Re: [linux-dell-laptops] Dell 8200 Mandriva Linux (NVidia Driver Problem)

  • Leonardo Diaz
    Message 1 of 27 , Sep 1, 2005
      Demosthenes wrote:

      >Hi All,
      >
      >I have a Geforce 4 mobile chip in my Dell Inspiron 8200 laptop and
      >have installed the NVidia driver (it had to compile a 'kernel
      >interface' from source. When I then change the xorg.conf file
      >according to instructions (change driver to nvidia) I am presented
      >with a screen with multicoloured vertical lines down the right hand
      >side and the screen offset vertically (as though the vertical hold on
      >a TV is misconfigured).
      >
      >I have take pictures of the screen - any ideas? Can I post the
      >pictures here?
      >
      >Thanks,
      >
      >Ian
      >(South Australia)

      This xorg.conf is working in my Inspiron 8200, GEFORCE4, hope it helps.

      ----><-------

      Section "Files"
      # Multiple FontPath entries are allowed (they are concatenated together)
      # By default, Mandrake 6.0 and later now use a font server
      independent of
      # the X server to render fonts.
      FontPath "unix/:-1"
      EndSection

      Section "ServerFlags"
      #DontZap # disable <Crtl><Alt><BS> (server abort)
      #DontZoom # disable <Crtl><Alt><KP_+>/<KP_-> (resolution switching)
      AllowMouseOpenFail # allows the server to start up even if the mouse
      doesn't work
      EndSection

      Section "Module"
      Load "dbe" # Double-Buffering Extension
      Load "v4l" # Video for Linux
      Load "extmod"
      Load "type1"
      Load "freetype"

      #################
      Load "glx" # 3D layer
      EndSection

      Section "InputDevice"
      Identifier "Keyboard1"
      Driver "keyboard"
      Option "XkbModel" "pc105"
      Option "XkbLayout" "us_intl"
      Option "XkbOptions" ""
      EndSection

      Section "InputDevice"
      Identifier "Mouse1"
      Driver "mouse"
      Option "Protocol" "ExplorerPS/2"
      Option "Device" "/dev/mouse"
      Option "ZAxisMapping" "6 7"
      EndSection

      Section "Monitor"
      Identifier "monTV"
      HorizSync 30-50
      VertRefresh 60
      #DisplaySize 400 320
      DisplaySize 260 128
      ModeLine "720x576_50" 27.5 720 744 800 880 576 581 583 625
      ModeLine "720x576_60" 32.7 720 744 816 912 576 577 580 597
      EndSection

      Section "Monitor"
      Identifier "monLCD"
      VendorName "Generic"
      ModelName "Flat Panel 1400x1050"
      HorizSync 31.5-90
      VertRefresh 59-75
      DisplaySize 400 306
      EndSection

      Section "Device"
      Identifier "Card2"
      VendorName "nVidia Corporation"
      BoardName "NVIDIA GeForce4 (generic)"
      Driver "nvidia"
      #Option "DPMS"
      Option "CursorShadow" "1"
      Option "NoLogo" "1"
      Option "VertRefresh" "TV-0: 60; DFP-0: 59-75"

      ## As per NVIDIA doc file
      ## required
      Option "TwinView"
      Option "HorizSync" "TV-0: 30-50; DFP-0: 31.5-90"

      # better not to use Option "ConnectedMonitor" "scrTV, scrLCD"
      Option "MetaModes" "TV-0: 1024x768,DFP-0: 1400x1050; TV-0: 640x480,
      DFP-0: 1400x1050"
      Option "TVStandard" "NTSC-M"

      # THIS OPTION IS EXPERIMENTAL. ENABLE IT AT YOUR OWN RISK.
      Option "RenderAccel" "1"
      Option "UseEdidFreqs" "true"
      Option "NvAGP" "0"

      ## Optional
      #Option "TwinViewOrientation"
      "LeftOf|RightOF(default)|Above|Below|Clone"

      # also "CRT-0 LeftOf DFP-0"
      Option "TwinViewOrientation" "Clone"
      Option "TVOutFormat" "Composite"
      EndSection

      Section "Screen"
      Identifier "scrTV"
      Device "Card2"
      Monitor "monTV"

      Subsection "Display"
      Depth 24
      Modes "1024x768"
      EndSubsection
      DefaultDepth 24
      EndSection

