Re: [linux-dell-laptops] No Sound (Inspiron 2200 )

  • Herman
    Message 1 of 12 , Aug 27, 2005
      Vaibhav Vaidya wrote:
      > You could try ubuntu live cd... very nice h/w detection.

      Ubuntu and Knoppix are essentially the same - both are Debian based.

      Most Linux sound issues are solved by turning the volume up! Laptop
      machine hardware is always funky and some 'mixer' applications are
      better than others. The best one IMHO is kmix, since it has more
      controls than anything else and is therefore more likely to have a
      control for some mystery function on your laptop machine.

      Run kmix and turn all the sliders way up and turn everything on. If
      that still doesn't work, try turning things off one by one, since
      sometimes turning something on causes the sound to be sent somewhere it
      should not be going.

      On my laptop, I have to turn the 'external amplifier' on to make sound
      work and the master volume control does nothing, I have to use the
      headphone control. There is no rhyme or reason to it.

      Cheers,

      H.

      > */Alexander Toresson <alexander.toresson@...>/* wrote:
      >
      > On 8/27/05, ¶Ô¤Oªº½Þ <macau_fan@...> wrote:
      > > Hello ALL,
      > > I installed Mandrake 9.1 on Dell Inspiron 2200,
      > > But it failed to detected sound card.
      > > I've tried "modprobe snd_intel8x0" but not found.
      > > (Run "Knoppix" no sound also.)
      > >
      > > Please help
      > >
      > > Thanks!
      > >

      > Have you tried running alsaconf?
      >
      > Regards, Alexander Toresson

      > <http://us.rd.yahoo.com/evt=34442/*http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs>

      > * Visit your group "linux-dell-laptops
      > <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/linux-dell-laptops>" on the web.

    • Vaibhav Vaidya
      Message 2 of 12 , Aug 27, 2005
        Along the same lines, I had to run gnome sound card detection tool and play the test sound, every time (after every reboot/power on) I wanted my sound to work. This was using Red-Hat based Scientific Linux 4.

        --Vaibhav

        Herman <herman@...> wrote:
        Vaibhav Vaidya wrote:
        > You could try ubuntu live cd... very nice h/w detection.

        Ubuntu and Knoppix are essentially the same - both are Debian based.

        Most Linux sound issues are solved by turning the volume up!  Laptop
        machine hardware is always funky and some 'mixer' applications are
        better than others.  The best one IMHO is kmix, since it has more
        controls than anything else and is therefore more likely to have a
        control for some mystery function on your laptop machine.

        Run kmix and turn all the sliders way up and turn everything on.  If
        that still doesn't work, try turning things off one by one, since
        sometimes turning something on causes the sound to be sent somewhere it
        should not be going.

        On my laptop, I have to turn the 'external amplifier' on to make sound
        work and the master volume control does nothing, I have to use the
        headphone control.  There is no rhyme or reason to it.

        Cheers,

        H.

        > */Alexander Toresson <alexander.toresson@...>/* wrote:
        >
        >     On 8/27/05, ¶Ô¤Oªº½Þ <macau_fan@...> wrote:
        >      > Hello ALL,
        >      > I installed Mandrake 9.1 on Dell Inspiron 2200,
        >      > But it failed to detected sound card.
        >      > I've tried "modprobe snd_intel8x0" but not found.
        >      > (Run "Knoppix" no sound also.)
        >      >
        >      > Please help
        >      >
        >      > Thanks!
        >      >
        >
        >     Have you tried running alsaconf?
        >
        >     Regards, Alexander Toresson

        > <http://us.rd.yahoo.com/evt=34442/*http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs>

        >     *  Visit your group "linux-dell-laptops
        >       <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/linux-dell-laptops>" on the web.
        >
        >     *  To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
        >
        >     *  Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of

        http://mail.yahoo.com

      • Chun
        Message 3 of 12 , Aug 28, 2005
          I'll try to use "ubuntu live cd" for detect the SoundCard setting
          later. I'm downloading the iso from internet.

          Thanks!

