linux partition shortly..

                                Will these work for the standard Mandriva Download Kernel and will I
                                have to recompile and change everything if I upgrade the kernel and
                                kernel source? So I just unintstall the nvidia.run file compiled
                                driver (with some uninstall option I presume) and then install these
                                files?

                                Will these xfonfig files work with 1600x1200?

                                Thanks,

                                Ian

                                Message 15 of 27 , Sep 15, 2005
                                  Yes, before you startx.

                                  Have xorg.conf set to use the nvidia driver.

                                  Then you need to load the nvidia module. If I just do modprobe nvidia
                                  and then startx I get lots of coloured lines down the right of the
                                  screen and the resolution is wrong.

                                  If I do modprobe nvidia NVreg_SoftEDIDs=0 NVreg_Mobile=0 and then
                                  startx, it works fine.

                                  I am guessing it tells the module to ignore what the system is telling
                                  it and just use the right resolution anyway. Not sure about the mobile
                                  flag, there must be something different with the dell chipsets, so
                                  that must tell it to use the GeForce 440 mobile editio perhaps.

                                  Like I say.. works on my Dell Inspiron 8200 with a GeForce440 Go and a
                                  1600x1200 UXGA panel.

                                  :-)

                                  <aristotle@i...> wrote:
                                  > what I do this from a root console before I startx with the NVidia
                                  > driver configured to run in place of the 'nv' driver?
                                  >
                                  > How did it work for you? What does it do and why does it work?
                                  >
                                  > Thanks,
                                  >
                                  > Ian
                                  >
                                  > --- In linux-dell-laptops@yahoogroups.com, "sugaratias" <adam@t...>
                                  > wrote:
                                  > > modprobe nvidia NVreg_SoftEDIDs=0 NVreg_Mobile=0
                                  > >
                                  > > It worked for me!
                                • Demosthenes
                                  Message 16 of 27 , Sep 15, 2005
                                    thanks.. I received an error about symbols or something - although
                                    I am sure I have a kernel and matching kernel source - and in the
                                    log file something about those parameters not being recognised.

                                    I thought I had copied the logs across to a floppy disk although
                                    they have not copied (I am back in XP - argh - will reboot now).

                                    However, I will try again, and how can I have this happen on startup
                                    automatically? Great to hear someone else has the same problem!
                                    How obscure! Did you look at my the images I have uploaded in to
                                    the Photos directory of this group and you have the same problem?

                                    wrote:
                                    > Yes, before you startx.
                                    >
                                    > Have xorg.conf set to use the nvidia driver.
                                    >
                                    > Then you need to load the nvidia module. If I just do modprobe
                                    nvidia
                                    > and then startx I get lots of coloured lines down the right of the
                                    > screen and the resolution is wrong.
                                    >
                                    > If I do modprobe nvidia NVreg_SoftEDIDs=0 NVreg_Mobile=0 and then
                                    > startx, it works fine.
                                    >
                                    > I am guessing it tells the module to ignore what the system is
                                    telling
                                    > it and just use the right resolution anyway. Not sure about the
                                    mobile
                                    > flag, there must be something different with the dell chipsets, so
                                    > that must tell it to use the GeForce 440 mobile editio perhaps.
                                    >
                                    > Like I say.. works on my Dell Inspiron 8200 with a GeForce440 Go
                                    and a
                                    > 1600x1200 UXGA panel.
                                    >
                                    > :-)
                                    >

                                    > --- In linux-dell-laptops@yahoogroups.com, "Demosthenes"
                                    > <aristotle@i...> wrote:
                                    > > what I do this from a root console before I startx with the
                                    NVidia
                                    > > driver configured to run in place of the 'nv' driver?
                                    > >
                                    > > How did it work for you? What does it do and why does it work?
                                    > >
                                    > > Thanks,
                                    > >
                                    > > Ian
                                    > >
                                    > > --- In linux-dell-laptops@yahoogroups.com, "sugaratias"
                                    <adam@t...>
                                    > > wrote:
                                    > > > modprobe nvidia NVreg_SoftEDIDs=0 NVreg_Mobile=0
                                    > > >
                                    > > > It worked for me!
                                  • Demosthenes
                                    Message 17 of 27 , Sep 15, 2005
                                      where are these options detailed? I could not find them in the
                                      readme file.