      Section "Screen"
      Identifier "scrFP"
      Device "Card2"
      Monitor "monLCD"
      DefaultColorDepth 24

      Subsection "Display"
      Depth 8
      Virtual 1400 1050
      EndSubsection

      Subsection "Display"
      Depth 15
      Virtual 1400 1050
      EndSubsection

      Subsection "Display"
      Depth 16
      Virtual 1400 1050
      EndSubsection

      Subsection "Display"
      Depth 24
      Virtual 1400 1050
      EndSubsection
      EndSection

      Section "ServerLayout"
      Identifier "Dual Layout"
      InputDevice "Keyboard1" "CoreKeyboard"
      InputDevice "Mouse1" "CorePointer"
      Screen 0 "scrFP"
      #Screen 1 "scrFP" LeftOf "scrTV"
      EndSection
      ---><---
    • Demosthenes
      Message 2 of 27 , Sep 2, 2005
        Leonardo,

        Thank you for the xorg.conf file. I had to add some comments in some
        lines and remove some carriage returns after I pasted this to a text
        file and copied it across from my Windows partition to my Linux
        partition. X then started up fine although the same problem is there.
        I took another photo and will post it up although I suspect nothing
        has changed.

        I am almost certain I have the latest BIOS and the display seems to
        work fine under Windows XP SP2. I hope I do not have a hardware
        problem though!!!! The display in Linux works 'fine' with the
        standard Nvidia driver that ships with Mandriva Limited Edition
        (download) although no hardware graphics support which sucks. It
        really slows the machine down to use a GUI with it.

        So it may be unlikely I have a hardware problem and hardware
        diagnostics a month ago showed up nothing.

        The only thing I can think of that is curious is that the driver
        complained that there was no 'kernel interface' for my system so it
        compiled another against the Kernel source files I installed off the DVD.

        Any thoughts - anyone??

        --- In linux-dell-laptops@yahoogroups.com, Leonardo Diaz

      • Demosthenes
        Message 3 of 27 , Sep 3, 2005
          Well I have updated the BIOS (if it was needed) and have tried 16 bit
          colour resolution and still same problem. Something curious is that
          the screen seems to think it is working with less - so if I move the
          mouse to the far left or right or up or down the screen 'scrolls' - so
          this indicates we may have a software issue? After all it works fine
          with the standard 'nv' driver (although no hardware acceleration with
          this right?).

          Photos of my screen are uploaded in the photos section of this
          discussion group under a folder called 'problems'.

          Screen is 1600x1200 LCD native resolution 24 bit colour I believe.

          I am running Mandriva 2005 'download' or limited edition.

          --- In linux-dell-laptops@yahoogroups.com, "Demosthenes"

        • Gabriel
          Message 4 of 27 , Sep 3, 2005
            Strange,

            I have pretty much the same configuration (I'm not sure what your video card is exactly, mine is a GeForce4 440Go) and it works fine, albeit with Mandrake 10.1.
            I have BIOS A11
            Do you have a docking station pluged in?
            Do you have an external monitor connected?
            What version of the NVidia driver are you using? (ie what file did you download from NVidia)
            Perhaps you could analyse the output of /var/log/Xorg.0.log - the xorg log file, it may tell you why it is choosing a lower resolution.
            Have you tried playing with Fn-F7 (I think that is the combination that changes the screen size)?

            Good luck.

            For what its worth, here is the output of lspci -vv on my video card:

            01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation NV17 [GeForce4 440 Go] (rev a3) (prog-if 00 [VGA])
            Subsystem: Dell: Unknown device 00d4
            Control: I/O+ Mem+ BusMaster+ SpecCycle- MemWINV- VGASnoop+ ParErr- Stepping- SERR- FastB2B-
            Command: RQ=32 ArqSz=0 Cal=0 SBA- AGP+ GART64- 64bit- FW- Rate=x4

          • Herman
            Message 5 of 27 , Sep 3, 2005
              Demosthenes wrote:
              > Well I have updated the BIOS (if it was needed) and have tried 16 bit
              > colour resolution and still same problem. Something curious is that
              > the screen seems to think it is working with less - so if I move the
              > mouse to the far left or right or up or down the screen 'scrolls' - so
              > this indicates we may have a software issue? After all it works fine
              > with the standard 'nv' driver (although no hardware acceleration with
              > this right?).
              >
              > Photos of my screen are uploaded in the photos section of this
              > discussion group under a folder called 'problems'.
              >
              > Screen is 1600x1200 LCD native resolution 24 bit colour I believe.
              >
              > I am running Mandriva 2005 'download' or limited edition.