          My box still No Sound in this moment

          --- In linux-dell-laptops@yahoogroups.com, Vaibhav Vaidya
          <ampfp@y...> wrote:
          > You could try ubuntu live cd... very nice h/w detection.
          >
          > Alexander Toresson <alexander.toresson@g...> wrote:On 8/27/05, ¶Ô¤O
          ªº½Þ <macau_fan@y...> wrote:
          > > Hello ALL,
          > > I installed Mandrake 9.1 on Dell Inspiron 2200,
          > > But it failed to detected sound card.
          > > I've tried "modprobe snd_intel8x0" but not found.
          > > (Run "Knoppix" no sound also.)
          > >
          > > Please help
          > >
          > > Thanks!
          > >

          > Have you tried running alsaconf?
          >
          > Regards, Alexander Toresson

          > Notebook computers Running linux Dell laptop Dell notebook computer
          Sony notebook computer Toshiba notebook computer

          Service.

          > ---------------------------------
          >

          > ---------------------------------
        • Chun
          Message 4 of 12 , Aug 28, 2005
            seems no "alsaconf" command in Mandrake 9.1.

            let me post more infromation here

            lspci:

            00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corp.: Unknown device 2590 (rev 03)
            00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corp.: Unknown device 2592
            (rev 03)
            00:02.1 Display controller: Intel Corp.: Unknown device 2792 (rev 03)
            00:1d.0 USB Controller: Intel Corp.: Unknown device 2658 (rev 03)
            00:1d.1 USB Controller: Intel Corp.: Unknown device 2659 (rev 03)
            00:1d.2 USB Controller: Intel Corp.: Unknown device 265a (rev 03)
            00:1d.3 USB Controller: Intel Corp.: Unknown device 265b (rev 03)
            00:1d.7 USB Controller: Intel Corp.: Unknown device 265c (rev 03)
            00:1e.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corp. 82801BAM/CAM PCI Bridge (rev d3)
            00:1e.2 Multimedia audio controller: Intel Corp.: Unknown device 266e
            (rev 03)
            00:1e.3 Modem: Intel Corp.: Unknown device 266d (rev 03)
            00:1f.0 ISA bridge: Intel Corp.: Unknown device 2641 (rev 03)
            00:1f.1 IDE interface: Intel Corp.: Unknown device 266f (rev 03)
            00:1f.3 SMBus: Intel Corp.: Unknown device 266a (rev 03)
            02:01.0 CardBus bridge: Texas Instruments PCI1510 PC card Cardbus
            Controller
            02:03.0 Network controller: Intel Corp.: Unknown device 4220 (rev 05)
            02:08.0 Ethernet controller: Intel Corp.: Unknown device 1068 (rev 03)

            --- In linux-dell-laptops@yahoogroups.com, Alexander Toresson
            <alexander.toresson@g...> wrote:
            > On 8/27/05, ¶Ô¤Oªº½Þ <macau_fan@y...> wrote:
            > > Hello ALL,
            > > I installed Mandrake 9.1 on Dell Inspiron 2200,
            > > But it failed to detected sound card.
            > > I've tried "modprobe snd_intel8x0" but not found.
            > > (Run "Knoppix" no sound also.)
            > >
            > > Please help
            > >
            > > Thanks!
            > >

            > Have you tried running alsaconf?
            >
            > Regards, Alexander Toresson
          • Alexander Toresson
            Message 5 of 12 , Aug 28, 2005
              It needs to be run as root and probably won't be visible if you ain't root.

              On 8/28/05, Chun <macau_fan@...> wrote:
              > seems no "alsaconf" command in Mandrake 9.1.
              >
              > let me post more infromation here
              >
              > lspci:
              >
              > 00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corp.: Unknown device 2590 (rev 03)
              > 00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corp.: Unknown device 2592
              > (rev 03)
              > 00:02.1 Display controller: Intel Corp.: Unknown device 2792 (rev 03)
              > 00:1d.0 USB Controller: Intel Corp.: Unknown device 2658 (rev 03)
              > 00:1d.1 USB Controller: Intel Corp.: Unknown device 2659 (rev 03)
              > 00:1d.2 USB Controller: Intel Corp.: Unknown device 265a (rev 03)
              > 00:1d.3 USB Controller: Intel Corp.: Unknown device 265b (rev 03)
              > 00:1d.7 USB Controller: Intel Corp.: Unknown device 265c (rev 03)
              > 00:1e.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corp. 82801BAM/CAM PCI Bridge (rev d3)
              > 00:1e.2 Multimedia audio controller: Intel Corp.: Unknown device 266e
              > (rev 03)
              > 00:1e.3 Modem: Intel Corp.: Unknown device 266d (rev 03)
              > 00:1f.0 ISA bridge: Intel Corp.: Unknown device 2641 (rev 03)
              > 00:1f.1 IDE interface: Intel Corp.: Unknown device 266f (rev 03)
              > 00:1f.3 SMBus: Intel Corp.: Unknown device 266a (rev 03)
              > 02:01.0 CardBus bridge: Texas Instruments PCI1510 PC card Cardbus
              > Controller
              > 02:03.0 Network controller: Intel Corp.: Unknown device 4220 (rev 05)
              > 02:08.0 Ethernet controller: Intel Corp.: Unknown device 1068 (rev 03)
              >

