displaying on a LCD projector

  • iamwobster
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 31, 2005
      Last night at a meeting I attempted to get my new Dell XPS-2 Laptop
      running the latest Fedora 4 distribution to display on a Dell LCD
      projector. I tried the magic Fn-F8 sequence, but the projector didn't
      respond. I also reduced my resolution to 1024x768, but to no avail.
      Unfortunately, I finally had to give up and reboot to
      Windows XP which automatically switched the resolution and began
      communicating with the projector.

      Does anybody no the incantation to get the laptop to display on the
      projector? I'd really like to be able to use Linux for presentations.

      Thanks!

      Rob
    • Paul V. Gratz
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 31, 2005
        I have this setup to work on my I8500 w/ an ATI card. Unfortunately it is
        different depending on whether you have an ATI video card or an Nvidia one.
        Do you know which one you have?
        Paul

        On Wednesday 31 August 2005 09:31 am, iamwobster wrote:
        > Last night at a meeting I attempted to get my new Dell XPS-2 Laptop
        > running the latest Fedora 4 distribution to display on a Dell LCD
        > projector. I tried the magic Fn-F8 sequence, but the projector didn't
        > respond. I also reduced my resolution to 1024x768, but to no avail.
        > Unfortunately, I finally had to give up and reboot to
        > Windows XP which automatically switched the resolution and began
        > communicating with the projector.
        >
        > Does anybody no the incantation to get the laptop to display on the
        > projector? I'd really like to be able to use Linux for presentations.
        >
        > Thanks!
        >
        > Rob

      • iamwobster
        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 31, 2005
          Hi Paul,

          I have an NVidia 6800 Ultra.

          Thanks,

          Rob

          --- In linux-dell-laptops@yahoogroups.com, "Paul V. Gratz"
          <pgratz@g...> wrote:
          > I have this setup to work on my I8500 w/ an ATI card. Unfortunately
          it is
          > different depending on whether you have an ATI video card or an
          Nvidia one.
          > Do you know which one you have?
          > Paul

        • Alexandre Tessier
          Message 4 of 5 , Sep 1, 2005
            I have a NVidia GeForce4 440 Go. I use the driver from nvidia, named
            nvidia. It is not the driver from XFree/xorg, named nv.
            (http://www.nvidia.com/object/unix.html)
            Latest version is:
            http://www.nvidia.com/object/linux_display_ia32_1.0-7676.html
            There is a very good doc:
            ftp://download.nvidia.com/XFree86/Linux-x86/1.0-7676/README.txt

            I can use a projector with TwinView (Xinerama). You should look at the
            section Appendix G. Configuring Twinview of the doc.

            The device section of my xorg.conf file looks like:

            Section "Device"
            Identifier "device1"
            VendorName "nVidia Corporation"
            BoardName "NVIDIA GeForce4 (generic)"
            Driver "nvidia"
            # Option "NoLogo" "on" # NVIDIA logo splash screen
            Option "DPMS" # PowerSave
            Option "TwinView" "on" # enable Xinerama
            Option "TwinViewOrientation" "Clone"
            # RightOf, LeftOf, Above, Below, CLone
            Option "ConnectedMonitor" "DFP, DFP"
            # DFP=FlatPanel, CRT=Cathode, TV=TV
            Option "SecondMonitorHorizSync" "31.5-90.0"
            Option "SecondMonitorVertRefresh" "59.0-85.0"
            Option "MetaModes" "1600x1200,1600x1200; 1600x1200,NULL;
            NULL,1600x1200"
            # Option "MetaModes" "1024x768,1024x768; 800x600,800x600"
            # Option "MetaModes" "1024x768@1600x1200,1600x1200"
            # Option "NoTwinViewXineramaInfo" "off"
            # Option "IgnoreEDID" "off" # disable probing of EDID
            Option "UseEdidFreqs" "on" # EDID before HorizSync,VertRefresh
            EndSection

            Note that the first monitor is the projector and the laptop screen is
            the second monitor.
            You do not have to use <Fn><F8>. You change from one mode to the other
            with <Crtl><Alt><KP_+>/<KP_->.

            If you boot before you plug the projector, I think that you have to
            restart X when the projector is plugged in.

            You can change some options of the nvidia driver using nvidia-settings.

            Alex.

            iamwobster wrote:
            > Hi Paul,
            >
            > I have an NVidia 6800 Ultra.
            >
            > Thanks,
            >
            > Rob
            >
            > --- In linux-dell-laptops@yahoogroups.com, "Paul V. Gratz"
            > <pgratz@g...> wrote:
            >
            >>I have this setup to work on my I8500 w/ an ATI card. Unfortunately
            >
            > it is
            >
            >>different depending on whether you have an ATI video card or an
            >
            > Nvidia one.
            >
            >>Do you know which one you have?
            >>Paul

          • L.V.Gandhi
            Message 5 of 5 , Sep 1, 2005
              On 8/31/05, Paul V. Gratz <pgratz@...> wrote:
              I have this setup to work on my I8500 w/ an ATI card.  Unfortunately it is
              different depending on whether you have an ATI video card or an Nvidia one.
              Do you know which one you have?
              Paul

              On Wednesday 31 August 2005 09:31 am, iamwobster wrote:
              > Last night at a meeting I attempted to get my new Dell XPS-2 Laptop
              > running the latest Fedora 4 distribution to display on a Dell LCD
              > projector. I tried the magic Fn-F8 sequence, but the projector didn't
              > respond. I also reduced my resolution to 1024x768, but to no avail.
              > Unfortunately, I finally had to give up and reboot to
              > Windows XP which automatically switched the resolution and began
              > communicating with the projector.
              >
              > Does anybody no the incantation to get the laptop to display on the
              > projector? I'd really like to be able to use Linux for presentations.
              >
              > Thanks!
              I have ati in my i600m. How to do it for ati radeon 9000

              --
              L.V.Gandhi
              http://lvgandhi.tripod.com/