Re: [linux-dell-laptops] I8k , I8500 mini-pci wireless

  • Paul E. Adamson
    Message 1 of 7 , Sep 1, 2005
      I've been using a Lucent Orinico Silver card in my i8k with Redhat and
      Fedora for about three years with no problems.

      -Paul

      On Thu, 2005-09-01 at 14:23 -0400, Marcelo N. Halpern wrote:
      > Hey guys,
      >
      > Sorry if this has been answered before, but I've seen contradictory
      > information in different places. I have a couple of dell laptops
      > that
      > I'm looking to do some wireless with... so
      >
      > 1) What's the best mini-pci option for a I8000? Also, there's some
      > talk
      > about needing to install the antenna myself... any experiences?
      >
      > 2) I'm guessing whatever works with my I8000 will also work with my
      > newer I8500. I have Dell's internal a/b/g wireless working with the
      > Linuxant drivers, but I'd rather go OSS. Ideas?
      >
      > Thanks!
      >

      > --
      > Marcelo N. Halpern, your favorite daemon.
      > UNIX Systems Administrator - Ramapo College
      > TEL: +1.201.684.6821 FAX: +1.201.684.7961

      > Dell laptop battery
      > Notebook computers
      > Dell laptop repair
      > Dell laptop
      > Dell laptop part
      > Laptop notebook
      > computer

      > Service.

    • Marcelo N. Halpern
      Message 2 of 7 , Sep 1, 2005
        Paul,

        is that on a i8000 or i8500? I have both to deal with :-/

        Thanks!

        --
        Marcelo N. Halpern, your favourite daemon.
        UNIX Systems Administrator - Ramapo College
        TEL: +1.201.684.6821 FAX: +1.201.684.7961
      • Paul V. Gratz
        Message 3 of 7 , Sep 1, 2005
          I have an i8500, I don't know about the other...
          Paul

          On Thursday 01 September 2005 05:19 pm, Marcelo N. Halpern wrote:
          > Paul,
          >
          > is that on a i8000 or i8500? I have both to deal with :-/
          >
          > Thanks!
          >
          > Paul V. Gratz wrote:
          > > I'm very happy with my Intel 2200 b/g. The drivers are now pretty stable
          > > and good and its all OSS.
          > > Paul
          > >
          > > On Thursday 01 September 2005 01:23 pm, Marcelo N. Halpern wrote:
          > >>Hey guys,
          > >>
          > >>Sorry if this has been answered before, but I've seen contradictory
          > >>information in different places. I have a couple of dell laptops that
          > >>I'm looking to do some wireless with... so
          > >>
          > >>1) What's the best mini-pci option for a I8000? Also, there's some talk
          > >>about needing to install the antenna myself... any experiences?
          > >>
          > >>2) I'm guessing whatever works with my I8000 will also work with my
          > >>newer I8500. I have Dell's internal a/b/g wireless working with the
          > >>Linuxant drivers, but I'd rather go OSS. Ideas?
          > >>
          > >>Thanks!
        • Mystify
          Message 4 of 7 , Sep 2, 2005
            hi,...

            > 2) I'm guessing whatever works with my I8000 will also work with my
            > newer I8500. I have Dell's internal a/b/g wireless working with the
            > Linuxant drivers, but I'd rather go OSS. Ideas?
            the internal dell should be a broadcom. broadcom does not provide developer

            with informations so that a OSS driver could be developed, and they're not

            interested in linux driver support for end-users.
            you can use the actual intel cards, there are native linux driver for
            them (ipw2000.sf.net).
            don't know which card will work properly in your laptop, but you can ask
            the dell support, they have tested a few cards for every notebook.

            i'm going to upgrade my broadcam to an intel 2915 a/b/g card in the near
            future.
            i'm curious if it will work properly...

            mfg
          • Herman
            Message 5 of 7 , Sep 2, 2005
              > hi,...
              >>2) I'm guessing whatever works with my I8000 will also work with my
              >>newer I8500. I have Dell's internal a/b/g wireless working with the
              >>Linuxant drivers, but I'd rather go OSS. Ideas?

              If you have it working with linuxant, then you should be able to get it
              going with ndiswrapper. The problem though is that linuxant and
              ndiswrapper will clash with each other, so you have to completely
              uninstall it before you try ndiswrapper.

              Install the latest ndiswrapper from source, it is easy to compile. See
              this guide for details:
              http://www.aerospacesoftware.com/notebook-howto.html

              Cheers,

              Herman