              Laptops usually have weird display hardware. If the NV driver won't work
              properly, try VESA with 15 bit colour. That should give you a usable
              display. Once you have a basic display, you'll have to get the latest
              NV driver from Nvidia and install that.

              Maybe have a look at this guide:
              http://www.aerospacesoftware.com/fubar-howto.html

              Cheers,

              H.
            • Demosthenes
              Message 6 of 27 , Sep 10, 2005
                I will post an output of lspci as you have done as well and compare
                it. both my screen and graphics chip have been replaced by Dell while
                my laptop was under extended warranty (screen because it was wearing
                out - chip because I was getting crashes under XP and they suggested
                changing it) so I hope something has not gone wrong there. It did run
                fine under Mandrake when I first got it (9 or 10)? I recall..

                No docking station, no external monitor. I downloaded the driver
                straight off the NVidia site only a week ago.

                --- In linux-dell-laptops@yahoogroups.com, Gabriel <ggali_66@s...> wrote:
                > Strange,
                >
                > I have pretty much the same configuration (I'm not sure what your
                video card is exactly, mine is a GeForce4 440Go) and it works fine,
                albeit with Mandrake 10.1.
                > I have BIOS A11
                > Do you have a docking station pluged in?
                > Do you have an external monitor connected?
                > What version of the NVidia driver are you using? (ie what file did
                you download from NVidia)
                > Perhaps you could analyse the output of /var/log/Xorg.0.log - the
                xorg log file, it may tell you why it is choosing a lower resolution.
                > Have you tried playing with Fn-F7 (I think that is the combination
                that changes the screen size)?

                > Good luck.
                >

                > For what its worth, here is the output of lspci -vv on my video card:
                >
                > 01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation NV17 [GeForce4
                440 Go] (rev a3) (prog-if 00 [VGA])
                > Subsystem: Dell: Unknown device 00d4
                > Control: I/O+ Mem+ BusMaster+ SpecCycle- MemWINV- VGASnoop+
                ParErr- Stepping- SERR- FastB2B-
                >TAbort- <TAbort- <MAbort- >SERR- <PERR-
                > Latency: 248 (1250ns min, 250ns max)
                > Interrupt: pin A routed to IRQ 11
                > Region 0: Memory at fc000000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable)
                [size=16M]
                > Region 1: Memory at e0000000 (32-bit, prefetchable) [size=128M]
                > Region 2: Memory at dff80000 (32-bit, prefetchable) [size=512K]
                > Expansion ROM at 80000000 [disabled] [size=128K]
                > Capabilities: [60] Power Management version 2
                > Flags: PMEClk- DSI- D1- D2- AuxCurrent=0mA
                PME(D0-,D1-,D2-,D3hot-,D3cold-)
                GART64- HTrans- 64bit- FW+ AGP3- Rate=x1,x2,x4

              • Demosthenes
                Message 7 of 27 , Sep 10, 2005
                  --- In linux-dell-laptops@yahoogroups.com, Herman <herman@a...> wrote:

                  > Laptops usually have weird display hardware. If the NV driver won't
                  work
                  > properly, try VESA with 15 bit colour. That should give you a usable
                  > display. Once you have a basic display, you'll have to get the latest
                  > NV driver from Nvidia and install that.
                  >
                  > Maybe have a look at this guide:
                  > http://www.aerospacesoftware.com/fubar-howto.html
                  >
                  > Cheers,
                  >
                  > H.

                  The funny thing is that the standard nv driver installed by Mandriva
                  works fine - albeit with no 3D acceleration - so I have a basic
                  display that puts strain on the CPU to manage the GUI so it's a little
                  slower and I would really like to use the graphics hardware under Linux.
                • Alexandre Tessier
                  Message 8 of 27 , Sep 12, 2005
                    Demosthenes wrote:
                    > --- In linux-dell-laptops@yahoogroups.com, Herman <herman@a...> wrote:
                    >

                    >>Laptops usually have weird display hardware. If the NV driver won't
                    >
                    > work
                    >
                    >>properly, try VESA with 15 bit colour. That should give you a usable
                    >>display. Once you have a basic display, you'll have to get the latest
                    >>NV driver from Nvidia and install that.
                    >>
                    >>Maybe have a look at this guide:
                    >>http://www.aerospacesoftware.com/fubar-howto.html
                    >>
                    >>Cheers,
                    >>
                    >>H.
                    >

                    > The funny thing is that the standard nv driver installed by Mandriva
                    > works fine - albeit with no 3D acceleration - so I have a basic
                    > display that puts strain on the CPU to manage the GUI so it's a little
                    > slower and I would really like to use the graphics hardware under Linux.

