Re: [linux-dell-laptops] I8k , I8500 mini-pci wireless

  • Mystify
    Message 1 of 7 , Sep 2, 2005
      hi,...

      > 2) I'm guessing whatever works with my I8000 will also work with my
      > newer I8500. I have Dell's internal a/b/g wireless working with the
      > Linuxant drivers, but I'd rather go OSS. Ideas?
      the internal dell should be a broadcom. broadcom does not provide developer

      with informations so that a OSS driver could be developed, and they're not

      interested in linux driver support for end-users.
      you can use the actual intel cards, there are native linux driver for
      them (ipw2000.sf.net).
      don't know which card will work properly in your laptop, but you can ask
      the dell support, they have tested a few cards for every notebook.

      i'm going to upgrade my broadcam to an intel 2915 a/b/g card in the near
      future.
      i'm curious if it will work properly...

      mfg
    • Herman
      Message 2 of 7 , Sep 2, 2005
        > hi,...
        >>2) I'm guessing whatever works with my I8000 will also work with my
        >>newer I8500. I have Dell's internal a/b/g wireless working with the
        >>Linuxant drivers, but I'd rather go OSS. Ideas?

        If you have it working with linuxant, then you should be able to get it
        going with ndiswrapper. The problem though is that linuxant and
        ndiswrapper will clash with each other, so you have to completely
        uninstall it before you try ndiswrapper.

        Install the latest ndiswrapper from source, it is easy to compile. See
        this guide for details:
        http://www.aerospacesoftware.com/notebook-howto.html

        Cheers,

        Herman