              > --- In linux-dell-laptops@yahoogroups.com, Alexander Toresson
              > <alexander.toresson@g...> wrote:
              > > On 8/27/05, ¶Ô¤Oªº½Þ <macau_fan@y...> wrote:
              > > > Hello ALL,
              > > > I installed Mandrake 9.1 on Dell Inspiron 2200,
              > > > But it failed to detected sound card.
              > > > I've tried "modprobe snd_intel8x0" but not found.
              > > > (Run "Knoppix" no sound also.)
              > > >
              > > > Please help
              > > >
              > > > Thanks!
              > > >

              > > Have you tried running alsaconf?
              > >
              > > Regards, Alexander Toresson

            • Nancy Rudins
              Message 6 of 12 , Aug 28, 2005
                On Sat, 27 Aug 2005, Vaibhav Vaidya wrote:

                > You could try ubuntu live cd... very nice h/w detection.

                Hi,

                I currently have Mandrake 10.2 running, and I have a similar
                problem with sound on my Inspiron 8500. I've been considering
                ubuntu. Do you prefer the ubunto distro over Mandrake? How does
                it compare with Mandrake wrt ease of installation, package
                management, etc? I'm a bit disappointed with Mandrake so I'm
                seriously considering a switch to ubunto.

                Thanks for any help you can give.

                Kind regards,
                Nancy

                > Alexander Toresson <alexander.toresson@...> wrote:On 8/27/05, ���O���� <macau_fan@...> wrote:
                > > Hello ALL,
                > > I installed Mandrake 9.1 on Dell Inspiron 2200,
                > > But it failed to detected sound card.
                > > I've tried "modprobe snd_intel8x0" but not found.
                > > (Run "Knoppix" no sound also.)
                > >
                > > Please help
                > >
                > > Thanks!
                > >

                > Have you tried running alsaconf?
                >
                > Regards, Alexander Toresson

                > Notebook computers Running linux Dell laptop Dell notebook computer Sony notebook computer Toshiba notebook computer

                > ---------------------------------
                >

                > ---------------------------------

                Nancy Rudins nrudins@...
                http://www.ncsa.uiuc.edu/~nrudins/

                Take a sad song and make it better. (lennon/mccartney)
              • Vaibhav Vaidya
                Message 7 of 12 , Aug 28, 2005
                  I havent tried mandrake :(
                  About Ubuntu: Installation was great, it uses qtparted for partition, which is a little quirky compared to disk druid. Otherwise, installation was flawless, sound, UXGA resolution on lcd panel, ipw2200 network card, everything works. mp3 and dvd are not enabled by default, but there's a website which explains steps to get them to work.

                  Even hibernate worked out of the box.
                  Only thing it's a little low on the default no of packages installed, and the root login etc is quirky (no graphical login by default). But otherwise it's pretty much 'just works'. Havent tried IEEE 1394, dont have bluetooth.

                  I have  a 9300, so I was pretty impressed that it supported a recent laptop. BTW, they ship free CDs, but it takes a LONG time. So just download.

                  Package management is with Synaptic package manager, and even third party packages (.deb since it's debian based) seem to install ok... synaptic detects manually installed packages too. It's pretty cool.

                  --Vaibhav
                  Nancy Rudins <nrudins@...> wrote:
                  On Sat, 27 Aug 2005, Vaibhav Vaidya wrote:

                  > You could try ubuntu live cd... very nice h/w detection.

                  Hi,

                  I currently have Mandrake 10.2 running, and I have a similar
                  problem with sound on my Inspiron 8500. I've been considering
                  ubuntu. Do you prefer the ubunto distro over Mandrake? How does
                  it compare with Mandrake wrt ease of installation, package
                  management, etc? I'm a bit disappointed with Mandrake so I'm
                  seriously considering a switch to ubunto.

                  Thanks for any help you can give.