                    The 'nv' driver installed by Mandriva is not the nvidia driver. It is
                    the XFree/Xorg driver for nvidia cards. The nvidia driver is called
                    'nvidia'. If you want it, you can either download from nvidia
                    (http://www.nvidia.fr/object/linux_fr.html or
                    http://www.nvidia.co.uk/object/unix.html) or you can install Mandriva
                    PowerPack (the powerpack distribution adds ati and nvidia driver to the
                    download edition).

                    Alex.
                  • Gabriel
                    Message 9 of 27 , Sep 12, 2005
                      I would:

                      1st - try the PowerPack as Alexandre suggests in an another post (you may first have to uninstall your NVidia drivers before installing the PowerPack), as Mandriva may well have sorted out these problems for you.

                      If that fails then investigate:

                      Run the program:
                      # nvidia-bug-report.sh
                      Which will produce the file:
                      nvidia-bug-report.log
                      ... for investigative purposes.

                      If the above program fails then these files should be of help:
                      /var/log/Xorg.0.log
                      The X config file (they are so many potential config files, the best is to check the log file above to know _which one_ is used).
                      xdpyinfo
                      lsmod
                      dmesg
                      lspci -vv
                      lspci -vvn

                      Also the NVidia README.txt file is a good read, the file should be in:
                      /usr/share/doc/NVIDIA*/README.txt

                      If the above don't mean much to you post them and hopefully we may be able to sort it out ....

                      Cheers,
                      Gabriel.

                    • Demosthenes
                      Message 10 of 27 , Sep 14, 2005
                        Thanks Alex - I just want to make sure that the NVidia driver actually
                        works on my machine before I buy the power pack or pay for a club
                        membership. I know the nv driver is a software only driver which is
                        the problem.

                        I downloaded the official driver from the NVidia site although it
                        compiled itself against installed kernel headers which appear to match
                        my kernel version. The Nvidia .run file complained there was no
                        matching 'kernel interface' so had to compile from scratch. I don't
                        know if that has anything to do with it. I think some years ago, there
                        used to be .rpm files or .rpm source files available - I can't remember.

                        For people new to this discussion - I have uploaded images of my
                        display problem in the 'pics' directory of this discussion group.

                        Does anyone have an .rpm file or something I can install to try that
                        instead of the 'self compiling' NVidia driver.

                        --- In linux-dell-laptops@yahoogroups.com, Alexandre Tessier
                        <Alexandre.Tessier@l...> wrote:
                        > The 'nv' driver installed by Mandriva is not the nvidia driver. It is
                        > the XFree/Xorg driver for nvidia cards. The nvidia driver is called
                        > 'nvidia'. If you want it, you can either download from nvidia
                        > (http://www.nvidia.fr/object/linux_fr.html or
                        > http://www.nvidia.co.uk/object/unix.html) or you can install Mandriva
                        > PowerPack (the powerpack distribution adds ati and nvidia driver to
                        the
                        > download edition).
                        >
                        > Alex.
                      • Demosthenes
                        Message 11 of 27 , Sep 14, 2005
                          Thanks..

                          The Power Pack is a little expensive in Australian currency I
                          believe (can't download?) and part of this is that I need to ensure
                          that my graphics hardware is compatible before purchasing.

                          I will try the rest as outlined below, I really do appreciate the
                          help guys.

                          Ian

                          wrote:
> [...]
                          > > [size=16M]
                          > > > Region 1: Memory at e0000000 (32-bit, prefetchable)
                          [size=128M]
                          > > > Region 2: Memory at dff80000 (32-bit, prefetchable)
                          [size=512K]
                          > > > Expansion ROM at 80000000 [disabled] [size=128K]
                          > > > Capabilities: [60] Power Management version 2
                          > > > Flags: PMEClk- DSI- D1- D2- AuxCurrent=0mA
                          > > PME(D0-,D1-,D2-,D3hot-,D3cold-)
                          > > GART64- HTrans- 64bit- FW+ AGP3- Rate=x1,x2,x4
                          > > > Command: RQ=32 ArqSz=0 Cal=0 SBA- AGP+ GART64-
                          > > 64bit- FW- Rate=x4

                          > > some
                          Linux
                          > > there.