                                      wrote:
                                      > Yes, before you startx.
                                      >
                                      > Have xorg.conf set to use the nvidia driver.
                                      >
                                      > Then you need to load the nvidia module. If I just do modprobe
                                      nvidia
                                      > and then startx I get lots of coloured lines down the right of the
                                      > screen and the resolution is wrong.
                                      >
                                      > If I do modprobe nvidia NVreg_SoftEDIDs=0 NVreg_Mobile=0 and then
                                      > startx, it works fine.
                                      >
                                      > I am guessing it tells the module to ignore what the system is
                                      telling
                                      > it and just use the right resolution anyway. Not sure about the
                                      mobile
                                      > flag, there must be something different with the dell chipsets, so
                                      > that must tell it to use the GeForce 440 mobile editio perhaps.
                                      >
                                      > Like I say.. works on my Dell Inspiron 8200 with a GeForce440 Go
                                      and a
                                      > 1600x1200 UXGA panel.
                                      >
                                      > :-)
                                      >

                                      > --- In linux-dell-laptops@yahoogroups.com, "Demosthenes"
                                      > <aristotle@i...> wrote:
                                      > > what I do this from a root console before I startx with the
                                      NVidia
                                      > > driver configured to run in place of the 'nv' driver?
                                      > >
                                      > > How did it work for you? What does it do and why does it work?
                                      > >
                                      > > Thanks,
                                      > >
                                      > > Ian
                                      > >
                                      > > --- In linux-dell-laptops@yahoogroups.com, "sugaratias"
                                      <adam@t...>
                                      > > wrote:
                                      > > > modprobe nvidia NVreg_SoftEDIDs=0 NVreg_Mobile=0
                                      > > >
                                      > > > It worked for me!
                                    • Demosthenes
                                      Message 18 of 27 , Sep 15, 2005
                                        have downloaded now - thanks! although same problem but much
                                        appreciated anyhow.

                                        Message 19 of 27 , Sep 15, 2005
                                          BTW - there was something in the xfree log (warning) about refresh
                                          rates being disregarded for something else.. interesting and
                                          perhaps this is the problem you are having.

                                          wrote:
                                          > Yes, before you startx.
                                          >
                                          > Have xorg.conf set to use the nvidia driver.
                                          >
                                          > Then you need to load the nvidia module. If I just do modprobe
                                          nvidia
                                          > and then startx I get lots of coloured lines down the right of the
                                          > screen and the resolution is wrong.
                                          >
                                          > If I do modprobe nvidia NVreg_SoftEDIDs=0 NVreg_Mobile=0 and then
                                          > startx, it works fine.
                                          >
                                          > I am guessing it tells the module to ignore what the system is
                                          telling
                                          > it and just use the right resolution anyway. Not sure about the
                                          mobile
                                          > flag, there must be something different with the dell chipsets, so
                                          > that must tell it to use the GeForce 440 mobile editio perhaps.
                                          >
                                          > Like I say.. works on my Dell Inspiron 8200 with a GeForce440 Go
                                          and a
                                          > 1600x1200 UXGA panel.
                                          >
                                          > :-)
                                          >

                                          > --- In linux-dell-laptops@yahoogroups.com, "Demosthenes"
                                          > <aristotle@i...> wrote:
                                          > > what I do this from a root console before I startx with the
                                          NVidia
                                          > > driver configured to run in place of the 'nv' driver?
                                          > >
                                          > > How did it work for you? What does it do and why does it work?
                                          > >
                                          > > Thanks,
                                          > >
                                          > > Ian
                                          > >
                                          > > --- In linux-dell-laptops@yahoogroups.com, "sugaratias"
                                          <adam@t...>
                                          > > wrote:
                                          > > > modprobe nvidia NVreg_SoftEDIDs=0 NVreg_Mobile=0
                                          > > >
                                          > > > It worked for me!
                                        • Demosthenes
                                          Message 20 of 27 , Sep 15, 2005
                                            you LEGEND!!!!! It is now working GREAT!!! I just played my first game
                                            of Chromium and I am a happy man and I will spread the word about this
                                            fix and buy myself membership to the Mandriva Club to support Mandriva.

                                            I may have more questionsa bout configuration - can I email you directly?

                                            Firstly, how can I have this boot with these options each time? At
                                            the moment Mandriva boots straight in to X each time, so how can I
                                            reconfigure to boot with these options set? Can I put them in the
                                            XConfig file?

                                            So it was something about the refresh rates after all.

                                            Well done!!!!