                  Kind regards,
                  Nancy

                  > Alexander Toresson wrote:On 8/27/05, ¶Ô¤Oªº½Þ wrote:
                  > > Hello ALL,
                  > > I installed Mandrake 9.1 on Dell Inspiron 2200,
                  > > But it failed to detected sound card.
                  > > I've tried "modprobe snd_intel8x0" but not found.
                  > > (Run "Knoppix" no sound also.)
                  > >
                  > > Please help
                  > >
                  > > Thanks!
                  > >

                  > Have you tried running alsaconf?
                  >
                  > Regards, Alexander Toresson

                  > Notebook computers Running linux Dell laptop Dell notebook computer Sony notebook computer Toshiba notebook computer

                  > ---------------------------------
                  >

                  > ---------------------------------

                  Nancy Rudins nrudins@...
                  http://www.ncsa.uiuc.edu/~nrudins/

                  Take a sad song and make it better. (lennon/mccartney)

                  http://us.click.yahoo.com/T8sf5C/tzNLAA/TtwFAA/s5T0lB/TM

                  http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                  http://mail.yahoo.com

                • uteck
                  Message 8 of 12 , Aug 28, 2005
                    Ubunto is okay, it installs a complete desktop, but has nothing like
                    Yast or Draktool (or whatever it is called) to make admin easy.
                    Ubuntu expects you to find and use tools like Synaptic for packages,
                    and the various Gnome tools for system admin. My main complaint with
                    Ubuntu is that it has very little built-in support for new users.

                    For the money, I like Libranet for Adminmenu. It has a nice tool that
                    helps new users with complex issues like sound, wifi, and X config.
                    It is a bit pricey, but is totally Debian compatible unlike other
                    commercial Debians that are not (Linspire, Xandros)

                    Mepis is also good and has a decent admintool. It is free, but there
                    have been some issues with it not being totally compatible with the
                    standard Debian repositories.

                    On 8/28/05, Nancy Rudins <nrudins@...> wrote:
                    > On Sat, 27 Aug 2005, Vaibhav Vaidya wrote:
                    >
                    > > You could try ubuntu live cd... very nice h/w detection.
                    > >

                    > Hi,
                    >
                    > I currently have Mandrake 10.2 running, and I have a similar
                    > problem with sound on my Inspiron 8500. I've been considering
                    > ubuntu. Do you prefer the ubunto distro over Mandrake? How does
                    > it compare with Mandrake wrt ease of installation, package
                    > management, etc? I'm a bit disappointed with Mandrake so I'm
                    > seriously considering a switch to ubunto.
                    >
                    > Thanks for any help you can give.
                    >
                    > Kind regards,
                    > Nancy
                    >

                    > > Alexander Toresson <alexander.toresson@...> wrote:On 8/27/05, ¶Ô¤Oªº½Þ <macau_fan@...> wrote:
                    > > > Hello ALL,
                    > > > I installed Mandrake 9.1 on Dell Inspiron 2200,
                    > > > But it failed to detected sound card.
                    > > > I've tried "modprobe snd_intel8x0" but not found.
                    > > > (Run "Knoppix" no sound also.)
                    > > >
                    > > > Please help
                    > > >
                    > > > Thanks!
                    > > >

                    > > Have you tried running alsaconf?
                    > >
                    > > Regards, Alexander Toresson

                    > > Notebook computers Running linux Dell laptop Dell notebook computer Sony notebook computer Toshiba notebook computer

                    > > ---------------------------------
                    > >

                    > > ---------------------------------
                    >
                    > Nancy Rudins nrudins@...
                    > http://www.ncsa.uiuc.edu/~nrudins/
                    >
                    > Take a sad song and make it better. (lennon/mccartney)

                    no .sig found
                    Please restart your browser.
                  • josephleebrandt
                    Message 9 of 12 , Aug 29, 2005
                      --- In linux-dell-laptops@yahoogroups.com, uteck <theuteck@g...> wrote:
                      > Ubunto is okay, it installs a complete desktop, but has nothing like
                      > Yast or Draktool (or whatever it is called) to make admin easy.
                      > Ubuntu expects you to find and use tools like Synaptic for packages,
                      > and the various Gnome tools for system admin. My main complaint with
                      > Ubuntu is that it has very little built-in support for new users.

                      While I admit Mandrake has the Control Panel which lets you do
                      anything. I used it for a couple of years. It is a crutch lets you
                      control Mandrake but not learn Linux. Ubuntu has excellent support.

                      http://www.ubuntuguide.org

                      A hand holding walkthrough to setup your Ubuntu.

                      http://www.ubuntuforums.org

                      A very good forum setup with an excellent search engine.