                          Edition

                          > > laptop and
                          > > presented
                          > > right hand
                          > > hold on

                          Option "ConnectedMonitor" "scrTV, scrLCD"

                        • sugaratias
                          Message 12 of 27 , Sep 14, 2005
                            modprobe nvidia NVreg_SoftEDIDs=0 NVreg_Mobile=0

                            It worked for me!
                          • Alexandre Tessier
                            Message 13 of 27 , Sep 15, 2005
                              Here are the 3 rpm found with 'rpm -qa | grep -i nvidia':
                              http://www.univ-orleans.fr/SCIENCES/LIFO/Members/tessier/NVIDIA/
                              I have put also some examples of xorg.conf files.
                              I hope they will work with Mandriva download edition...
                              Tell me if you need other rpm.
                              Tell me also when you have downloaded the files because I would like to
                              delete them.

                              Alex.

                              Demosthenes wrote:
                              > Thanks Alex - I just want to make sure that the NVidia driver actually
                              > works on my machine before I buy the power pack or pay for a club
                              > membership. I know the nv driver is a software only driver which is
                              > the problem.
                              >
                              > I downloaded the official driver from the NVidia site although it
                              > compiled itself against installed kernel headers which appear to match
                              > my kernel version. The Nvidia .run file complained there was no
                              > matching 'kernel interface' so had to compile from scratch. I don't
                              > know if that has anything to do with it. I think some years ago, there
                              > used to be .rpm files or .rpm source files available - I can't remember.
                              >
                              > For people new to this discussion - I have uploaded images of my
                              > display problem in the 'pics' directory of this discussion group.
                              >
                              > Does anyone have an .rpm file or something I can install to try that
                              > instead of the 'self compiling' NVidia driver.
                              >
                              > --- In linux-dell-laptops@yahoogroups.com, Alexandre Tessier
                              > <Alexandre.Tessier@l...> wrote:
                              >
                              >>The 'nv' driver installed by Mandriva is not the nvidia driver. It is
                              >>the XFree/Xorg driver for nvidia cards. The nvidia driver is called
                              >>'nvidia'. If you want it, you can either download from nvidia
                              >>(http://www.nvidia.fr/object/linux_fr.html or
                              >>http://www.nvidia.co.uk/object/unix.html) or you can install Mandriva
                              >>PowerPack (the powerpack distribution adds ati and nvidia driver to
                              >
                              > the
                              >
                              >>download edition).
                              >>
                              >>Alex.

                              http://www.univ-orleans.fr/SCIENCES/LIFO/Members/tessier/
                              tel LIFO: +33 (0)238494670 tel IUFM: +33 (0)238798417
                            • Demosthenes
                              Message 14 of 27 , Sep 15, 2005
                                what I do this from a root console before I startx with the NVidia
                                driver configured to run in place of the 'nv' driver?

                                How did it work for you? What does it do and why does it work?

                                Thanks,

                                Ian

                                --- In linux-dell-laptops@yahoogroups.com, "sugaratias" <adam@t...>
                                wrote:
                                > modprobe nvidia NVreg_SoftEDIDs=0 NVreg_Mobile=0
                                >
                                > It worked for me!
                              • Demosthenes
                                Message 15 of 27 , Sep 15, 2005
                                  thanks I will download on to my Linux partition shortly..

                                  Will these work for the standard Mandriva Download Kernel and will I
                                  have to recompile and change everything if I upgrade the kernel and
                                  kernel source? So I just unintstall the nvidia.run file compiled
                                  driver (with some uninstall option I presume) and then install these
                                  files?

                                  Will these xfonfig files work with 1600x1200?

                                  Thanks,

                                  Ian

                                  Message 16 of 27 , Sep 15, 2005
                                    Yes, before you startx.

                                    Have xorg.conf set to use the nvidia driver.

                                    Then you need to load the nvidia module. If I just do modprobe nvidia
                                    and then startx I get lots of coloured lines down the right of the
                                    screen and the resolution is wrong.

                                    If I do modprobe nvidia NVreg_SoftEDIDs=0 NVreg_Mobile=0 and then
                                    startx, it works fine.