                                            Kind Regards and Sincere Appreciation,

                                            Ian
                                            (Adelaide, South Australia)

                                            --- In linux-dell-laptops@yahoogroups.com, "sugaratias" <adam@t...> wrote:
                                            > Yes, before you startx.
                                            >
                                            > Have xorg.conf set to use the nvidia driver.
                                            >
                                            > Then you need to load the nvidia module. If I just do modprobe nvidia
                                            > and then startx I get lots of coloured lines down the right of the
                                            > screen and the resolution is wrong.
                                            >
                                            > If I do modprobe nvidia NVreg_SoftEDIDs=0 NVreg_Mobile=0 and then
                                            > startx, it works fine.
                                            >
                                            > I am guessing it tells the module to ignore what the system is telling
                                            > it and just use the right resolution anyway. Not sure about the mobile
                                            > flag, there must be something different with the dell chipsets, so
                                            > that must tell it to use the GeForce 440 mobile editio perhaps.
                                            >
                                            > Like I say.. works on my Dell Inspiron 8200 with a GeForce440 Go and a
                                            > 1600x1200 UXGA panel.
                                            >
                                            > :-)
                                            >

                                            > --- In linux-dell-laptops@yahoogroups.com, "Demosthenes"
                                            > <aristotle@i...> wrote:
                                            > > what I do this from a root console before I startx with the NVidia
                                            > > driver configured to run in place of the 'nv' driver?
                                            > >
                                            > > How did it work for you? What does it do and why does it work?
                                            > >
                                            > > Thanks,
                                            > >
                                            > > Ian
                                            > >
                                            > > --- In linux-dell-laptops@yahoogroups.com, "sugaratias" <adam@t...>
                                            > > wrote:
                                            > > > modprobe nvidia NVreg_SoftEDIDs=0 NVreg_Mobile=0
                                            > > >
                                            > > > It worked for me!
                                          • Herman
                                            Message 21 of 27 , Sep 15, 2005
                                              A good place to add boot options is at the bottom of /etc/rc.d/rc.local

                                              That is the last file to run, before X starts up.

                                              Cheers,

                                              H.

                                              Demosthenes wrote:
                                              > you LEGEND!!!!! It is now working GREAT!!! I just played my first game
                                              > of Chromium and I am a happy man and I will spread the word about this
                                              > fix and buy myself membership to the Mandriva Club to support Mandriva.
                                              >
                                              > I may have more questionsa bout configuration - can I email you directly?
                                              >
                                              > Firstly, how can I have this boot with these options each time? At
                                              > the moment Mandriva boots straight in to X each time, so how can I
                                              > reconfigure to boot with these options set? Can I put them in the
                                              > XConfig file?
                                              >
                                              > So it was something about the refresh rates after all.
                                              >
                                              > Well done!!!!
                                              >
                                              > Kind Regards and Sincere Appreciation,
                                              >
                                              > Ian
                                              > (Adelaide, South Australia)
                                              >
                                              > --- In linux-dell-laptops@yahoogroups.com, "sugaratias" <adam@t...> wrote:
                                              >
                                              >>Yes, before you startx.
                                              >>
                                              >>Have xorg.conf set to use the nvidia driver.
                                              >>
                                              >>Then you need to load the nvidia module. If I just do modprobe nvidia
                                              >>and then startx I get lots of coloured lines down the right of the
                                              >>screen and the resolution is wrong.
                                              >>
                                              >>If I do modprobe nvidia NVreg_SoftEDIDs=0 NVreg_Mobile=0 and then
                                              >>startx, it works fine.
                                              >>
                                              >>I am guessing it tells the module to ignore what the system is telling
                                              >>it and just use the right resolution anyway. Not sure about the mobile
                                              >>flag, there must be something different with the dell chipsets, so
                                              >>that must tell it to use the GeForce 440 mobile editio perhaps.
                                              >>
                                              >>Like I say.. works on my Dell Inspiron 8200 with a GeForce440 Go and a
                                              >>1600x1200 UXGA panel.
                                              >>
                                              >>:-)
                                              >>

                                              >>--- In linux-dell-laptops@yahoogroups.com, "Demosthenes"
                                              >><aristotle@i...> wrote:
                                              >>
                                              >>>what I do this from a root console before I startx with the NVidia
                                              >>>driver configured to run in place of the 'nv' driver?
                                              >>>
                                              >>>How did it work for you? What does it do and why does it work?
                                              >>>
                                              >>>Thanks,
                                              >>>
                                              >>>Ian
                                              >>>
                                              >>>--- In linux-dell-laptops@yahoogroups.com, "sugaratias" <adam@t...>

                                            • Demosthenes
                                              Message 22 of 27 , Sep 15, 2005
                                                Hi All,

                                                Thanks for your help with my NVidia issues! Now I just have to work
                                                out how to make the nvidia-settings settings stick (such as vibrance,
                                                smoothing, etc) - I suppose I will take that to a dedicated NVidia
                                                driver group.

                                                Thanks a million everyone!!!

                                                Ian
                                              • sugaratias
                                                Message 23 of 27 , Sep 15, 2005
                                                  Glad to be of service! :-)

                                                  The same problem was driving me up the wall a short while ago..