                                    I am guessing it tells the module to ignore what the system is telling
                                    it and just use the right resolution anyway. Not sure about the mobile
                                    flag, there must be something different with the dell chipsets, so
                                    that must tell it to use the GeForce 440 mobile editio perhaps.

                                    Like I say.. works on my Dell Inspiron 8200 with a GeForce440 Go and a
                                    1600x1200 UXGA panel.

                                    :-)

                                    <aristotle@i...> wrote:
                                    > what I do this from a root console before I startx with the NVidia
                                    > driver configured to run in place of the 'nv' driver?
                                    >
                                    > How did it work for you? What does it do and why does it work?
                                    >
                                    > Thanks,
                                    >
                                    > Ian
                                    >
                                    > --- In linux-dell-laptops@yahoogroups.com, "sugaratias" <adam@t...>
                                    > wrote:
                                    > > modprobe nvidia NVreg_SoftEDIDs=0 NVreg_Mobile=0
                                    > >
                                    > > It worked for me!
                                  • Demosthenes
                                    Message 17 of 27 , Sep 15, 2005
                                      thanks.. I received an error about symbols or something - although
                                      I am sure I have a kernel and matching kernel source - and in the
                                      log file something about those parameters not being recognised.

                                      I thought I had copied the logs across to a floppy disk although
                                      they have not copied (I am back in XP - argh - will reboot now).

                                      However, I will try again, and how can I have this happen on startup
                                      automatically? Great to hear someone else has the same problem!
                                      How obscure! Did you look at my the images I have uploaded in to
                                      the Photos directory of this group and you have the same problem?

                                      wrote:
                                      > Yes, before you startx.
                                      >
                                      > Have xorg.conf set to use the nvidia driver.
                                      >
                                      > Then you need to load the nvidia module. If I just do modprobe
                                      nvidia
                                      > and then startx I get lots of coloured lines down the right of the
                                      > screen and the resolution is wrong.
                                      >
                                      > If I do modprobe nvidia NVreg_SoftEDIDs=0 NVreg_Mobile=0 and then
                                      > startx, it works fine.
                                      >
                                      > I am guessing it tells the module to ignore what the system is
                                      telling
                                      > it and just use the right resolution anyway. Not sure about the
                                      mobile
                                      > flag, there must be something different with the dell chipsets, so
                                      > that must tell it to use the GeForce 440 mobile editio perhaps.
                                      >
                                      > Like I say.. works on my Dell Inspiron 8200 with a GeForce440 Go
                                      and a
                                      > 1600x1200 UXGA panel.
                                      >
                                      > :-)
                                      >

                                      > --- In linux-dell-laptops@yahoogroups.com, "Demosthenes"
                                      > <aristotle@i...> wrote:
                                      > > what I do this from a root console before I startx with the
                                      NVidia
                                      > > driver configured to run in place of the 'nv' driver?
                                      > >
                                      > > How did it work for you? What does it do and why does it work?
                                      > >
                                      > > Thanks,
                                      > >
                                      > > Ian
                                      > >
                                      > > --- In linux-dell-laptops@yahoogroups.com, "sugaratias"
                                      <adam@t...>
                                      > > wrote:
                                      > > > modprobe nvidia NVreg_SoftEDIDs=0 NVreg_Mobile=0
                                      > > >
                                      > > > It worked for me!
                                    • Demosthenes
                                      Message 18 of 27 , Sep 15, 2005
                                        where are these options detailed? I could not find them in the
                                        readme file.

                                        wrote:
                                        > Yes, before you startx.
                                        >
                                        > Have xorg.conf set to use the nvidia driver.
                                        >
                                        > Then you need to load the nvidia module. If I just do modprobe
                                        nvidia
                                        > and then startx I get lots of coloured lines down the right of the
                                        > screen and the resolution is wrong.
                                        >
                                        > If I do modprobe nvidia NVreg_SoftEDIDs=0 NVreg_Mobile=0 and then
                                        > startx, it works fine.
                                        >
                                        > I am guessing it tells the module to ignore what the system is
                                        telling
                                        > it and just use the right resolution anyway. Not sure about the
                                        mobile
                                        > flag, there must be something different with the dell chipsets, so
                                        > that must tell it to use the GeForce 440 mobile editio perhaps.
                                        >
                                        > Like I say.. works on my Dell Inspiron 8200 with a GeForce440 Go
                                        and a
                                        > 1600x1200 UXGA panel.
                                        >
                                        > :-)
                                        >

                                        > --- In linux-dell-laptops@yahoogroups.com, "Demosthenes"
                                        > <aristotle@i...> wrote:
                                        > > what I do this from a root console before I startx with the
                                        NVidia
                                        > > driver configured to run in place of the 'nv' driver?
                                        > >
                                        > > How did it work for you? What does it do and why does it work?
                                        > >
                                        > > Thanks,
                                        > >
                                        > > Ian
                                        > >
                                        > > --- In linux-dell-laptops@yahoogroups.com, "sugaratias"
                                        <adam@t...>
                                        > > wrote:
                                        > > > modprobe nvidia NVreg_SoftEDIDs=0 NVreg_Mobile=0
                                        > > >
                                        > > > It worked for me!
                                      • Demosthenes
                                        Message 19 of 27 , Sep 15, 2005
                                          have downloaded now - thanks! although same problem but much
                                          appreciated anyhow.

                                          Message 20 of 27 , Sep 15, 2005
                                            BTW - there was something in the xfree log (warning) about refresh
                                            rates being disregarded for something else.. interesting and
                                            perhaps this is the problem you are having.

                                            wrote:
                                            > Yes, before you startx.
                                            >
                                            > Have xorg.conf set to use the nvidia driver.
                                            >
                                            > Then you need to load the nvidia module. If I just do modprobe
                                            nvidia
                                            > and then startx I get lots of coloured lines down the right of the
                                            > screen and the resolution is wrong.
                                            >
                                            > If I do modprobe nvidia NVreg_SoftEDIDs=0 NVreg_Mobile=0 and then
                                            > startx, it works fine.
                                            >
                                            > I am guessing it tells the module to ignore what the system is
                                            telling
                                            > it and just use the right resolution anyway. Not sure about the
                                            mobile
                                            > flag, there must be something different with the dell chipsets, so
                                            > that must tell it to use the GeForce 440 mobile editio perhaps.
                                            >
                                            > Like I say.. works on my Dell Inspiron 8200 with a GeForce440 Go
                                            and a
                                            > 1600x1200 UXGA panel.
                                            >
                                            > :-)
                                            >

                                            > --- In linux-dell-laptops@yahoogroups.com, "Demosthenes"
                                            > <aristotle@i...> wrote:
                                            > > what I do this from a root console before I startx with the
                                            NVidia
                                            > > driver configured to run in place of the 'nv' driver?
                                            > >
                                            > > How did it work for you? What does it do and why does it work?
                                            > >
                                            > > Thanks,
                                            > >
                                            > > Ian
                                            > >
                                            > > --- In linux-dell-laptops@yahoogroups.com, "sugaratias"
                                            <adam@t...>
                                            > > wrote:
                                            > > > modprobe nvidia NVreg_SoftEDIDs=0 NVreg_Mobile=0
                                            > > >
                                            > > > It worked for me!
                                          • Demosthenes
                                            Message 21 of 27 , Sep 15, 2005
                                              you LEGEND!!!!! It is now working GREAT!!! I just played my first game
                                              of Chromium and I am a happy man and I will spread the word about this
                                              fix and buy myself membership to the Mandriva Club to support Mandriva.

                                              I may have more questionsa bout configuration - can I email you directly?

                                              Firstly, how can I have this boot with these options each time? At
                                              the moment Mandriva boots straight in to X each time, so how can I
                                              reconfigure to boot with these options set? Can I put them in the
                                              XConfig file?

                                              So it was something about the refresh rates after all.

                                              Well done!!!!

                                              Kind Regards and Sincere Appreciation,

                                              Ian
                                              (Adelaide, South Australia)

                                              --- In linux-dell-laptops@yahoogroups.com, "sugaratias" <adam@t...> wrote:
                                              > Yes, before you startx.
                                              >
                                              > Have xorg.conf set to use the nvidia driver.
                                              >
                                              > Then you need to load the nvidia module. If I just do modprobe nvidia
                                              > and then startx I get lots of coloured lines down the right of the
                                              > screen and the resolution is wrong.
                                              >
                                              > If I do modprobe nvidia NVreg_SoftEDIDs=0 NVreg_Mobile=0 and then
                                              > startx, it works fine.
                                              >
                                              > I am guessing it tells the module to ignore what the system is telling
                                              > it and just use the right resolution anyway. Not sure about the mobile
                                              > flag, there must be something different with the dell chipsets, so
                                              > that must tell it to use the GeForce 440 mobile editio perhaps.
                                              >
                                              > Like I say.. works on my Dell Inspiron 8200 with a GeForce440 Go and a
                                              > 1600x1200 UXGA panel.
                                              >
                                              > :-)
                                              >

                                              > --- In linux-dell-laptops@yahoogroups.com, "Demosthenes"
                                              > <aristotle@i...> wrote:
                                              > > what I do this from a root console before I startx with the NVidia
                                              > > driver configured to run in place of the 'nv' driver?
                                              > >
                                              > > How did it work for you? What does it do and why does it work?
                                              > >
                                              > > Thanks,
                                              > >
                                              > > Ian
                                              > >
                                              > > --- In linux-dell-laptops@yahoogroups.com, "sugaratias" <adam@t...>
                                              > > wrote:
                                              > > > modprobe nvidia NVreg_SoftEDIDs=0 NVreg_Mobile=0
                                              > > >
                                              > > > It worked for me!
                                            • Herman
                                              Message 22 of 27 , Sep 15, 2005
                                                A good place to add boot options is at the bottom of /etc/rc.d/rc.local

                                                That is the last file to run, before X starts up.

                                                Cheers,

                                                H.

                                                Demosthenes wrote:
                                                > you LEGEND!!!!! It is now working GREAT!!! I just played my first game
                                                > of Chromium and I am a happy man and I will spread the word about this
                                                > fix and buy myself membership to the Mandriva Club to support Mandriva.
                                                >
                                                > I may have more questionsa bout configuration - can I email you directly?
                                                >
                                                > Firstly, how can I have this boot with these options each time? At
                                                > the moment Mandriva boots straight in to X each time, so how can I
                                                > reconfigure to boot with these options set? Can I put them in the
                                                > XConfig file?
                                                >
                                                > So it was something about the refresh rates after all.
                                                >
                                                > Well done!!!!
                                                >
                                                > Kind Regards and Sincere Appreciation,
                                                >
                                                > Ian
                                                > (Adelaide, South Australia)
                                                >
                                                > --- In linux-dell-laptops@yahoogroups.com, "sugaratias" <adam@t...> wrote:
                                                >
                                                >>Yes, before you startx.
                                                >>
                                                >>Have xorg.conf set to use the nvidia driver.
                                                >>
                                                >>Then you need to load the nvidia module. If I just do modprobe nvidia
                                                >>and then startx I get lots of coloured lines down the right of the
                                                >>screen and the resolution is wrong.
                                                >>
                                                >>If I do modprobe nvidia NVreg_SoftEDIDs=0 NVreg_Mobile=0 and then
                                                >>startx, it works fine.
                                                >>
                                                >>I am guessing it tells the module to ignore what the system is telling
                                                >>it and just use the right resolution anyway. Not sure about the mobile
                                                >>flag, there must be something different with the dell chipsets, so
                                                >>that must tell it to use the GeForce 440 mobile editio perhaps.
                                                >>
                                                >>Like I say.. works on my Dell Inspiron 8200 with a GeForce440 Go and a
                                                >>1600x1200 UXGA panel.
                                                >>
                                                >>:-)
                                                >>

                                                >>--- In linux-dell-laptops@yahoogroups.com, "Demosthenes"
                                                >><aristotle@i...> wrote:
                                                >>
                                                >>>what I do this from a root console before I startx with the NVidia
                                                >>>driver configured to run in place of the 'nv' driver?
                                                >>>
                                                >>>How did it work for you? What does it do and why does it work?
                                                >>>
                                                >>>Thanks,
                                                >>>
                                                >>>Ian
                                                >>>
                                                >>>--- In linux-dell-laptops@yahoogroups.com, "sugaratias" <adam@t...>

                                              • Demosthenes
                                                Message 23 of 27 , Sep 15, 2005
                                                  Hi All,

                                                  Thanks for your help with my NVidia issues! Now I just have to work
                                                  out how to make the nvidia-settings settings stick (such as vibrance,
                                                  smoothing, etc) - I suppose I will take that to a dedicated NVidia
                                                  driver group.

                                                  Thanks a million everyone!!!

                                                  Ian
                                                • sugaratias
                                                  Message 24 of 27 , Sep 15, 2005
                                                    Glad to be of service! :-)

                                                    The same problem was driving me up the wall a short while ago..